ASUS Xonar Essence STX Review [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 13, 2009.

1. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    Very nice review ROBSCIX. Very detailed.

2. pysik

pysik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 460 OC 1Gb
    loved the review with all the details, and changing out the opamps. hopefully more to come in the same way

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Count on it;)

4. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    Well in that case Great work Robscix,very very impressive review with all the info one could need.
    I assumed Hilbert wrote it due to the above comment on you doing the forte review.

I look foward to seeing more reviews from you.

As for Hilbert you always do a great job anyhow.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    An 18 page review about a sound card? Orgasmic. Reading it now, I felt I had to show my appreciation before I read it.

6. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    About the in depth bit, I enjoy in depth reviews & mhz/khz etc. However, I have utterly no idea what all this stuff means when it comes to sound cards, I know physically/mathematically what, for example, 50hz-50khz means, but what does that translate into audibly? Graphics cards are a lot simpler, look at the framerate with various IQ's and you're done, sound cards not so much.

I could really use an in depth primer on sound card statistics/benchmarks, what they mean, the effect of each number/measurement etc.

Other than that, great review. If I had some cash to blow on a new set of headphones & a card that's the sucker I'd get. Also, I liked this review a lot better than the extremetech review I read awhile back. Kudos for a job well done.

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I try to add informations to help people. THe sections help to relate to people what they are getting for their money.

8. {FO}Maniac

{FO}Maniac New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia gtx560
    i would have loved to have seen the X-fi in there in the review...comparing them to each other are like comparing all ford's but no other car maufacturer....basicly, i think that those of us that do have X-fi's are sitting here wondering if we should upgrade, or are we fine with what we have, ya know?

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The STX is a stereo/headphone card. Comparing it to a surround card is similar to comparing apples to oranges, there is only so much you can compare....sure they are both soundcards...but they are vastly different in function and intended user group.

Actually, I think if your already considering if you should upgrade then you already know the answer;)

10. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    It's great review!. But I would suggest using a reference product as comparison. For example, using a X-Fi sound card and do switch back A-B (apples to apples). I understand judging audio all comes down to one's taste. But having a reference will give others a base point. You could use other audio hardware you own.
    Thats would be a common way how Audio forums write reviews. I like the explanations of the Opamps. very clear!

11. lilohtpc3

lilohtpc3 Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4870X2 TOP/2G
    Great review.

One thing wanted to see tho, is the headphone amp quality in compared with CANs and dedicated amps.

Since there is not many sound card with headphone amp capability, I thought it worth more efforts to tell us how good it is, and how it worked on those crazily expansive high impedence headphones.

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I would if I had them to test. I used the Sennheiser HD595 ~$250 and the new Beats which are $400. That is as far as my reference headphones go...

To note, Many compared this cards amplifier to amps costing many times more.

13. zifnab

zifnab Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 560 TI GC
    Sorry Rob but you are wrong. Asus' support is horrible. Go read their actual forums, not stuff "around the net". I've had this d2x since the week after it's release and have patiently waited since then for a final driver. Its been almost 5 months since the last BETA update driver with the promise of more frequent driver updates that fix known issues with the D2X. Now, I am aware that they have released more cards since this one but this was the cream of the crop 200 dollar card when it came out and to turn your back on customers of your high end products is just plain bad business. I get that the hardware is there...but without support to go with it...worthless in my opinion and I just feel that this is an aspect someone reading a "top pick" review should be made aware of.

14. HammerSandwich

HammerSandwich New Member

GPU:
    9600GT
    ROBSCIX, can you confirm the RMAA frequency-response graph? Excepting 24/192, the results are impossible.

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well that is your opinion. I have tested basically every single one of their cards and they have all performed quite well on my test system and when they don't I make a note of it. I have went to their support forums many times but they are support forums, what do you expect to hear? People have difficulties with soundcards for varying reasons. Mobo, Bios, GFX card..drivers..DX...etc..etc
    You cannot judge another product based on results your getting with another model. I prefer to talk with actual, users who are testing the card out for varying tasks. You have your opinion, just as I have mine.
    I had no trouble with the STX, except where I noted it. Your waiting for a driver, what troubles are you having?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Oh, how's that?

17. lilohtpc3

lilohtpc3 Member

GPU:
    ASUS EAH4870X2 TOP/2G
    Some kept questioning the customer service, I think they got the impression from the support forums, but to me, it's really the nature of all support forums that you'll only see people complaining and yeilling.

18. HammerSandwich

GPU:
    9600GT
    Digital recording can't handle frequencies above 1/2 the sampling rate, so the RMAA curves extend too high in the treble. For example, the 44.1KHz result should roll off rapidly between 20 & 22KHz. Compare Figure 1 from Stereophile's Benchmark DAC1 USB review.

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The card is spec'd for <10 to 90Khz for frequency reponse. It seems your mixing up Nyquist theorem with frequency response.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  20. HammerSandwich

GPU:
    9600GT
    It might handle 90KHz, but only with a 192KHz sampling rate. Asus's specs include that detail on the website, though the manual appears to have a typo. What am I confusing about Nyquist? Surely it describes FR limitations. How could 48KHz sampling accurately capture changes that happen (almost) twice as fast?

Anyhow, I think something's screwy with RMAA. SPCR reported similar results in their HDAV1.3 review. You'll need to download their full results to see the sampling-rate comparison.