1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athlon XP Overclocking Guide

Discussion in 'Links' started by WildStyle, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Well, let's say, as far as I know, there is no way to unlock a post 0339 Athlon XP. They are 'hard locked' and cannot be unlocked.

2. Toxic Worrier

Toxic Worrier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Well, off to the for sale or trade section with my Audgy2ZS, Want to buy mine ? 80.00...Only 2 months new. I think the onboard audio on my Epox is supposed to be killer,,specs. http://www.epox.com/USA/product.asp?id=EP-8RDA3plus Well, WildStyle,,,,if its locked like fort knox, Im thinking, the best memory possible is a must. Final question for now. what brand and cas would you recommend.

3. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Hehe, no I'll pass thanks. I love my SoundStorm.

Why would you need the best possible memory? It'd be well overpriced for what it is...
    I think some good PC3200 would do the job, basically what I said before... The Corsair Value stuff is fine, or Geil Value, Kingston Value, Twinmos.. all decent. I'm not a believer in buying top RAM, because I don't really feel that spending double the price for slightly better timings is worthwhile. That board would probably top out about 220FSB with stock cooling on the NB, perhaps a little higher, so either some good PC3200 or PC3500. Look at the brands I mentioned previously. Also Kingmax are good too.

4. Toxic Worrier

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalrighty then,,,,Thank you for your time. If you should come across some used 3200, drop me an email or something,

Peace

5. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    No worries. This thread, as well as myself, are here for a reason. :thumbup:

Only thing about used RAM is that I'm in the UK and you're in the US. I guess just check the Buy/Sell section here from time to time if you don't want to buy new.

Take care now.

6. Toxic Worrier

GPU:
    GTX 275
    Thanks again

Last edited: Jul 15, 2004
  7. EDogg007

EDogg007 Guest

Temps

Hey everyone, I just got my mobile athlon 2400+. I have it clocked @ 2.335ghz , with a voltage of 1.72 and my temps are idle 43 and load 51c with a TT Silent Boost Copper Cooler. On a hot day the idle temp sits @ 45c but load is the same. Are these temps to High?

8. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    No, they are fine. :)

Start worrying when you get to between 55-60c full load. :eek:

9. Thaer

Thaer Guest

Loved the guide!
    but I wonder if you cold make a similar guide for the socket 754/939 systems?

The things you wrote about was of interest in the beginning of 2003, now is 2004 and maybe it's time for an update?
    I think me and many others would appreciate that!

10. Thaer

Thaer Guest

By the way, I've been thinking of buying a GeIL 1024MB (kit of 2) RAM package.
    It runs at PC3200 / 400Mhz. It has it's own heatsinks and everything. Do you think it's a good choice or should I maybe go with the Kingston Hyper X or something else maybe?

11. Schumi4ever

Schumi4ever Guest

In a couple of days I should be getting my new mobo and memory and Im planning on overclocking (for the first time, Ive got an amd athlon xp 2800+, unlocked mp).

Because its my first time Ive read a lot about and eventually came up with the following theory for myself:

First my equipment:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (barton)
    2x512MB PC3200
    abit an7

What I was thinking:

- First lower the timings of my ram as low as possible
    - Then lower the mp to try to get the highest fsb
    - Raise the fsb as high as possible with a 1:1 ratio with the ram (standaard fsb is 166, ram can do 200mhz)
    - When Ive reached the highest fsb untill I lose stability (this must be when the speed of my ram cant go higher right?), I raise the vdimm and try again and again (max vdimm to use: 2,8)
    - I then change the fsb:ram ratio so I can go even higher with the fsb without the ram going faster.
    - When I finally have my max fsb (in the meanwhile also adjusting agp/pci speeds) I change the mp so that mp*fsb is near the standard speed (=2083Mhz)
    - Then raise the mp by 0.5 each time till I lose stability, then raise the vcore to a maximum of 1,85.
    - Keep doing this untill I get my highest cpu speed.

Thats basically the theory I came up with for my first overclock. Anybody seeing any hitches or other problems with this? :)
    Please tell me ;)

12. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yeah yeah that'd be cool, but I don't have experience with Athlon 64's and such yet... and until I get money, I won't - hence I can't put another guide together. :D
    Maybe in the future some time.

13. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I would say that's essentially it. You've taken note of the precautions I said about, which is good. I would say one thing though - leave the RAM timings 'til last of all so they can be adjusted to suite your new FSB.
    Anymore questions? Or shall I just let you give it a go and you can post back here if you need any help?

14. Schumi4ever

Schumi4ever Guest

I had deciced a long time ago I wanted to overclock so I started reading a lot about it. Im having to wait however for my new mobo (and some other stuff) to arrive before I can finally start.

All the while I had therefore learned a lot about overclocking, but just theory. But Im getting closer and closer to the moment that I can actually try:D

And Ive decided earlier today to leave the ramtimings alone because I heard they couldnt really be lowered ( but the speed could very well be overclocked :D)

When Ive received my motherboard and post it here and also the end result of my overclock. Heck, why dont I make an entire guide through my journey of my first overclock :D But well see that later ;)

(btw: Im planning on buying the abit an7 for my amd athlon xp 2800+, the coolermaster jet 7 cooler and 2x512mb pc3200 memory (from mdt or something. Someone reported he could overclock the mem to 220 or 250 or so:eek: And its cheap :D 78 euro's)

15. Schumi4ever

Schumi4ever Guest

Small update: Ive decided to sell my current motherboard+cpu+memory and Ive today order the amd 64 3200+, an msi motherboard with the nforce3 250gb chipset and 1gb of ram :D

16. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Fair enough. I hope you got a good deal. :)

17. Schumi4ever

Schumi4ever Guest

Ive got my 64 3200+ :D

And Ive already overclocked :)

Its now running @ 2400Mhz (default: 2200)

Later Ill see if I get 2500, at my first overclock :D

18. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    Any suggestion how can i oc my pc by fsb...because with my mobo when i raise the fsm also agp/pci raises automaticaly...and when i raise fsb higher than 169 i get a memory dump error.

19. bbc58206

bbc58206 Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
    maybe u should reset to default, before increase ur fsb..try get the highest fsb before u increase the multiplier. PC 3200 may push fsb to 200.

20. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    No PCI/AGP hey? You're a bit unfortunate then with that KT600 board. Do you know if you're multiplier is unlocked? To test, try changing it in the BIOS, reboot, and then see if you're clock speed has changed (use system properties or CPU-Z.)
    If it's unlocked, you can lower it to 10 for example, and raise the FSB to 200 to get your 2GHz, and it should do that on stock voltage (1.65v.)
    If it is locked, you've really only got two choices of FSB, 166 or 200. So to get to 200FSB, you'd be using a multi of 11.5x on that 2600+ Barton and so you'd be @2.3GHz. This may work, but you'd need a lot of extra vcore if it did, and thus you'd need good cooling...

Let me know the situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.