Asus Xonar DG Freezes Up and Then Acts Like It Isn't Installed

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Ho3n3r, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Member

GPU:
    MSI 290X Lightning
    I've had this sound card for a good 5 years now, and used it in multiple systems. I've had my current system for about 2.5 years now, where I had no issues whatsoever.

But, starting about a month back, I started having issues related to it - note that I am not ruling out any cause here - where, sometimes my PC totally gets frozen, as in I have to hard reset it, and when Windows starts up again, it's under "Other devices" in device manager with an exclamation mark like it's not recognised any longer. Windows froze a few times after that as well when restarting.

After a bit of fiddling with Windows, uninstalling the UNI drivers and installing the official drivers instead, it started working again, and I thought that the issue was resolved. However, today it did the same thing once again. I don't really know how to identify the issue as I do not have any extra systems to test it with. The other problem is that it happens intermittently - about a month of relatively copious use occurred between then and now, including a lot of gaming, without any problems, until now.

So, how would one find the definitive cause of this, since it could be the motherboard or even the PSU? I'm really not sure how to begin diagnosing it, so I'm hoping someone here has had a similar experience.

Thanks in advance.

2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If you have feeling its related to soundcard, try setting it in another PCI slot. See if it resolves freezes.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    sounds like an EE needs to check solder points for continuity and resistance faults.

4. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rx580 SapphirePulse