Asus Xonar ST - speakers?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by jrcbandit, Jan 18, 2010.

1. jrcbandit

jrcbandit New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870
    I gave up on proper W7 drivers for my Auzentech Prelude (that don't crackle) so I bought a Xonar ST primarily for my headphones - Audiotechnica A900, but I would also like to hook up some speakers to it. My current speakers are an old set of Logitech 5.1 speakers, the non-digital THX ones.

For speakers, the Xonar ST only has 2 RCA outputs (left and right) and a digital coax/SPDIF - there is an option for a 5.1 analog daughter card but it hasn't been released in the US yet and there are no proper drivers for it even if I imported it from Australia.

I looked around and there does not seem to be any PC speakers that have digital inputs other than the Logitech Z5500 which are priced out of what I want to spend (less than $250, would like around $150-200). Why are all the PC speakers analog only?

I can't really use a receiver - I already have a receiver in my bedroom and a set of 5.1 Velodyne speakers but they are on the opposite side of my room near the TV, and I am not about to have 2 receivers in my bedroom as there wont be enough space ;p.

So any suggestions on what to get? Should I go with a nice set of 2.1 speakers and if so which ones? Another alternative would be a set of "low end" studio monitors that would be 2.0, although I am not sure if any would have enough bass.

I guess the other option would be to wait for the H6 daughtercard to be released for the Essence ST, but the release date is very ambiguous in the US. I heard 1-2 months in November, it is now 2 months later and no word so far.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The H6 DAC expansion card for the ST doesn't need special drivers.
    The card connects up and the base card puts new options in the settings panels.
    At you price point, your never going to be able to get a digital speaker set that will surpass the DAC quality in the card so you might aswell go analog.

3. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 Ulltra
    Probably doesn't help too much but im running "Creative GigaWorks T40 Speakers" from the left/right outputs... They sound very very nice and they are pretty cheap too.

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II

5. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

sup rob!

instead of 1/4" headphones.. could one go with 1/4" active pro speakers @ xonar st ??

thanks!

btw.. since 1/4" has made it to a pc sound card.. would be nice of asus to release/do a full 1/4" 5.1/7.1 sound card

6. barwell1992

barwell1992 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    id agree with this

Ps i have those speakers as rear's and they are plenty good enough until you can afford some betters ones

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I wouldn't recommend people driving one amplifier off the output of another as you con introduce alot of distortion
    I have a few cards that use 1/4 TRS jacks. These are seen more for recording cards and not so much for home theater cards. I think many would take the RCA's on this card over the TRS jacks. I prefer either to the 1/8" min i jacks seen on most soundcards.