1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI 4850 Installed Getting Weird Crashes (never seen these before)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by blacksnow, Jul 4, 2008.

1. gigarello

gigarello New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 4850 512MB
    Ciao
    Same issue here: after 2 minutes or less of high gpu load (Crysis or 3D Mark) I got no monitor input, sound loop, reboot...

Tried with a fresh reinstall of Windows Xp and now Vista 64 bit, nothing changes.
    Tried installing last motherboard firmware, same story.

I'm using stock frequencies (never overclocked), my case is well-ventilated and my psu is powerful.

Gpu temperature is not the problem, to proof that I got some stats with rivatuner:

[​IMG]

As you can see temperatures never rises over 51°C and when the system crashed the values gone out of bounds.

I'm still searching for a solution.. I'll try down-clocking the gpu..

Nobody found a solution till now?

2. gigarello

gigarello New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 4850 512MB
    Running FurMark with stock clock the system lasts less than 30 seconds.

Tried down-clocking forced to 500Mhz gpu and 750Mhz vram (instead of 625/993), this time the system running FurMark lasts more than a minute but then fails again.

Each time the system fails when the gpu reaches approx 51°C

I really don't know how, the temperature is quite low, but the system always fails when core temperature reaches 51°C, so I must conclude that the problem is surely temperature-related.

3. !H'Guru

!H'Guru Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 @ 925/4900 Rivamod
    Let's see...You could have a bad BIOS. Or even bad sensors, because the values don't make sense :). You could try a bios update from your vendor and see if it helps. Usally a vendor has a guide for users to do this.

4. gigarello

gigarello New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 4850 512MB

Ciao
    As I already said, I'm on last motherboard bios.

I just tried installing DNA modified drivers: the system lasts till 54°, then fails, in less than 30 seconds running FurMark.

Many users got the same issue as me, I'm still wondering to know why that happens..

In another forum I found a user saying it's the VRM overheating.

Maybe it's my bloody Connect3D Radeon HD 4850, I'm thinking about sending it back for RMA

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009

5. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    when u down clock, try down voltages too with atitool, might be psu not giving enough juice for it

6. gigarello

gigarello New Member

GPU:
    Radeon 4850 512MB
    Hi
    Sent my bloody Connect3D Radeon HD 4850 for RMA, they give me back a Gigabyte one with zallman heatsink :-D

7. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    All you have to do is go into your add/remove programs, and remove all ATI software by removing catalyst install manager.

There is no need to reformat and reinstall windows.:3eyes:

8. Lewts

Lewts New Member

GPU:
    4850 1gig
    Hey, I had the same problem as the OP a few days ago. My graphic card would crash when I played games after a few seconds, black screen, no way to get anything back. Updated the bios on my asus P5Q pro, updated CCC... nothing changed.

The issue I had was that I changed the original cooler on my radeon 4850 because it was crap and after 3 months one of the small ram heatsinks I had installed (accelero S1, rev2) had become loose and didnt cool one of the vga ram properly. So if you guys are experiencing the same kind of problem, chances are it's your card overheating.