1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus VG258Q or... not

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Spitfire303, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Spitfire303

Spitfire303 Master Guru

GPU:
    In o 3D GTX 1060 6g
    Hi,

I must replace my monitor (Asus 239h) as it starts to freak out. My current spec:
    Ryzen 1600 (not oc'ed)
    Gtx 1060 6gb
    16gb of ram (2933mhz)

Me and my son mainly play FPS SW BF2, BF5, Fortnite and World of warships.

I've been searching for a nice monitor for over a week now and finally made my choice:

Asus VG258Q

It is 1080p, TN, 144hz and... Gsync compatible (one of the 12 monitors Nvidia decided to make gsync compatible)
    I wonder if the monitor (because of its high refresh rate) is a good choice for my rig? I score a 60-75fps on BF5 for example.

Thanks

2. Spitfire303

Spitfire303 Master Guru

GPU:
    In o 3D GTX 1060 6g
    How about going for a 27" 1440p 144hz screen more futur proof? Gsync is a must? I would have to forget ultra settings but... If one day I upgrade to a rtx 2060...

What do you think?

3. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 8GB
    Personally I wouldn't bother with Gync now. Save the premium towards a future upgrade. Within a year all Freesync monitors will likely be fine on Nvidia.
    27" 1440p and 144hz would give you longevity in the long run, but you'll have a significant fps hit with the resolution increase until you upgrade GPU.

You can always turn details down to compensate though in the meantime.

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Freesyncs are fine now. My Samsung isn't even listed as supported, and works.

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR
    I was also considering getting that Asus monitor, but i don't think i could enjoy the size of 24.5" over 27". I went ahead and ordered an 27" 144hz monitor from MSI.

I can live with 1080p at that size, i currently own a 35" ultrawide 1080p monitor and it took a week or two to get adjusted to the pixel density as i came from 1440p.
    It's not that bad anymore and totally fine for my eyes.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    I bought the otherwise identical but 27" model recently (VG278Q) and been happy with it. G-Sync works out of the box as it should, no problems.
    Monitor has FreeSync range of 40 - 144 Hz so you'll be getting VRR with 60 - 70 framerates nicely.

However one gripe I had was the presets (GameVisuals modes), they all had something wrong to me and you must choose one.
    I ended up just selecting sRGB preset and fine tuning with NVCPL.
    As sRGB then disables almost all of the monitor's own adjustments.

I probably could have reached similar or identical results by fine tuning some other preset but sRGB had the "cleanest" image from the get go.

Colours are what they are on a TN panel but I find adding a bit of Digital Vibrance works wonders. I also dropped Gamma slightly as it's quite high by default (was the same with my previous Asus monitor).

In case you pick that one up and are interested here's what I use:
    Preset: sRGB
    TraceFree: 40
    (higher starts showing black borders / artefacts in motion)
    VividPixel: 25
    (=sharpening. Higher is fine on desktop but games start showing "oversharpened" image with anything above IMO)
    FreeSync: On (duh)
    SmartView: Off
    (from what I can tell this just controls RGB range / black level, limited (On), Full (Off))

(and that's all you can adjust with sRGB preset. Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness etc. are greyed out.
    Monitor does have a good amount of settings though and like said you can start working from another preset if you wish.
    IIRC eg. FPS preset enables all settings for tweaking)

All in all for the relatively affordable price, recommended (you get what you pay for).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  7. Spitfire303

Spitfire303 Master Guru

GPU:
    In o 3D GTX 1060 6g
    Thank you all. I ordered the asus monitor. I will test it and see if I keep it. I try to sell my gtx 1060 but... no chance for now so I guess I'll stick with 1080p for a while.

8. Spitfire303

Spitfire303 Master Guru

GPU:
    In o 3D GTX 1060 6g
    OK so I got it. Struggling a lot with picture aity though... Comparing to an ips it's... Hell. Was googling for some user settings but for now haven't found anything. Feel free to help :)

9. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 8GB
    How do you mean, the colour shift when you change viewing angles, or colours/contrast off ?