Asustek reports losses in 4Q 2018 due to Smartphone Business

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. yeeeeman

yeeeeman Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    When you're selling only big slab phones, it is to be expected.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Particularly in an already over-saturated market at a time when smartphone technology is starting to plateau in terms of performance and desirable features.

4. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    To be fair, asus does a terrible job loading up the hype train for any of their phones. I don't even know if they've released a new one this year and I don't miss much.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yep, Asus is a no-name in phones. But they are king of the hill in motherboards. Sticking to what one does best is good business practice imo.

6. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I had no idea they even made phones.

7. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Guess those 1337 ROG gam3r phones didn't work out, huh...

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    When I check phones and make decision about upgrading, I make list of acceptable chips and then see all available phones with those chips.
    ASUS phones often appear in the list but do not survive other checks. And it the end, their good phones are around 25% more expensive than comparable phones from other brands.
    Yes, there are even more expensive phones with very comparable chip, memory, storage, ... but there are those much cheaper too.

Like new Samsung phones. Price looks really bad, but those cameras there... hard to find anything remotely close. And that seems to be ASUS's problem. Their good phones are well rounded (nothing extra), but not cheap. And people who already look at that price tag are willing to look $100~200 higher too.

9. Unstizzy

Unstizzy Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC
    I own the Zenfone 5Q and it's a hell of a phone. Got it for around $270 when it came out and I haven't had any major complaints about it. Battery life is awesome.

10. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    How are Asus upgrades, prompt security updates, and how many years support do you get on their phones?

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I literally though their last phone was the zen phone 2!

12. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I don't know if they treat their phones like their tablets but if they do it's no wonder people don't buy them.

I bought a Z301MF brand new in store from Asus like 1 year ago. Still stuck on Android 7. Some apps wont install because my devise is not supported. It was cheap and i don't regret it because i did not want to spend around 800$ CAD for an iPad or Samsung Galaxy Tab but still ... The Z301MF is still sold today in store (not discontinued yet) and is not even 2 years old and is not updated anymore already. The Tab S3 tablet by Samsung was released at around the same time as the Z301MF tablet and will get the Pie update next august. My iPod 4 was supported by Apple for around 3 years. It was cheap and i don't regret it but that's definitely my last tablet by Asus and i wont even waste my time looking at their phone.

Solfaur likes this.
  13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Also the glorious ages of smartphone is far away...
    Even Samsung and Apple change their plan because they are facing the same problem (and i don't speak about chinese brand that close agency to stay in the race).

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @MonstroMart are any custom roms around? Like lineage (not justifying asus at all i im just curious).

15. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I doubt its just the phone. They probably lost quite a bit of money on their on their overpriced gaming laptops and the PG27UQ because no one was buying them.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well phones... my co worker baught 4 asus phones of the same model (not sure which one), and he had to return three of them withing weeks. Asus probably lost money on that family alone, I'm not surprised.

17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    None of them officially support the tablet. I guess it would still work if i installed them but i'll wait for it to be more outdated. Android 7 is still okay. Just disappointed by the lack of support by Asus specially since the hardware itself is nice. It's not a powerhouse by any mean but it gets the job done and the 1080p display is very good. For the price (260$ CAD) it's a nice FHD tablet. Just wish Asus would at least update it one last time. I think expecting 2 years of support is not asking too much.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Venix likes this.
  18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @MonstroMart yeah even more when the tablet is still on stores.