Ati 5870 (rev.2)!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by jamiee, Jan 25, 2010.

1. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    Sapphire HD5870 Vapor-X (rev.2)!!

Hey guy's,

I placed an order with Extreme PC.ca a while back for two Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X cards and hadn't heard any updates on the status of said order. So I wrote them a quick e-mail today and asked for an update.
    I was quite surprised to get this response from their hardware devision:

"We just got the rev 2 shipment of these cards with new rev 2 bios and newer cooler running HD5870 chips! Your order was sent to shipping dept!"

So looks like there's a new revision of the 5870 Vapor-X hitting the shelves!

[EDIT] Changed the title

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Jedi Titan XP
  3. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified

Ah, thanks for the link...

Look's like there's been a few changes to this card... Namely it comes with a blue PCB (I'd prefer black - but blue is OK), and the power connectors are placed on the end of the card. Their also seems to be a possibility that the overall length of the card has been shortened.

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    it is strange that guru did not review this card

5. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    Put together a quick image of both the rev.1 and rev.2 cards.
    Indeed, the new rev.2 card does look to be a little shorter in length compared to the earlier card.

Click on image:

[​IMG]

6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    its nowhere near short enough for sapphire to justify putting the power connectors on the end of the card...

7. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I'm guessing voltage control goes into the toilet as well, when they move away from the reference PCB.

8. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    Question is, why the move away from the reference design?
    And will this be the only 5870 model to do so?

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Vapor-X is designed specially to provide quite and cool.
    However even the reference 5870 that i have,it idles at 20% fan and temps are 35-38C so i think the reference have already a very good cooling system.

10. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I'd wager the usual reason, to cut costs.

Fewer layers on the PCB, voltage control circuits that can't be software-controlled, shaving off a few caps etc.

There are a few cards that end up with better components, granted, but if you don't see a significant price hike associated with a switch from a reference design you can be quite certain the change is made to cut manufacturing costs.

11. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    Just noticed this posting on Newegg:

"Pros: To help to solve the length debate, I just received mine from UPS, and measured the PC board, and it measures 10 inches. Correct,, only 10 inches, nearly 2 inches shorter than the standard 5870's. Sapphire continues to out-do itsself.

Other Thoughts: Also, on the box is a sticker claiming that they use new MOSFETs on the board. This is probably a new feature of this revision and they are using the same boxes as the first revision.
    "

If those measurements are correct, then 2 inches shorter than the stock card is pretty impressive and should allow enough clearance for the power connections at the end of the card with tight cases.

Can't wait for my cards to arrive tomorrow!

12. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    Which cards :p

13. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Jamiee,
    I'm now very curious about your card so please give us an update as soon as you can tomorrow! I recently had to sell my GTX295 (needed funds for Christmas) so I'm using my backup card (GTS250 1GB) to hold me over until Fermi is available but its just not powerful enough at the resolutions I use. In any case I'm about to buy a 5870 (the same card your getting tomorrow) so I'm waiting to hear back from you before actually purchasing it!

14. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    Roger,
    I suspect that if you've read any of the stock HD5870 or Vapor-X rev.1 reviews, then you'll have a very solid idea of what to expect. While there has been some recent changes to the Vapor-X model, I'd doubt it if any of that will show up in terms of increased stock "out of the box" performance.
    The updated GPU could be a little more efficient, but that would just be presumption on my part.

Like you though, I will be switching over from Nvidia to Ati, and that should prove to be an interesting experience!
    I've run only Nvidia cards in my desktop PC's since the GF3 Ti500 was released... So it has been a while since I've touched any Ati hardware.
    (Well actually my laptop has two ATi 4870's in it, but I really haven't messed around with them much).

I'll try and take some pictures once the cards have arrived and give you guys my early thoughts. :)

Cheers,

15. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    Thanks mate, your reply is greatly appreciated! In hindsight your absolutely right about me having a very solid idea of what to expect (given all the research I've done during the last few weeks)! However I'm still interested in your thoughts given that like me your making the switch over to ATI from Nvidia (I've never used an ATI/AMD graphics card ever)! Of course all the "Driver Issues" posted everywhere have me a bit hesitant/worried but there are also many people who have not had any major issues! Well thanks again man I hope your card arrives on time, lol!

16. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    Bah, "driver issues" occur with just about any piece of hardware. I can easily find just as many people complaining about Nvidia drivers as Ati. It's just the nature of the beast. If anything I'm under the impression that Ati/AMD have really been working on improving things over the past couple of years. Also the 5xxx line of cards is new and the drivers haven't matured yet.
    When it comes to new hardware I always live by the motto: "hope for the best, expect the worst" :wanker:

I hope the cards will have arrived by the time I get home from work tomorrow evening. I'll take pic's and hopefully get them installed sometime after that.

BTW, here's a comparison image of the PCB (BACK SIDE) between the stock and two Vapor-X card revisions. (Scale not exact)

Click on Image:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  17. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    Just another quick update:

1. This guy measured his REV 1 Vapor-X card in the video and it measures approx. 10.5"
    (video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oXBOuj8SI8

-So that means the new REV 2 card is actually only .5" shorter in length compared to the earlier model.

2. The MOSFETS have been updated on the REV 2 card for greater efficiency in power/thermal handling and are smaller size (hence the shorter PCB length)

18. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    Well So far the card's haven't shown up.
    According to the tracking info, they've been sitting at the postal sorting facility since 2am this morning :bang:

19. Roger_D25

Roger_D25 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX980Ti
    There is nothing worse than waiting around for UPS/Fed-Ex/Postal Service to deliver your new hardware (especially when the new hardware is a high-end graphics card)! I bet they just haven't updated their "tracking" info and your card(s) are on their way or at least already on the delivery vehicle! Then again maybe the delivery driver just forgot to pick your package up so its just going to sit in their warehouse all day long (just joking man)!

20. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    Lol. sadly you're most likely right on the last part!
    The cards were picked up yesterday afternoon, but for whatever reason (and I've been checking every 20 minutes - all day long) they ended up at the sorting facility on the other side of the city and haven't budged from there since.
    Canada Post is usually (well, reasonably) accurate with their tracking info, so I'm guessing that for whatever reason, the package just didn't make it onto the local delivery truck.

Odds are pretty slim that I'll receive the cards today.