ASUS Xonar Xense - Speakers & Headset?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ZodiakSL, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ZodiakSL

ZodiakSL Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper
    Hello everyone :)

I am new here and I am searching for an answer to a problem I am experiencing.

I currently own an ASUS Xonar Xense soundcard with an onboard headphone amp, it also comes with a very nice Sennheiser headset. One problem I dont know if it comes from the Sennheiser PC350 or the Xonar souncard is that the volume from the PC350 doesnt mute using the volume control on the headset itself when you turn the nob to 0. You still end up with 10-20% sound.

The soundcard uses 1/4 jacks for the headset which also has the same. The soundcard also has a breakout cable that connects to the back and then breaks out into individual inputs for a 7.1 speaker system.

I also own a very nice Logitech Z906 speaker system.

The problem I am experiencing is that I find it very cumbersome, especially when playing fullscreen video games, to have to access the ASUS sound panel to switch between the headset and speakers everytime.

Now I may be experienced with hardware and computers, but sound is where I am lacking in experience.

From what I hear, Windows is unable to output sound to 2 devices at the same time from 1 soundcard, which I really don't understand why.

After much consideration, this is what I am thinking, and please let me know what you think.

I need to find a hardware sound mixer, nothing complicated. If I get a small easy to use sound mixer that has a microphone input, I can use extender cables with 1/4 jacks to go to the soundcard's mic input and to 1 of the mixer's source input's. I could then use the other inputs for the 5.1 audio of the Logitech Z906.

Doing this would allow me audio from both sources at the same time and give me physical controls over both sources and possibly fix the audio mute of my headset?

Are there any cost effective 5.1 audio mixers outt here that are small and user friendly?

Would I lose my 5.1 Audio?

I don't know where to ask these questions as I don't know any high end pc audio forums to help me answer these questions.

Thank you for any help you can provide :)

2. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    I'm pretty sure it would have relays on the sound card that swap between the analog speaker outputs and the headphone amp so it would probably be physically impossible to do both at once. I have also read somewhere in a review that they couldn't turn the headset below 25% volume with the in line control so it may be normal.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I just use the mute button on my keyboard or turn the sound down on the keyboard using the desired key,works great with no problems:)

4. ZodiakSL

ZodiakSL Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper
    What I mean is if I used only 1 of the 2 outputs of the card, for instance, the 7.1 breakout cables displayed here

[​IMG]

And connected those to a sound mixing device's input, and then from the output of the mixer, I would plug in my speakers and headset.

Then I would get sound comming from only 1 source, going to multiple devices.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Actually that product above looks perfect. What do you guys think?