ATI 5970 To R9 290

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Frag-master, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Frag-master

Frag-master Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    Hi all,

Had my trusty 5970 (This is the single card with two GPUS) since release number years ago, Looking to upgrade to something newer, see the the price of the R9 290 going down ?

Is this a worth an upgrade you think ?

Will be running my 3 screens still.

Thanks
    Karl

2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Hold till end of March, next month nvidia and AMD shall release their next gen cards.

3. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    It should be a nice performance upgrade over what you have.

I loved the 5970's back in the day, never had one myself though unfortunately. Don't suppose you have a picture of it do you? :)

4. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    I did this upgrade about 8 months ago. from a Asus Ares 1 5970 x2 to 2 r290x never looked back nice performance boost. I still have the ares in its metal flight case too :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015

5. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Wow, that's awesome. You have to keep that to show the grandchildren.

Would you mind if i use some of those pictures on the AMD UK Facebook page? Sometimes we like to post great cards from a previous generation. :)

6. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    No problem at all, help yourself.

7. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Thanks. :)

8. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    if you want the originals i can google drive them to you or mega or something

9. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    That would be great. I'd love a picture of the box/case with the name of the card on display, then a separate picture with just the card on its own with no name visible.

I will then post it on Tuesday and see if our fans can guess what card it is and reveal the answer the next day.

Send me a pm. :)

10. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    Done

11. RaoulDuke4413

RaoulDuke4413 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 3gb
    Had my 5970 for four years, just upgraded to a Sapphire R9 280. I mostly play the borderlands series (dx9). It played those fine, but games like shadow of mordor and da:I bogged it down. Im seeing a good improvement, you should see even better with a 290.

12. Frag-master

Frag-master Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    thanks for all the replys guys :)

I think may aswell hand on too see the new releases so it will last me a long time just the 5970 is..

Fingers crossed AMD / Nvidia bring something that blows all older cards out the water.

13. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I upgraded from a 5970 to a oc'd 290 few months after BF4 release. Around 8 months ago IIRC, as it started to struggle with Ultra textures and tessellation heavy games and the drivers started to go backwards optimisation wise as they obviously started concentrating on new cards.

It was a substantial upgrade due to the fact the 5970 kept running out of VRAM which was it's Achilles heel, sucked at tesselation and I could take advantage of the latest optimisation war.. If it was not for that it would have lasted up a fair bit longer.

My original plan was to crossfire the 290 in the future unless the 390? is x2 the speed. But now that the new console ports and engines looking for unified ram, I would recommend to wait for the next card and get one with 8GB vram, possibly even more to future proof for the whole ps4/bone cycle with ultra settings.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015