Asus Xonar DS? DX? - OR CREATIVE!

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ArCElM, Aug 18, 2009.

1. darksoho

darksoho New Member

GPU:
    Asus Geforce 6800GT
    well, good friend of mine just bought X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro several days ago and he speaks only good about it, i guess creative if more for gaming.

2. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Agreed. I should note, its the side/rear channels that get a lower SNR, as the DX focuses more on the front channels. It is minimal (120SNR front, 118SNR side/rear I believe).

I don't think any dolby/dts options have been taken out (The D2 series had ALL of them; Virtual speaker/headphone, DDL, DTS-C, etc), although its worth checking before hand.

3. cinx

cinx New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 3650
    Hello.

Currently I use the onboard sound from my Gigabyte EP35-DS3R mobo (Realtek ALC889A codec). Recently I got a Logitech G51 5.1 Speaker System. I thought I should also get a dedicated soundcard, many people said, the sound is much better than onboard. I can't really say that the sound from my onboard is bad, maybe also because I always used an on board. 70% of the sound I use for movies (AC3, DTS, 5.1 sound). The rest is for music, gaming almost zero. Don't plan on using headphones for listening to music, playing games, or watching movies, maybe only if really necesary.

I was oscilating between the Asus Xonar DS and Asus Xonar D1. I don't want a PCI-eX card, because the slots on the mobo are close to the videocard and heatsinks, and all 3 PCI classic slots are very accesible to use.

The problem with the D1 is, that it's very hard to find here, only the DX which is PCI-eX. My question to you, because I didn't find anywhere a comparing review between DS and D1/DX, is the DS enough for my needs and hardware (5.1 Movies + Logitech G51)?

Thanks.

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Yes Cinx it will be enough for your needs.

Although this thread is old, to the orgnal posters and others this DS card does have DTS connect for encoding analog 5.1 signal to DTS connect thru out digital for gaming useage as I notice the info of it for the card review.

So it dont have DD live for doing it but it has DTS connect for the encoding instead..