Athlon 3200+

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by heartsfan, Nov 11, 2006.

1. heartsfan

heartsfan Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6600 GT 256mb
    For the past couple of years I have been using an AMD Athlon 2000+ (Palomino) processor and a Thermaltake Volcano 8 which was running at 3800rpm which gave a Temp reading of 48C idle and 49C full load.

I now managed to get a cheap AMD Athlon 3200+ (Barton) processor and a TR2-M3 SE (Thermaltake) fan which runs at 2519rpm (I wanted a less noisy fan as the Volcano was like the space shuttle taking off!!!!) but my new CPU runs at 55C idle and 61C full load (running Prime95 torture test for 25mins).

Does these temps sound ok?

I did hear from a mate that Bartons run cooler than Palominos and was expecting a lower full load temp of 61C.

2. Willy Boy

Willy Boy Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek PX 7800gtx x2 sli
    Dunno about the Palomino but Xp Athlons run pretty hot :
    Eg my Athlon 3200 with a large gigabyte cooling fan on at idle is usually 51*C to high 50's when gaming or running full load, fan is running 2600rpm approx. [Tried several diffo heatsink/fans in past but all been pretty much same]
    Think they can stand temps 75*C+ so not to worry
    PS Hope you put the thinest layer of thermal paste on the cpu before fastening on the fan/cooling block, small amounts is good too much makes it run hotter, just a thought ! Set your max temps for cpu in bios for 75*C then if it hits that temp it will beep..gigabyte mobo !

3. heartsfan

heartsfan Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 6600 GT 256mb
    Yes I did put only a small amount of paste on the CPU.

I wish I could set max temp in my bios but even after pressing ctrl F1 to get extra settings my Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ motherboard doesn't have a shutdown temp setting!!!!

Thanks.

4. Agent_D

Agent_D Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    they did run hot, but 61c is a bit high, my suggestion if you want a cool running, no noise solution, get a thermalright SI-97A heatsink for it with a 92mm thermaltake silent cat fan. i had that setup and a barton 2800+ at 2.45GHz and highest it ever got was 44C load, usually ran 29-31C idle.

5. woodward

woodward New Member

GPU:
    XFX 6600GT x16
    well i had a 3500+ with just the standard heatsink and fan and that was about 30-35 idle and full load about 50 tops i think, so sounds a bit out of measure esp as its a lower spec one which normally should be at slightly lower temps pal

6. Agent_D

Agent_D Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    ^ he's talking about a 3200+ athlon xp, not a 64