1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ASUS VG278QR (G-Sync Compatible)

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Indomitux, May 15, 2019 at 5:38 PM.

1. Indomitux

Indomitux New Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 1080
    Hi there,

I've just bought this monitor two days ago and i think G-Sync doesn't work. I'm making crazy..

I think that I've configured the monitor in the right way...i hope...following the official Nvidia steps..

I turned on monitor (Freesync activated by default) and Nvidia control panel immediately detected G-Sync compatible monitor. Perfect (The monitor is included in the Nvidia compatibility list)

Nvidia Control Panel : Vsync ON (OFF inside games)
    Nvidia Control Panel : Max refresh
    Nvidia Control Panel: Type model monitor ->G-Sync Compatible.

So far, everything should be ok.
    Configuration resolution: 1920x1080 165hz Windows 10. Perfect detected.

The point is...

I run all my games and Fraps, Rivaturner,etc shows fixed 60fps and monitor 120Hz. No changes, no VRR... I don't understand why... I think it's not working and games are running like a 60Hz standar monitor.

No tearing,stuttering,etc...but only 60fps stacked when fps should change 80...87...92...95...102...etc and the monitor everytime at 120Hz.

Can someone help me, please?

2. Indomitux

Indomitux New Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 1080
    Btw, displayport connected.

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    On the GSync tab in NVCP, make sure Step 3 is also enabled. "Enable settings for the selected display model"

4. Indomitux

Indomitux New Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 1080
    Yes, it's enabled too. More options? I've tried all what i know...

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    I know with my Samsung that I have to turn the monitor off/on to get GSync to work properly. The driver seems to have this issue. Also check CRU to make sure FreeSync range is reported and correct.

6. mkh

mkh Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual O8G
    In some games i had to force vsync on with gsync from nvcpl and/or disable full screen optimization

7. Indomitux

Indomitux New Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 1080
    mkh, yes, you're right. Nvidia indicates to configure inside NV control panel -> gsync and vsync = YES both must work together
    I've disabled freesync monitor (Nvidia gsync compatible menu and options disappear) and i've noticed games work in the same way!! (no tearing,smooth,etc). Monitor 165hz and fraps 60fps.
    So i guess Nvidia Compatible is not working because FPS(games) everytime is locked to 60fps. I don't undersand!!
    More suggestions? Please.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    What games are you trying this on? What driver version are you using?

I have similar VG278Q (also certified Gsync Compatible) and have no issues. Except with Fallout 4 where I must set things up in a very specific way to make Gsync work.
    Otherwise I get the exact same behavior as you said, reported framerate half of refresh rate and refresh rate is fixed (72 fps and 144 Hz).

Most likely due to the fact that FO4 forces an fps cap unless you remove it.

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Try using RTSS for your FPS counter instead of FRAPS, or if you have GFE installed, use that.

10. Indomitux

Indomitux New Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 1080
    Almost the same monitors, just a little difference 165/144hz. Enough to play all kind of games. Both very good monitors.

Yes! fps 60 and monitor Hz 120! as you said. So, in this case, it means that gsync compatible is not working?? or is it working perfect??

11. Indomitux

Indomitux New Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 1080
    I'm gonna try them. Thank you.
    RTSS 60fps like fraps.
    I'll try GFE...

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Why are you capping at 60fps?