Asus x570-e can’t disable fTPM (stutter)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by wrathloki, Apr 14, 2022.

1. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    In the bios I’ve disabled “Security Device Support” under “advanced/trusted computing” and I’ve switched to “enable discrete TPM” under “advanced/AMD fTPM configuration” yet the pc health check app keeps showing fTPM enabled. Whenever I go back into BIOS the setting is always switched back to “enable firmware TPM”. It’s like that one specific setting doesn’t want to stick. I don’t want to wait until May or June for this supposed fTPM stutter fix BIOS so what am I missing here? How can I get fTPM to be well and truly disabled? Running the 4021 BIOS FYI.

edit: updated to 4204 BIOS (AGESA 1206) and same problem.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you don't have a discrete tpm.

3. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Yeah but I thought if you didn’t have a discrete TPM turning that on would disable that. At least that’s what I’ve been led to believe by Google. If that’s not the case though how do I disable fTPM?

4. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    The disabling is NOT available in newer BIOS....why.....? May be its a Microsoft policy

5. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Ugh so at least another month of this crap. I just love that we’re still beta testing AMDs products nearly 2 years after release. Got burned once by buying an AMD video card years ago and burned again by buying a CPU. I’m done with AMD.

Caesar likes this.
  6. ern88

ern88 Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080
    It isn't AMD's fault dude. It's the motherboard manufacturer. I can turn it off and on with my ASUS TUF x570 plus wifi.

7. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    How did you manage to turn it off? Are you sure it’s off? Have you checked the PC health checker program to see if windows is actually showing it as being off? I can set the BIOS to discrete but it’s not actually disabled if I do. It would be strange if your board is significantly different than mine, but maybe I’m missing a setting, which is why I posted.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If you use fTPM, which is basically AMD's internal TPM solution (I wouldn't go as far as calling it virtual, but still), wouldn't it then be AMD's fault? People have been complaining about the Win11 stutters with fTPM for a while. Personally I find it kind of worrisome AMD promised a solution so far into the future, early May, and instead told people to get a separate TPM module in the meantime. Maybe there will be a solution, maybe not. Too often when a promised fix seemingly takes a really long time to make, it will never happen because it's actually impossible due to hardware limitations.

I foolishly believed my x570 TUF Gaming had a discrete TPM included because I could enable discrete TPM in the bios, but of course I should have guessed you can enable features that don't exist. Fortunately I'm still using Win10, so it doesn't really matter. Maybe I'll buy a module before switching to Win11 one day in the not so near future.

9. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    It’s not just a Windows 11 problem. I’m using windows 10 and fTPM is still enabled and I’m getting that stutter. Firmware TPM, Discrete TPM, Security Device enabled or disabled, any combination of the above settings and windows reports fTPM is still on and I get the stutter. Unless I’m missing something about how to turn TPM off.

Flakstar likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    discrete tpm is not affected by the issue, its only affecting CPU's that have a abnormally high transactional retry rate in the IF connection from cpu to mainboard.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    With Asus motherboards you can revert to a previous bios if said previous bios functioned better than a newer bios with the bios flashback function that Asus motherboards feature.

12. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Yeah I know, and I don’t have one. I’m asking how to turn off firmware TPM.

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    fyi: latest CU KB5012643 has updated TPM components for Win 11

14. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    i Think the option to disable was removed via bios update , because I could've sworn that it was there when I first setup my computer(b550 asus board). probably happened when they released bioses for "out of the box" w11 support. might have some luck with a bios downgrade via flashback as already stated.

15. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    I have a gigabyte b450 motherboard and i have stop updating my bios since the last update
    before the bios update that turn on ftpm by default, Major vulnerabilities updates
    and capsule BIOS support as it's not possible to go back to older bios. With current bios, i am
    able to disable ftpm and discrete tpm in my bios. I can use win11 without a bios update but i don't intend to.

16. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    GOOD DECISION:rolleyes:

17. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    You roll your eyes but why would I keep buying products from a company when it’s a bad experience every time? Dishing out money to be a beta tester. It’s ridiculous.

Caesar likes this.
  18. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    I agree... waste of money..:(

I never went for AMD...(Please i'm not hurting others)...

That's why we have reviews.....and stored .........otherwise reviews would have been deleted the next day here...and other websites

Reading reviews on daily/weekly basis......would have surely been a help for your unforeseen situation...

19. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    I did read reviews, and none of them mentioned issues like this. All the reviews mention is how great these CPUs are compared to the Intel counterparts (at the time). I also read some posts about the USB issues but people (and AMD themselves) were saying it was fixed (which was apparently untrue for every configuration). I never read a thing anywhere about fTPM stutter because most people had it disabled until BIOS updates apparently forced it on. I didn’t even have the fTPM stutter until installing the BIOS that finally fixed the USB problems.

So don’t go pushing the blame on to me. This is on AMD for releasing products that shouldn’t have gone past their testing phase. Tired of people like you.

Caesar likes this.
  20. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    fundamentally I think the majority of the issue comes from microsoft's insistence on using TPM excessively, as I don't have any such problems stuttering problems with linux for instance. its probably an edge case that would rarely, if ever happen when using tpm for something like bitlocker and nothing else. Seems like microsoft pushed a crappy update first, didn't test it, and thus didn't notify amd of the problem, therefore leading to user headache before amd even knows its happening. such is typical for windows since every update is tested on avg users before it hits the stable branch

Caesar and wrathloki like this.