ATI 4870...is this normal..and what to change in specs?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by toivonen, Jul 20, 2008.

1. toivonen

toivonen Member

Hi, 1st of all sorry, cause i know these questions are comun to appear, but i search and till now didn't find some of the answers to my specific specs, now the questions:

2 years ago i bought a spec that generally is..Intel E6600, GF 8800 GTX, Asus P5B Deluxe, VGSKILL PC2-6400 PK Dual Channel 2 Gb , SCYTHE NINJA PLUS REV. B, LC POWER ARKANGEL V2.2 850W...1 month ago my graphic card went dead, and they didn't acept the RMA, so i bought the Sapphire 4870..i knew that my processor is bottleneck, but till xmas i can't aford an upgrade...i run windows xp, so i can only use 3DMark 2006..to my surprise the score was not much great (in fact was almos the same, probably 100-200) points more..the score was 10924 (CPU score was 1890), is this normal?..i mean even with this bottlenecked processor, should i get more (mind you i have no OC, both in CPU as in GPU)...

Is my PSU enough?
    The guy in the store made me an OC (put the E6600 at 3.6), but when i arrived home the thing was stable, but surprisingly slower than no OC...where can my CPU go, is there any page that shows how to do a OC to that specific processor??
    Is there any specific bio settings i must change to this graphic card?

Oh, a ver important information..i had to do a system recover, so i didn't made a fresh install...could that be of any importance??

Sorry, and MANY THANKS if someone can help me

2. pint

pint Active Member

GPU:
    club 3d 4870
    don't wory 3dmark06 is crappy bench , to much is dependant of you're cpu
    if you grt a qaud (q6600) you're score jumps aprox 2000 points , whats the logic in that ?
    mine scores aprox the same points in 3dmark06
    more important is that my games run as they are on speed
    so you see i don't care about some crappy benchmark , i play games and not benches
    till now the best card i ever had
    so throw out you're 3dmark !#@#$%@@@%&# and start enjoying you're games

3. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Overclock your CPU to 3.2Ghz or more...and you'll see performance jump in everything...including 3Dmark06, games...so that guy in the store did something very wrong... put the setting in bios to default...and then overclock the CPU correctly...You will have no problems with bottleneck once the CPU is correctly overclocked, to 3.2Ghz+

4. CustardMarv

CustardMarv Member

GPU:
    XFX 4870 X2 DDR5 2GB
    i just got a sapphire 4870 A few days ago:

my 3dmark06 : 14,657

sm 2.0 : 5975

sm 3.0 : 7546

cpu score: 3345

my setup:

Intel E8400 @3.6ghz
    sapphire 4870 ddr5
    2gb crucial 1066mhz
    windows xp.

My advice is overclock your cpu, that score i too low m8, i got 11,000 with a 8800gts.

Your psu is fine. Which ati drivers are you using?

5. toivonen

toivonen Member

Well i'm using the 8.7...also i noticed that the board doesn't suport PCI 2.0, is this correct, might that have any effect?!

6. toivonen

toivonen Member

Anymore ideas?

7. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V

The lack of PCI-X 2.0 is a bit of an issue. 2.0 offers twice the bandwidth of 1.0. Your card is 1.0 compatible but, its like a 2 lane highway with 1 lane blocked at rush hour. Eventually it just backs up in the buffers if ya throw enuf at it. I agree with the others here, 3M06 isnt the somethin to put alot of faith in as far as the numbers it produces and comparisons it gives. It IS however in my opinion, a good reference insofar as seeing if yer OC or drivers are stable...if its gonna fail 3DM06 will make it happen lol

I use Vantage and before that 3DM06 as a reference between drivers\tweaks. What i mean is I would run the program and record the numbers. Then after i would overclock or tweak or update drivers I would run it again and note the changes. I find these synthetic benchmark programs only useful and accurate when compared to previous results in the same system. Comparing to other systems is shotty at best due to all the possible variables -CPU brand\rev\stepping, RAM brand\timing....right down to what OS with what updates and personal configs- all of which can impact a synthetic rating....sometimes alil.... sometimes alot. Comps are like ppl.... no 2 are ever the same.... even if they are identical machines

Lemme know if theres anything further you require

Zyro

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  8. toivonen

toivonen Member

Thnks for all you help guys...right now i'm in a crossroad, as there is so much diferent variables that can affect my performance, that i don't know what to do...the most likelly is that the diferent reasons you guys pointed, are all combined to give me that somewhat poor performance. So right now i'll do the follow...make a fresh install of my SO, wait for definitve ATI good drivers, than slowly make some conservitive OC to my CPU.
    After that, i'll see the results...than in XMAS i'll make a almost complete change of my rig...nem MB, new CPU, nem sticks of RAM..new PSU...and only than i suspect i'll have a good idea of what my 4870 can achieve...specially since by than i'll probably add another 4870 in crossfire...till than, i'll live the best way possible with what i have, and can't be sad, cause i've already a machive aible to run very well all my games..let's say i'm just to "piccky"...
    ...you're help as been apreciated, cause it gave me some "lights" to what could be the problem..to all, MANY THANKS

9. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    cheers!

Good form! -claps- I'm pretty new here on the boards but I been lurking for years. Always good to see someone close up an issue with a thank you to the vanguard
    -thumbsup-

Zyro

10. toivonen

toivonen Member

:)...i know what you mean, it should be so simple..i needed help, i asked for it..you guys gave the best you knew, it helped me...so what else to do, that to THANK you!!? Why people choose always the, wrong way of "expressing" theirselves as persons?!...Aren't we all here...so why making things even harder, than what they already are!??!

Like the immortal words of Jack Nicholson "...why can't we all just get along!?..."

11. toivonen

toivonen Member

:infinity:..I know, some would say it was Rodney King that said that...but i prefer to quote Jack!