ATI 4850 Installed Getting Weird Crashes (never seen these before)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by blacksnow, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Wapocara

Wapocara Member

GPU:
    VisionTek ATI 4850
    Ok I tired the new hotfix to get verion Driver Packaging Version 8.501.1-080621a-065814E-ATI but that doesn't fix crysis either. If anyone else wants to try the hotfix is here http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894 look for "Radeon™ HD 4800 Series Hotfix" near the bottom of the page.

2. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I wondered that too, and perhaps it is the PSU getting too hot??? maybe it can cope intermittently with high wattage throughput but doing it consistently is causing it to shut down when it gets too hot.

I wouldn't feel comfortable running a 500W with that setup.

3. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    I too have the issue with the black screen when running Furmark. Happens within a minute usually. Mine is water cooled with sinks and a fan blowing over the rest of the card. Tried 8.6 - 8.6hf, 8.7 beta. All do it. My load temps dont break 40c.

4. ERGlabs

ERGlabs New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD4850 512
    Methinks I spy a solution

Aight gents,

Had the exact same problem, (crashes to desktop, spontaneous shut down 10-30 min into anything that made heavy use of the GPU) thought it was a powersupply issue as well, but the fact that we all have more or less the same Gigabyte motherboard made me suspicious.

Turns out that the original bios for the MA78G- whatever boards do not like the new HD 4800 series. I re-flashed the bios to the newest version (f4 for me), and all my graphics-card woes went away. It also fixed some flaky boot problems when you run with 4Gb of memory. And it makes me coffee in the morning and walks the dog when I'm at work.

Anyways, grab the new bios from gigabyte, give it a run. I do not recommend the @BIOS program that gigabyte uses, it hiccuped and about bricked the motherboard. Put the .f4 file on a blank thumbdrive (FAT) and use the q-flash utility built into the bios.

Since this thread has been comatose for a week, you may have figured that out already. Good Luck.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008

5. deus145

deus145 New Member

GPU:
    Asus ATI 4850 512
    Don't know if people are still having this problem, it started happening to me also. I'm running on a Asu P5n-d mobo, with the Asus ATI 4850, so I dont know if it is like what ERGlabs said about being the mobo. I'll try and update the mobo's Bios and see what happens. As far as the problem, seems like every else is describing it, game hangs on intensive gameplay, in Assassins Creed, Grid, and Crysis.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  6. mintor

mintor Member

GPU:
    ATI 4850 512
    my 4850 gpu stay at 39c idle on 104% 50c testing temp and speed of fan using gpu-z manual set fan at 90c work fine for me overclock it 650/1150 mhz .

7. mintor

mintor Member

GPU:
    ATI 4850 512

same windows vista 64 , used dna drivers and fix it. said manual set fan on the card at 90% overclock at 650/1150 mhz.

8. Wapocara

Wapocara Member

GPU:
    VisionTek ATI 4850
    I got my problems solved. I always had the latest F5 bios, so that wasn't the problem for me. What solved the problem was getting rid of the videos in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Game\Localized\Video just move em to a backup folder. Now crysis starts up fine.

I think I had a slightly different issue then the OP, but that worked for my "black screen on startup" problem.

Curious is that also if I play a WMV in windows my system reboots. I have not figure out how to solve that one yet.

9. deus145

deus145 New Member

GPU:
    Asus ATI 4850 512
    Can cpu temps cause a gpu to reset? It seems to me whenever the hangs occur they are in intensive gameplay, whether taxing the cpu or gpu, but my cpu temps rise to around 50C.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  10. Wapocara

Wapocara Member

GPU:
    VisionTek ATI 4850
    FYI, I determined that my WMV play back problem is CCC. If I don't start the process then my WMV files play fine. However, if I put the Crysis video files back then disabling CCC doesn't allow Crysis to run with the intro files.

11. Wapocara

Wapocara Member

GPU:
    VisionTek ATI 4850
    My problems have returned. When running Maya if I switch from single view to 4 pane view my system with crash a restart fairly often. If I turn of CC it seems to be better but will eventually crash.

12. ReDi

ReDi Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 CF
    Just want to make a general statement, I'm not implying that it's the case for all isntability problems. However, I think everybody putting a 48x0 into their system should make sure they have the latest motherboard BIOS version.

I had huge stability problems with my brand-new system, which I finally tracked down to be BIOS-related (actually with the help of other people here at Guru3D). After I updated the BIOS of my mobo from F4 to F8, all problems were gone and I've been getting solid performance without a single hiccup since then.

13. Wapocara

Wapocara Member

GPU:
    VisionTek ATI 4850
    What sort of PSU are you running?

14. AXS

AXS Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 4800 UPCC
    I used to have same problems as mentioned above, but turns up they were not driver related but GPU HEAT RELATED:

[​IMG]

Those were my temperatures in IDLE - when playing games it crashes/reboots the system after a certain time (CoD4, BD2, The Witcher, Crysis...). Had the latest drivers of course....

[​IMG]

These or my temperatures in IDLE after changing the Cooler. Played same games for hours (3 - 6 hours) and no crash. That with same drivers as before.

15. janolle

janolle Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD4850
    I had to register just for this thread.

I'm experiencing the same problem: Lockups in GRID and Crysis. Sometimes I can play Crysis for hours but GRID always forces me to reboot after less than 30 minutes of playing. Older games work like they should.

I've tried all Ati driver that I've stumbled on, overclockin/underclocking, changed my PSU etc... I don't have a temperature problem and my PSU is sufficient. My motherboard is an Asus P5Q.

16. spanket

spanket Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770
    i had crashes when i got my 4850 too.
    cause was my mobo nortbridge was overheating coz of 4850 being so hot and right next to it must have been heating it too much. i put a little fan on it and pc has not crashed since. THE 4800 DRIVERS ARE STABLE ITS YOUR SYSTEM. run cpu, ram at stock then try again

17. janolle

janolle Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD4850
    I thought of that earlier and did attach a Noctua NC-U6 with a fan on my NB so that's not my problem. I have rounded the problem down to the graphics card or it's drivers...

18. Wapocara

Wapocara Member

GPU:
    VisionTek ATI 4850
    I am running everything out of the box, so no overclocking, so that is not my issue. I have heard that if you install vista with the 3200 onboard running (comes on the GA-MA78GM-S2H) then install the 4850 this can cause problems. Hopefully next weekend I'll find time to try a fresh vista install with the 4850 installed.

19. Wapocara

Wapocara Member

GPU:
    VisionTek ATI 4850
    Well found out something new. If I turn off Enable Desktop Composition under Performance Options then I can, so far, run Maya fine. This however does not fix Crysis for me if I put the video files back. Ah well. At least I can use everything now...

20. BahamutxD

BahamutxD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 GamingX
    My first post in this forums so first hello to all hehe :D

As the thread starter said, I am aswell getting that issue about the black screen with a no input supported messaged in it.

At first I thought it could be that my power supply couldn't handle such a card, got a Tacens Valeo 460 but realized that it was pointless since crashes came up randomly after some time playing (not much tho), still most of the times it crash is just after a couple of seconds after the game is loaded.

I also thought that my monitor could be the problem, but I have never had a problem with it, it's an Acer x223w that can support up to 1680x1050 @ 60 and for example I can play WoW at that res for unlimited amount of time with no problems at all. But I once chanced a video option ingame to improved video quality and crashed after 5 seconds.

Tryed several drivers, from official and betas to DNA... also did a full format of my HD with no success, tryed updating drivers from monitor aswell, motherboard...

At the moment my last hope is to do a BIOS update, which I'm finding quite a bit of trouble to do or hoping for ATI to fix the issue via their drivers, if it's possible at all.

Cheers for any incoming help :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008