ATi 8.07 beta - 256mb fix..

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Bilko, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Bilko

Bilko Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1900XT
    I'm puzzled a bit here.

ATi released the betas of the 8.07 drivers a while back, and after installing them I got an ASTOUNDING increase in FPS and benchmark scores. The beta drivers apparently included a fix for 256mb cards.

I am still running these beta drivers but i'm wondering, when are we going to see this fix included in official cats?

If they improve the card so much, why are they still not making it into official drivers?! :rolleyes:

2. sh33p

sh33p Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D x800pro | 474/491
    they may be still ironing out some issues with the 256mb fix...it worked well but maybe they could push an ounce more out of it?

theyve released ati 4.11 beta currently, maybe it has an even more ironed out bugfix?

it seems no1s even tried the release, theres not even a stickied thread about it like there normally is

3. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    i thinks that the 4.11 beta set is for win 98/me only at the moment.

im quite sure that ATI will release 4.11 finals in the coming weeks cos HL2 is released next week and it has to look and run sexxeh on ATI cards :rolleyes: :D

4. Jazzy^Jeff

Jazzy^Jeff Guest

No threads on the 4.11 betas?

The beta 8.07 drivers are the 4.11 betas, which ppl have been using for awhile, the set just release for win98/me have prob just been modified to work on them op systems.

5. Davy2

Davy2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon x800Pro+Samsung 172X
    Yea, I was wondering the same. I got a really big performance increase. (the only one I've ever got from drivers, period, and a big one.) I'm keeping them until they include the update in an official release.

6. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    4.11's will be released next week, as they have been holding them off until HL2 comes out as they have performance enhancements for it. :)

8-07's are the beta 4.11's. :)

7. alcatraz

alcatraz Guest

Ah perfect, I thread that fits in well with my questions! ;)

I just finished setting up my PC after a format. Everything pretty much all done. All I need to do now is install the Graphics drivers!

So, the questions...

(The card is a X800xt 256mb)

Do I install 4.9 first, followed by 8.07's or just 8.07?

Many thanks,
    Chris

8. StatyxiVi

StatyxiVi Guest

what exactly was the 256 meg bug?

9. sh33p

sh33p Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D x800pro | 474/491
    There was a bug in previous driver versions of the cats that restricted the graphics card to use alot less memory in graphic intensive tasks causing less performance..

the 8.07 beta resolved the issue...by fixin it lol

10. some1

some1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX285 OCX
    Just uninstall your old driver, use Drivercleaner to clean it up and then install the 8.07 betas, if you own a 256mb card, you certainly won't regret it!

11. alcatraz

alcatraz Guest

ok, thanks buddy.

I don't think 8.07 (wxp-w2k-8-07-018380E) come with ccc. So, I guess I just install that after? (wxp-CATALYST-CONTROL-CENTER-17307).

lol, grr and someone told me that I need 4.10 (wxp-w2k-ccc-8-051-040825a-017633c) becuase i'll need to extract it and install the Theater stuff!

umm....maybe wait for ATI 4.11 Officials! ;)

12. some1

some1 Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX285 OCX
    Basically, you can download with ccc or without.... the choice is yours...

13. alcatraz

alcatraz Guest

oh? 8.07's come with ccc? and theater drivers?

14. alcatraz

alcatraz Guest

15. sh33p

sh33p Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D x800pro | 474/491
    4.12 because they include the 256mb bugfix and a fix for the punkbuster and hanging pc's issue if u play anything related to PB

16. Whesel

Whesel Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070 Super
    You confirm - as in testet 4.12 has the bugfix ? B'cuz the 4.11 dosent have the bugfix - even when the releasenote state that it has the fix. doh!

To answer the question about how to see if the set has the fix - just run 3d05 - in the first test it's very noticable - when opening baydorrs the FPS drops significantly - to around 10 on my system - whereas it's around 17 when the fix is present in the set.

Hope that made sense :)

17. Whesel

Whesel Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070 Super
    Ignore what I wrote about 4.11 - I installed older version - probably 4.10 or older. doh!