ATI 5970 Micro Stuttering?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Jumba77, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Jumba77

Jumba77 New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD Radeon 5870
  2. Domingo

Domingo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 (EVGA)
    If you check our threads below, I think this has to do with certain driver settings for the 5x series in general. I have a fix that worked for me (forced vsync + no bluetooth mouse) but I think it's specific to certain hardware configs.

In terms of what it is - it's almost like everything is a little jittery.

3. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    have they not fixed this issue yet ?

4. zshadow

zshadow Active Member

All dual GPU setups suffer from 'microstuttering' to some degree. Whether or not you notice it is a different matter. If you are sensitive to things like this then I recommend sticking with a single GPU like the 5870.

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I notice no micro stuttering and I've owned a 3870+3850 setup, 4870/4890 setup and now two 5770s. In that time I've had the 4870 and 4890 on their own also I saw absolutely 0 difference, and I think in large part this "Micro stuttering" is a made up tale. Maybe it happens, but it doesn't have to do with dual GPU solutions. More likely it is a misinterpretation of another issue or some kind of driver incompatibility.

6. D3lta

D3lta Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7970 DCU2
    Stuttering, is not a problem for ATI cards today....:)

7. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Thats not what they would have you believe!

8. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    it was when i had a 4870 512

9. psyside

psyside Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 @1150/6000
    Yes, there is microstutter on every dual gpu configuration brand (Does not matter)

Still some notice it some aint.

10. zshadow

zshadow Active Member

This is true to some extent - many people mistake HDD lag for microstuttering. Microstuttering is when the game is running at a fluid FPS but still appears to skip frames. I have seen this phenomenon myself - but it is easy to miss unless you're looking for it.

11. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Allot of that , is also from your monitor.... Ghosting, etc.... monitors speed , etc.... many factors.. right down to imagination can point to what people call Microstuttering

12. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    if i remember correctly, microstutter can also be due to the method of crossfire rendering. ie for split frame rendering where half the frame is rendered per gpu, if one gpu lags or outperforms the other, then a microstutter may occur.

or for alternate frame rendering, if one gpu is slower than the other, it may not have created the alternate frame quick enough.

most of these though are reasons why its recommended to crossfire with same card same company same oc. or if your computer is fast enough to exceed 60fps (per card-ish) and you run vsync, you can generally avoid the issue of one card rendering faster/slower than the other as both cards will just render the set amount of frames, no more, no less.

however, these are only a few reasons, there are many others as Datagg3 has mentioned.

13. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    It do exist, it actually forced me to go from GTX295 to GTX285, because some games (there was clearly some that were more effected than others) like Lord of the Rings Online had these strange tearing and kind of "lightning" effect going across the screen when I jumped and moved the camera fast, after disabling one of the GPU's this strange effect disappeared instantly.

That's why I ended up with a GTX285 instead, why this strange effect occurredI really don't know, but it happened in quite a few games, seemed pretty random expect for Lord of the Rings Online which was the worst game of them all.

Might have been the drivers, might have been some hardware issue.. I don't know, but annoying it sure was!

But I'm sure things like that improves with every new generation, and after all AMD / ATI have more experience with these dual-gpu solutions than nVIDIA.

14. Jumba77

Jumba77 New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD Radeon 5870
    Well thanks for the help everyone, I'm going to go with the 5870. It has all the performance I need and I could always buy another if I need more. Now I know about micro stuttering I am sure I will subconsciously try to notice it and it will annoy the hell out of me.

15. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    And this is the problem with this Microstuttering nonsense.

It exists in so few cases, if any, but it stops people from getting what they truly want because they're so afraid of it.

As I've said..I've owned no less than three crossfire setups across many platforms...0 microstutter.

16. Gripen90

Gripen90 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I've run multi gpu setup since the 3dfx Voodoo 2 SLi days and I never experience any microstutter in a noticeable form.

17. ratatatatatatat

ratatatatatatat Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 480 SLI
    Hey. I've had a GTX 295 for about 7 months. I've been wondering why it seems to be running at about 30fps for fractions of a second, when Far Cry 2's in-game FPS counter says 59.8fps. It had been bugging me for months so I overclocked my i7 920 to 4.2ghz, then my 295 with EVGA voltage tuner to 1100MV's and then pushed my card to 700/1509/1200 which has been stable for months and has significantly increased my FPS but still the, what I self claimed to be 'flickering'........ Also, before the GTX 295, I had a 4870X2, which was also producing the flicker, so I sold it and upgraded but still the flicker. It became so annoying in some cases that I'd spend most of my gaming time screwing with configs and finding custom .cfg's etc etc to get rid of it but it's never gone away. So, I've done a bunch of research into the 5890 and came across the term 'microstuttering', whilst on my search for a solution and upgrade. So, I disabled SLI, put in Far Cry 2 and not only did my FPS stay at 60 (with vsync and 60hz monitor) but the microstuttering disappeared. NICE! Finally can finish this game, although 5 hours in it's pretty dull but still...........

So from what I've learnt over the past months, microstuttering is definitely an issue with the 5890/5870CFX believe it or not. It's disappointing cos GTX 480 SLI/5890 sounds so freaking good but lately, if it's anything to go by, the other half of my GTX 295 is getting pretty cold. fingers crossed for a stutter free SLI/crossfire card/s.

18. d2k

d2k Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 BE
    5890..???

ive experienced 0 microstutter with the 5900, early driver revisions saw a little non fps related stuttering but its been gone since 10.1

its really not a problem, i speak to loads of owners & none of those see it either...

earlier dual GPU solutions suffered badly (the GX2 was terrible), but its all but gone now.. :)

19. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    No microstutter here or 4870trifire. I remember having some with my 8800gt sli, but maybe it was some driver related.

20. ratatatatatatat

ratatatatatatat Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 480 SLI
    ok, sounds promising. For anyone with the infamous microstuttering with Far Cry 2, try gfx_maxfps 62. (depending on monitor refresh rate, make it about 2fps over the refresh rate of your screen). I had it at gfx_maxfps 60, which allowed it to drop just below 60fps, which caused the microstutter. Probably old news but it was a break through for me tonight. SLI working pretty well now in FC2. Cheers.