ASUS VivoTab Smart Tablet with Intel Atom Processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ASUS today launched the VivoTab Smart tablet with 10.1-inch HD display and full Windows 8 experience. It comes with an Intel Atom Clover Trail processor, 2GB of RAM, and 64GB of storage. VivoTab Sma...

ASUS VivoTab Smart Tablet with Intel Atom Processor

2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Guess the actual Windows 8 tablets are coming out.

I really wished ASUS didn't release a NVIDIA Tegra 3 variant because it's really not power efficient and isn't all that good of a performer, there are much better SoCs out there but for some reason manufacturers really love Tegra 3 for ARM tablets...

Let's see how the Intel Atom one performs in real life (not a fan of benchmarks) next time I walk into the local computer store and play with it. The Tegra 3 model lagged quite a bit (not much an issue on Android, so I blame Windows RT).

deltatux

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wish the price was lower.... I can't justify $300+ for something with limited use...

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Tablets aren't really that limited honestly. If you buy one with a physical keyboard like my ASUS Transformer Pad Prime or the ASUS Vivotab, it can actually replace a laptop completely unless you have to run software that requires the mobility and power of the laptop. If there are alternatives, tablets do the job.

Personally, I haven't really used my laptop in months. Only powered it on once or twice for my networking tools for a project, other than that, I only carry my tablet around these days.

deltatux

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I paid less for my wife's laptop than this tablet costs....lol

If I could get something like this plus a physical (solid) keyboard like the Transform Pad can use for less than the cost of a laptop, it would be attractive....but given the price range vs an equivalent laptop....they're not very attractive if a laptop suits your needs.

6. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Why is it then that just about every review i've read has the winner being a tablet with a Tegra 3? Are all the others really that bad?

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Because there hasn't been really a tablet that doesn't run Tegra 3. The only 2 tablets I can think of that outperforms the Tegra 3 is the Exynos 4412 found in the Galaxy Note 10.1 and the Qualcomm S4 found in the Lenovo Ideapad S2110. Tegra 3's issue is that the GPU is not the best in class and its biggest problem is the fact that NVIDIA stubbornly stuck to a single channel memory configuration for its SoC which makes it terrible for gaming and for multitasking. Unfortunately, Lenovo sucks at making firmware, so because of Lenovo's inability to make proper firmware, the tablet lags even though its hardware can support a faster and smoother operation as Qualcomm S4 powered phones have shown to outpace the Tegra 3.

You can actually easily choke a Tegra 3 device, I do it often on my tablet when I'm switching between apps constantly when checking different things quickly. It's even easier on my Nexus S, but I can't blame the Exynos 3110 since it's based on a really old architecture, single core and starved of RAM.

The Exynos 5250 being a Cortex A15 wipes the floor clean, and is only currently found in the Nexus 10 or Samsung Chromebook, so I hope next round we'll see more SoCs in tablets.

deltatux