ASUS TUF Gaming Gold power supplies with full ATX 3.0 compatibility

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    mbk1969 and chispy like this.
  2. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Would an 850 watt PSU now serve comfortably for future xx80 GPU cards from Nvidia in the future as well, along with a good processor? I am going to be doing hardware shopping next year and will be getting a new PSU and would rather not have to worry about these things. I don't do extreme overclocking either, pretty much let things run on default settings.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well as I am in the process of sooner or later building my new rig too, I looked at PSUs the other day (lunch break). I think you will be good since the ATX 3.0 cards do have protection / improvements against load transition spikes, which was the biggest issue with any PSU before 3.0 standard.
    One thing that I'd have to consider too is, PCIe 5.0 12+4 pin cables, and if you get one from the GPU, or if you get one (or "just" an adapter from PCIe 4.0 auf 5.0) with the PSU.

That said, I find it interesting that they're even still promoting Gold PSUs. I thought by now, with large, power hungry GPUs, the manufacturers would have seen the chance to make 4% efficiency between a gold and a titanium PSU like a huge deal (when in reality, it's probably not).

4. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Thanks for your input on this one. I don't game in 4K and if I did I don't have the budget to go above an xx80 or equivalent cards so my power budget is based on that. Hopefully this won't be a paper launch as I'm looking to get everything in one order!

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah I hear you. I hope you get it all in one go, paying more than once for shipping is a PITA after all.

mentor07825 and Embra like this.
  6. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    One always needs to consider power usage on the newer cpus as well. I think 850w is more a minimum.
    1000w would give more breathing room.

Why_Me, Reddoguk and chispy like this.
  7. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    No reason at all to buy these new PSUs unless you need wattage upgrade. Your currently PSU is already fully compatible with ATX 3.0, just get a 16pin cable from your PSU maker or from cablemod.
    Also, these new PSUs are actually restrictive, they sacrifice many 8pin connectors in favor of 16pin. If you need 2x8 pin for motherboard and 3x8pin for graphics card, you no longer have enough connectors. So only consider these PSUs if you are 100% certain you'll use 16pin GPU and never will need to use 8pin GPUs like upcoming AMD ones. So ironically, your current PSU + 16pin cable is more flexible and forward/backward compatible than these new ATX 3.0 units.

mentor07825 and chispy like this.
  8. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I concur. While 850w might be enough you really want a PSU to use half it's power. So a 1000w would be ideal as you'd probably be using 500-600w.

They'll both work fine but the 1000w will be much more efficient.

mentor07825, Embra and Why_Me like this.
  9. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Just coming back to this to thank you all. I have my motherboard and RAM right behind me, an NVME SSD on the way to replace my current drive for the OS and the 7800x3D on pre-order, hopefully arriving at the end of the month as I got the order in almost instantly it went live. My bonus is a prepaid card and it is highly restrictive, can't even do the grocery shopping with it, so I'm going to spend it the best way I know how.

HARDWARE BABY LETS GOOOOOO

fantaskarsef likes this.