Asus Tri Fan 4870 x2 went to the heavens Possibly

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by rogue221979, Mar 28, 2010.

1. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Well here goes

After Installing ATI 10.3 cat drivers, not the B version but the ones posted on there main site amd.game whatever.

I experienced a hard crash playing BC2. It wasnt a blue screen but a no signal and sound lock up. I restarted and just figured it was a driver related issue. I got back on today and in the middle of my race 2 play sim race in GTR 2, it did the same thing again.

So I assumed as everyone else was experience system freezes with 10.3 drivers I decided to go back to the 10.3 preview driver which worked perfectly. Every game I have worked no problems with that. I even had no horizontal lines with BC2, just the flickering. I tried the offical 10.3 to see if the flickering would go away. It did but I finally got the horizontal lines everyone else has been experiencing. (Starting to wonder if it was that crossfire profiler causing it)

Anyway, after uninstalling the drivers (I did use driver sweep and that maybe diddling with my registry, need to investigate that) and reinstall a fresh Cat 10.3 preview I rebooted and got a error stating "No ATI card or ATI card Hardware failure")

I checked my hardware device manager and see 2 ! listed for my 4870 x2.

I reinstalled twice and cold booted yet no avail.

Is it possible the drivers killed my card, or is this just bad karma?

I'm going to try the card in different slots (I have 3) just in case its not the motherboard acting up and will report back.

I guess its a good reason to purchase a 5970, but I've never had any performance issues with my card since I purchased it.

I dont overclock it and I used to have my I7 at 3.7ghz but the only game I have that would take advantage of it is Crysis which I dont not own so I run my I7 at Stock with Turbo boost at gigabytes full throttle and HT turned on.

I belive it goes to like 3.1 ghz under load. Which is works fine and can play all my games with full everything, except BC2 drops to 35fps with AA set to 8X.

Anyways enough rambling, on to diagnosing. Comments or suggestions are welcome, you guys are pros at figuring this crap out.

Not blaming ATI as these things happen I'm just alittle pissed off and would like to :biggun: someone.

2. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Just to note I just ran GPUz and Core one reads 750/900 with a temp of 55c

Core 2 reads 2666.7/1250 and a temp of 15C

Cat drivers are installed but you cant access the Cat manager at all.

2nd core dead perhaps? Or just an effect of the drivers not working properly?

3. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Problem solved. it was the registry. Successfully recoverd it and installed 10.3a preview driver.

Horizontal lines gone in BC2 and no more hard crashes.

4. Lutfi

Lutfi Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870X2 Trifan
    it's a hard time for you.. so, fixed now? i'm also still using the trifan.. not know, when to switch to 5xxx series, as this card still works fine for me.. :D

5. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    Yes it was windows vista registry that was stoping the card from being recongized after I uninstalled the 10.3b drivers.

The only benefit I'd get going to a 5xxx would be directx 11 and a maybe a few more fps, unless I get a 5970 or 2 5850s.

Unless DX11 becomes mandatory, I think I'll stick with the 4870 x2 till she really dies or the next series rolls around.