ATI (AMD) and NVIDIA Fix Prices in the US!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by thecake90, Jul 16, 2008.

1. thecake90

thecake90 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    Class actions charged against NVIDIA and ATI (now AMD) reveal that the two companies may have staged a competition over the past half-a-decade or so. A judge read out an email which suggested price fixing was rife in the graphics card market. That follows a class action of 51 different plaintiffs, now combined into one, and across different legal jurisdictions, alleging cartel behaviour not only in graphics chips, but flat panels and CRTs too.

In other words, NVIDIA roduct launches among other things. These pseudo-competitions staged providedand ATI may have been fixing prices of their products for a while now, it is believed that they held secret meetings to discuss staged competition, chart out prices, timings of p improved sales among other things. A PDF File available to us at this point shows that the two indulged in conspiracy to mutually benefit from staged competition, so as to:

* Fix, stabilize, and maintain prices of products in the US Market.
    * Artificial inflation of product prices.

Provided, are charts that show price-spread between NVIDIA and ATI products. Three major time-scales: Before the 'conspiracy period', during and after a federal grand jury launched an investigation and issued subpoenas to both companies:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sources:
    http://www.itexaminer.com/nvidia-ati-accused-of-price-cartel-grand-jury-involved.aspx
    http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202422773207

Lets hope they stopped doing that :bang:
    Companies like this make me sick :puke2:

2. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    Interesting. I wonder when this whole court thing is going to start.

(I hate graphs that do not have ALL axises labeled, even if it is easy to understand. How hard is it to put a ****ing label? It is even worse when graphs are poorly labeled in scientific publications)

3. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I am not sure the court would come down on AMD as it did not do anything like this and upon purchasing ATI you can definately see that they have remained on schedule and their prices of been continually decreasing leading to a competitive market.

Did ATI and Nvidia do this? Idk, to be honest it may look like it, but at the same time their product price was a result of X card costing X amount of dollars and the new cards perform X amount better than the last resulting in X amount increase in cost. Do this over and over again and you will see where prices got where they got.

I believe by law they have to have some sort of evidence that ATI and Nvidia were in cahoots with each other and you would have to prove that their prices and performance were not legitimate. I mean, making GPUs is not an easy task, there are most definite hiccups discovery process would show this and probably get it dismissed. You would also have to consider the fact the amount year over year how much performance doubled each time.

4. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    Well, if getting an 8800 GT for $76 new is price fixing, then give me more of it.

If they are just talking about new cards though.... then perhaps. I always thought nVidias cards were a little more expensive than normal.

To be honest, it seems like a coincidence to me. Not to mention... didn't AMD/ATI lose money in the graphics card sector?

5. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570M 3GB
    Yeah, without the both axises labeled, for all we know, "22" could be the approximate date that ATi was purchased by AMD, which naturally caused some chaos with release dates and pricing.

Then again, the merger could be "11," and "22" would be the release of the GTX280 vs the 4870. During that period, AMD were pretty much stuck closely following nVidia's pricing and release dates, otherwise they would lose a LOT more money after acquiring ATi and their debts.

6. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Obviously if that was the case the judge wouldnt even consider taking this to court

So it's probably a date but we don't know which month

7. SamW

SamW Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    I think 11 is the 5xxx nvidia and ati 9xxx generations.
    and the post doj period starts of with the dx 10 cards.

i think the numbers just represent different gfx card releases... but i don't know how they condense them to 22 releases. nor what comparable graphics cards are.

this information can be found in the pdf file...
    and a link to the pdf file.
    http://madmikemagee.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/nvid.pdf

The pdf mentions a year delay of the NV40 and RV400 stating that either card could have pushed forward.
    This delay does however coincide with the release of PCIe slots.
    Maybe they should also subpeona intel for thier involvement with pcie...

another question... Was there really secretive meetings between ati and nvidia. or where prices adjusted by each company simply because everyone knew ati's and nvidia's moves for the next 6 months? Does this priceing really have to be because of secretive meetings?

I don't think this kind of evidence can hold up, by itslef, in criminal law... but this is a civil case, so this is probably going to be a nasty battle.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008