Asus xonar DX and logitech z5500

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Ji1986, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX N560Ti TwinFrozr2
    I set sats as Small and only Center as Large. Rest, crossover was set at 65hz! On certain tracks using Foobar with channel mixer plugin i am getting popping and crackling sound from woofer. Only at high volume levels say 85%. Previously, this wasn't happening.
    Yes, system is connected through Analog. I am using latest drivers for Xonar as well.
    Ok, i'll go with what you're saying. If you're using Z5500 with xonar as well then could you post your settings for movie and music playback. I am using Foobar for music playback and MPC-HC x64 for all movie formats playback.
    Post the settings any way, so that i can tell you my experience.
    Let me know, if you want to see my settings screen shots. Its just i haven't been experiencing the crackling sounds from woofer before. Is it because of Foobar channel mixer plug in or because of normalization level in MPC HC?
    Should i try checking sound via laptop?

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well I would try getting rid of the channel mixer or just setting things to default and see if the crackling goes away. There should be no crackling at all... Try setting the bass redirection and bit higher.
    To note, your center is also a small speaker. Large speaker are full range speakers such as tower speakers.
    You have these settings now, are you using them for gaming, music, movies?
    The big question, does the system sound noticeably better?
    If the system doesn't sound better to you then by all means go back to what you had.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  3. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Guest

GPU:
    Ok, disabled channel mixer in foobar. At 120hz and above that, there is no crackling from sub. However, the bass reproduction dropped significantly.
    Two questions though:
    1. Can i try checking bass at highest system volume with Bass level set to max?
    2. Furthermore, when Flexbass is ON. As I slide the crossover up (provided speakers are set to "small"), then rather than acting as a crossover, it is acting like a low cut.
    That is, if I slide it up to 120hz and beyond, its starts to sound like a radio - no bass at all! As soon as I set one or more of the speakers to Large, this no longer happens, and full bass is always present....?

Well, mainly for Music and Movies. And yes, sats sound more clearer now. I have set both Surround & Center sound level to max. The audio is more sharp and clear, but sub bass response seems somehow to be limited. I dont know, may be this is because of the latest asus xonar drivers? Coz, previously...there was no crackling from sub at all!
    One more thing, i also tried connecting speakers to laptop. I tried, playing those particular tracks, and there was no crackling at all. Whats wrong?
    Thats why i was asking your suggestion on settings! :)

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    1. You can try but you might damge the system. Max settings are usually not advised!
    2. Hmm, when you do a signal test, does your subwoofer say "subwoofer" during the channel test? Wondering if they might be switched around with the center. There should actually be a setting to reverse them. Cent/sub I mean.
    You used the same stting on the laptop and everything was fine?
    It may be the drivers or a setting.'
    I feel bad now, as I was trying to help not cause 20- more questions for you!

I have a feeling your sub input is not working...COUld be wrong but I would verify the connections. It is easy for the sub/center to get reversed.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010

5. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Guest

GPU:
    back to previous settings and driver pal.
    everything seems just fine. Woofer is thumping and booming as it should be.
    thanx anyways for trying. :)

6. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Ive always understood, that the built in circuitry of the Z5500's sent any frequency of less than 150hz to the sub regardless of what your software settings are, so yes, you could have no output from the subwoofer jack and you'll still get bass from the sub as the receiver on the Z5500's as I said just sends less than 150hz to the sub, and there's no way to stop it.......

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=188656

These guys say the same.

I may be wrong, but you two guys are arguing about settings, and you may be getting exactly the same sound due to the Z5500's internal processing!

This is why setting the satellites to full range or large doesn't actually make any difference to the sound too, as its all treated the same way by the z5500's processor....

7. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Guest

GPU:
    ^true, when user isn't on 6 channel direct setting, in which Z5500 accepts signals from sound card output directly!

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well, atleast you gave it a try.
    Enjoy.

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, but 6 channel direct is waiting for 6 channels from the audio source.
    With your settings you only have 5... No subwoofer output from the card.

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    No. Changing the cards settings from small to large changes what signals are sent to the sat's and sub from the card. So the signal is changed long before the speakers.

11. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Hi, i know this thread is old, but i really want help from you guys if you are still here.

I have Xonar Phoebus + Z5500 Digital, should i use the Flex to 150hz or 80hz for the best bass and sound, and i mean real not booming or artificial/robotic or whatever people call that.

EDIT : using analog

EDIT 2 : What can i possibly do when i'm using it to optical to PS3 ? i will get sucky sound ? compare to the pc ?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  12. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I would set it to between 80hz-120hz and just hear which sounds deeper :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    IIRC, with those speakers, the THX standard they are built to uses 80hz.

I would work with the crossoverpoint and adjust it to taste, some like it a bit higher and some like it a bit lower.

14. gripper

gripper Guest

GPU:
    hd7850
    Youre all wrong.
    Z5500 are engineered to work as they are, using its own internal crossover.
    Logitech engineers set the sub to produce upto 150hz as the satellites are not capable of producing full mid range on their own.
    If you set your soundcard to route all frequency below 80hz to sub alone, then where do you think the 80-150hz is going to come from? Setting the crossover frequency is only needed when using custom 5.1 setups, as they have no way of knowing what sounds to route where.

Leave z5500 as it is. It needs no extra settings in windows to work. They knew what they were doing when they set it this way. The satellites are poor, they need the sub to produce upto 150hz to compensate for their lack of size.

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I don't think you are understanding the system properly.
    The system also has an internal crossover but it is only used in certain circumstances.
    If they are designed to "work as they are" why do they have a dedicated subwoofer input? The system is designed to use a dedicated subwoofer channel from a surround sound input.

We are talking about 6 channel direct sound so the card produces a signal for EVERY channel. Without the cards X-over setup you will not receive a dedicated LFE/sub channel for your music, games or movies.
    You will still have some bass but you will miss the dedicated bass signal.

This speaker system is probably the most incorrectly setup systems for PC speakers. For people that still use those old speakers.

However, set up your speakers as you wish (if you own them).
    Without any extra settings in windows or the cards are you are suggesting, that subwoofer input is getting nothing from your card or system so your system is not operating properly.

BTW, you might want to fill out your specifications on what audio gear you are using.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

16. gripper

gripper Guest

GPU:
    hd7850
    I understand them perfectly, you, however, are over complicating them.
    They do not have a dedicated subwoofer input, it is a CENTRE/SUB input, it must be seperate because it shares the centre channel! You have a left and right on the front, left and right on the rear and left and right in centre/sub. 6 channels. Sub is always being fed. Please re read my post where it states sub is producing upto 150hz to complement satellites.
    Internal crossover is used always, not in certain circumstances! Sorry to tell you that you are not using this system right. Your way is right for a custom home theatre setup, this is al all in one user friendly system.
    You seem to think you know more than the logitech engineers who developed the system, so feel free to contact them and have them tell you that
    You do not use a software sound card crossover to feed a hardware crossover, you are starving the internal amp of a large chunk of sound spectrum.

17. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    It's not the same ROBSCIX, as an A/V receiver HT setup, I know and you are correct that if the bass management isn't selected, there is no LFE channel, no crossover and therefore no sound being redirected to a powered subwoofer connected to an A/V receiver. With the z5500, it's designed to not even be used with a dedicated lfe channel, or any soundcard's lfe and crossover. It acts as a complete system regardless and still sends it's own internal bass to the sub. Kind of like a mock lfe. It's true, but this does not mean it's really ideal, because as we both know, a real HT setup is much better :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    As I mentioned it can be used with or without the dedicated LFE input....the fact remains the LFE input is STILL there and can be used.
    The system has 6 channel direct input, which is 5+1 for the subwoofer. Not 5 and no subwoofer input! Where are you getting that from?!

Specs from the site: "6 channel direct (3 stereo-mini connectors) for 2, 4, or 6 channel PC sound cards"
    Froim the manual:
    "6 channel Direct: Send all 6 channel from the direct input straight to the amplifier without applying and decoding algorithm."

That's the way I have always seen them connected although you can still use them without the sub input. The system can be used either way...

As I said, set it up however you want.

Yes, I know that and I have seen people connect them up both ways.
    The fact still remains that 6 channel direct gives you exactly that, 6 channel input from a soundcard. You can connect them up in stereo and use the internal X-over...or quad..etc but that is NOT what I am refering to here.
    From tha manual:
    "6 channel Direct: Send all 6 channel from the direct input straight to the amplifier without applying and decoding algorithm."

Long story short, I hear what you guys are saying and yes, depending on how the system is configured for inputs and settings on the control unit it can use the internal X-over or it can use the dedicated subwoofer input.
    Both ways are right...depending on what you are trying to acheive.
    If you connected up a stereo source, and set the system to use that, the internal X-over would be used and you would have full range sound.
    For 6 channel it is different in the setup and usage.

Hope that makes sense.

19. gripper

gripper Guest

GPU:
    hd7850
    No, sorry, but you are missing the key fact here, the sats cannot produce from 150 down to 80hz competently, this is why the sub is set to produce upto 150 and no higher. Regardless of what input method.
    This is why it is all set to go, just plug in and let it do its thing.the system is designed for optical and coax input also, you are configuring, and have seen them configured, as if the speaker system is a custom 5.1 system. It is not, its a pretty average setup for the average joe who knows nothing about having to configure soundcards etc, just plug and play.
    Leave it as it is. I am only posting here to correct misinformation. Setting the crossover to only send 80 and below to the sub, the system has to rely on very poor sats to produce from 150 down to 80. This should not be happening.

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    LOL, I see so now there is a subwoofer input, Are you sure this time?
    It seems that is a big key fact you are missing!

We know it is a junk system which is why it is foolish to argue about it. I never said the setup was optimal or even made sense but the fact still remains the system accepts and processes 6 channel direct input. Which lets the user set their own X-over. You can ignore that input and just let the internal X-over do the work but then you are missing a great deal of input from the LFE channel.

You are not correcting any mis-information as there are many different ways to setup the system. You can leave it as it is or you can use the 6 channel direct input, which is WHAT it is there for.
    If your setup is the only way, why did they bother installing and allowing for 6 channel direct?
    Last post you were suggesting there wasn't even a subwoofer input!?

You seem to be a bit mixed up on the function of a soundcard crossover also. It does not just cut off like a brickwall limiter and the cut off frequency sets the balance between the sats and sub. Some system it works great and other it doesn't. He can try 80 because that is usually what THX is spec'd for so it is a reasonable starting point but chances are 120-200 will probably be the more optimal setting which is why it was mentioned for him to set it to taste. Where the user sets the crossover is not the point.
    There is a dedicated LFE input channel, simple as that.

Your just plug it in and leave it theory is not so good considering that is one of the main reasons this system is known for huge boomy drowned out bass. It needs to be setup properly or the system will sound...well, what it is known for.

Set up the speakers as you wish but I would tend to use the inputs the company gave you to use. Personal taste settings are secondary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.