ASUS XG43UQ monitor with 43in 4K 144Hz panel and HDMI 2.1

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. richto

richto Guest

GPU:
    2 x 7900GX2 GTX DUOs in Quad SLi
    So exactly the same as the previous PG43UQ except an extra few hundred quid for an HDMI 2.1 input module. Just grab the older model and use DP 1.4 If you want a similar monitor. (This monitor does proper 1000 Nits output HDR unlike say an LG OLED that needs tone mapping bodges like Dolby Vision to compensate)

3. Junglist724

Junglist724 Member

GPU:
    2 x 3090
    It's edge lit so there's barely any dimming zones and each zone is an entire vertical column. Even with 1000 nits of brightness the blacks will be elevated due to terrible contrast. Just sacrifice the refresh rate and buy one of the new 120Hz mini led tvs coming this year.

Even 1000 nit screens need tonemapping. Modern movies are starting to be mastered at 4000 nits and some games can scale to 10000 nits.

DeskStar likes this.
  4. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Edge lit today?!?! I mean why?!?!

I won't buy anything off/led any more unless there are at least local dimming zones on something this small.

Heck I wouldn't buy a TV today at fifty-five inches that didn't have at least a hundred LEDs and thirty plus zones for dimming. OLED FTW.

5. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    stick with my
    LG OLED 120 Hz 65B9PLA HDR 4K ULTRA SLIM 65" gsync.
    Cant use the hdmi 2.1 4k 120hz yet not without a new GPU.
    Im stuck at 2.5k for now 120 htz but honestly with image sharpening im in no rush.

6. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    Dimming zones just dont work for me.
    got to be oled. dimming zones really suck.

7. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Dimming zones do work if there are enough of them, 512 zones with the PG35VQ. Yes, I think a 40-42" LG OLED 120Hz GSynch TV is a great option for gaming, future proof for years because if you like (as I do) all the picture quality goodies on ie RT without DLSS etc, then it will be years & years before graphics cards can get to FPS 120 at 4K. The 48" LG screen has already been discussed on here and several said it was too large a screen for them (too big for me).
    Amazon offered the PG35VQ in their November Black Friday sales with £700 off the RRP so that's why I bought it to go with my new gaming computer. Loving gaming on an ultrawide, even old games like Far Cry 1, FEAR & Return to Castle Wolfenstein can be played in ultrawide and are great fun in this format.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg35vq.htm

8. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    People buying every year mid-range TVs instead of greater ones when they can. G1 EVO destroys CX and C1, Who cares for 48" of dim display vs 55" of pure brightness?

9. DG21

DG21 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    The problem is the price... in Germany you can get the PG43UQ right now for 2419.99 € (https://geizhals.de/asus-rog-swift-pg43uq-90lm05j0-b01170-a2210612.html) :-/

10. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Yep, and it does proper black to gray conversion, along with white dot to white bloom tone mapping as well. All good features.

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Not a fan of non-adjustable height, especially since the standard height seems really low. But then again the stand on my Alienware 34" is HUGE, this one would have required an even bigger one, so I can understand why they went for this option.

DeskStar likes this.
  12. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    One massive oversight i'm seeing with all these new big screen monitors is that they don't offer HDMI eARC for audio passthrough. Many people use headphones or HDMI audio nowadays. The ones using HDMI audio do it because they want to passthrough the sound to either a Dolby Atmos soundbar or Dolby Atmos AV Receiver. Optical can only do up to 5.1 audio and cannot carry a Dolby Atmos signal. So we're left with 3 options:

(1) PC graphics card HDMI connection -----> HDTV eARC -----> AV Receiver/Soundbar

(2) PC graphics card HDMI connection -----> HDTV/Monitor
    +
    PC graphics card 2nd HDMI connection -----> AV Receiver/Soundbar

(The AV receiver/Soundbar is seen by Windows as a 2nd 'Phantom' monitor in this configuration)

(3) PC graphics card HDMI connection -----> AV Receiver/Soundbar eARC -----> HDTV/Monitor

(This configuration means you will not get any of the HDTV/Monitor's VRR/G-sync/Free-sync benefits because the AV Receiver/Soundbar is doing all the picture processing and sending it to the HDTV/Monitor. So if your AV Receiver/Soundbar does not support G-sync/Free-sync, you'll be stuck with bog standard V-sync)

So as you can see, Option (1) is the most efficient way to connect a sound system using HDMI audio from your GPU. But it's only possible with TV's that have ARC/eARC. If a Monitor had an ARC/eARC connection it would solve a lot of cable routing problems.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    What OLED TV 43" for HTPC?

14. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    LG announced that they would be bringing out a 42" OLED later this year.

15. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

This. They also are dropping the 48" price so the pricing for the 42 will likely end up being quite attractive.

RavenMaster likes this.

16. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @DeskStar
    the 49 nano 85 has edge dimming, and its worse than i had hoped.
    but as long as LG uses webOS, and requires me to (virtually) accept all disclaimers/conditions (why do i need to give consent for smart controls/voice recording/advertising collection, just because i want to stream?)
    i wont really care for their tvs anyway.

my 43 vizio had 10 zones, and while blacks/dimming were much better than the LG,
    i cant wait to return it, and get the xbr55X90H.

when we had the training, we were told the 65" with Master Backlight (fully covered back) has ~1000 leds/zones,
    and the X95 series about 400 zones.
    I expect it to be lower, but even at 1/4 would still mean enough for me to make a difference.

17. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    As I see it, the problem with smaller then TV sized OLED monitors, it will probably be top brightness, which obviously LG will keep it as low as possible, in order to avoid/postpone burn in. Even so, a 42" OLED with HDR400 and true black ain't bad at all. But it will probably be far away from the top brightness of the CX or C1, not to mention the EVO.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    DeskStar likes this.
  18. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I'm just waiting for the 1000 nit OLEDs to hit at the end of this year.

Brightness will be an after thought then.

And image burn on an OLED today is damn near impossible unless you're trying to do it. Vincent Teoh from HDTV test proved this through and through by using OLEDs in a manner that one does on a daily basis. And being an owner of a 2016 or 2017 C1 (can't remember) I can say there's no issues on my end. I game for hours on end and anything else one does on a television as well.

Image burn has been around since CRT televisions.

19. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Or you could just go with micro LED if you don't want an LG brand.

I could care less about the TOS agreement in anything these days. Just a formality to save the manufacturer from dumb shtuff on the consumers end from interfering with the business as a whole.

But to stay away from a superior screen because of a TOS agreement is silly to me.

20. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    It's almost impossible to have burn in on a TV, that is true, because of the usage patterns. On a TV you will be gaming some, watching some tv news, use Netflix and so on. So that is a very mixed type of usage, something that is way harder to achieve on a monitor, where you will be having static content much more then on a TV and people will probably not babysit it too hard, which is normal.
    I'm very eager to see what will LG implement in their monitors for burn in protection. Because pixel shift and LOGO luminance dimming, won't be enough to avoid burn in, for someone who plays DOTA for example, for hours and hours in a single day.

fry178 likes this.