ASUS TOP EAH4850 constantly crashing!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Chillzone, May 9, 2010.

1. Chillzone

Chillzone New Member

GPU:
    ATI ASUS TOP 4850 1024MB
    I need urgent help here! I have this card (that is really good when it doesn't require a reboot) installed and sure it runs a little hot, but it is an ATI card. Recently however it has been crashing in almost EVERY game I play. It was bad enough when Tropico 3's campaign (the sandbox worked just fine for god knows why) would crash after about five minutes of gameplay, then the same thing would happen in GTA IV (but only if I idled for too long, in-game or menu) and it frustrated me, then AoE III would do the same thing (randomly) and it concerned me, considering that is a fairly old game. Then it happened to me in Halo 1, and I almost choked on my frustration. It was now that I decided to actually do something about it, because it was ridiculous that Halo was causing my card, that was top notch when I got it, to crash.

Now when it happens, I don't see any lines or checkers, all that happens is the audio goes into like a quarter of a second loop and my monitor goes into standby mode and from there it requires a reboot to get working again. Its worrying me, It is very well possible that it could be damaging to the card to have this happen, if it is a heat/voltage issue. I heard the stock fan on this card sucks up a lot of electricity, and I tried changing the fanspeed to dozens of combination to no avail.

If anybody has any wisdom on this, I'm pleading that you help me. I'll provide my stats as soon as someone can help me! thanks!

2. Alexis444

Alexis444 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700XT RAW
    Try to set the fan speed to 60 or 70%. That means is getting too hot. Also check the front case fan & rear case fan. Font fan need to be intake & rear fan need to be exaust.

3. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:
    Have you cleaned the fan and heatsink Chillzone?

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  4. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I had the same problem with 8800GT tryed everything nothing helped so i changed to GTS250 and problem was gone. So its not the PSU.

6. Chillzone

Chillzone New Member

GPU:
    ATI ASUS TOP 4850 1024MB
    I got the PSU and the card at the same time in late 2008. The card would run very hot, as the first time I played STALKER it overheated due to it shipping with an outdated version of Catalyst. I fixed that issue, and the heat is controlled now. It still idles in the 60's and with full load it reaches the 90's. All my drivers are up to date, and as far as I can tell the PSU is functioning perfectly.

It's strange, because some games (TF2, Battlefield 2, Fallout 3) work without any crashes at all, and I can run them all maxed out with an excellent framerate. That leads me to believe some weird software thing is to blame.

Fairly recently I did a complete re-install of all my video drivers, cleaning them out then installing the latest version of catalyst and all that jazz.

This morning I was playing the Halo campaign without a hitch, no crashing. However, the cutscenes started glitching and Cortana and the holopanel things had messed up graphics, so I quit the game and the desktop was stuck in the lowest resolution imaginable with 16 colors. I couldn't change the resolution in Catalyst or windows, so I had to reboot.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Try lowering the clocks to 615/980.

Worst case scenario you may have to put new heat paste on it (I had to, I used some OCZ Freeze and it worked amazingly, 20C drop).

8. Chillzone

Chillzone New Member

GPU:
    ATI ASUS TOP 4850 1024MB
    Using Catalyst, the clocks are already set to 500/750, thats as low as they go. I still get fine performance in everything I play though (as long as it doesnt crash of course), so I dont see any point in OCing them.

Mind you, this isnt necessarily a heat issue, as I've had the card running in the high 90's without any hitches at all. Most of the time the readings I get with GPU-z indicate that the temperatures were normal the whole time.

I'm going to buy an aftermarket fan to put on it sometime in the near future just to be sure.

9. LiquidFrost

LiquidFrost Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3080 Master
    Had one of those with a glacial heatsink thingamajig on it, and I was anything but unimpressed by it's temperature.

Sure core seemed stable, but once I pushed AA on it, I started getting tiny artifacts every now and then, especially noticeable in Far Cry 2. Poor cooling on the memory.

10. Rik55

Rik55 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD4850 700/1100MHz
    500/750 is the cards idle speed. These go up to 625/1004 when under load. Run GPU-z with logging in the background. This will give you the temp, fan speed, GPU & Mem speed and GPU voltage at the point of crash. You can read the text file back after the reboot.

I wonder what your cards P/N number is. A small batch of TOP EAH4850's went out at the end of 2008 with a small heat problem. This was corrected with a BIOS update and the use of smart doctor.

It is probably still unlikely that you have one of these cards.

The cards affected were EAH4850/HTDI/512M (P/N: *-C3CGG0-*) & EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M/A (P/N: *-C3CGK0-*). Check the box that your card came in or the actual card itself.

Last edited: May 10, 2010

11. Chillzone

Chillzone New Member

GPU:
    ATI ASUS TOP 4850 1024MB
    Yeah the Glaciator Fansink isnt that impressive. It is nice looking though, and for its size I'm surprised it hardly works at all.

And from what I can tell the P/N is C1CLC0. When I run z-GPU there is no readout for voltage... is there a problem?

12. Rik55

Rik55 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD4850 700/1100MHz
    Your P/N is fine. Yes, you are correct. My mistake. GPU-z doesn't read the voltage on GPU of a EAH4850. HWMonitor1.14 (the people behind CPUz) may read it (HWMonitor1.15 doesn't) or Everest.

It's most likely either a software issue, a heat issue or a PSU issue.

You mentioned an issue in CCC overdrive where the clocks were already set at the lowest. With Overdrive enabled, your current clocks at the bottom should read 500/750 but the High Performance clocks higher up should be adjustable. My EAH4850, the GPU High Performance clocks are adjustable from 500Mhz-800Mhz. The default is GPU - 625Mhz and Memory - 1004Mhz.

13. Chillzone

Chillzone New Member

GPU:
    ATI ASUS TOP 4850 1024MB
    I meant I had the high performance clocks set to the lowest myself.
    Should I just disable overdrive at this point? Could that be the source of all these problems?

14. Rik55

Rik55 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD4850 700/1100MHz
    Test with Overdrive disabled. In Overdrive, even though you had set the High Performance clocks the same as the idle clocks. The voltage supplied will still be the High Performance voltage which would be too high for 500/750.

Actually, the best thing to do is go into CCC's drop down Options menu - Preferences - Restore Factory Defaults. This will set every setting back to it's default.

If the card is running too hot, you may need to replace the thermal compound between the GPU & Fan. Card's tMax is 105c. I would consider anything over 95c during gaming, to hot. My card can reach 85c under extreme Furmark Stress Test.

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  15. Chillzone

Chillzone New Member

GPU:
    ATI ASUS TOP 4850 1024MB
    I tested it out with overdrive off, and managed to get through the first island in the Tropico 3 campaign (a good half hour or more of gameplay). I figured that the problem had been fixed, so I kept playing, and just as I was making my avatar for the next island it crashes on me, same as last time.

I think we may be getting somewhere...

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Play a game like Tropico 3 until it crashes with HW Monitor running in the background, and tell us what the max temp is.

17. Chillzone

Chillzone New Member

GPU:
    ATI ASUS TOP 4850 1024MB
    I was playing Halo till it crashed, max temp and voltage are all within norms.

This is starting to get to me, luckily I'm able to play BF2

18. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I have a feeling your card's cooler is ineffective at cooling your card.

My card doesn't peak 75C on full load...

[​IMG]

I have a XFX Radeon HD 4850 w/ 512 MB GDDR3 and I run Folding@Home-gpu on it daily.

Another way of figuring out the temperature is to run GPU-Z in the background with its logging options turned on.

deltatux

19. Chillzone

Chillzone New Member

GPU:
    ATI ASUS TOP 4850 1024MB
    OK, so I decided to get the disk that came with the card and re-install all the Gamer OSD and SmartDoctor things, and then update smart doctor after.

I managed to get through a whole campaign island in Tropico 3 without any hitches and flawless performance on max settings. This was with Smart Doctor running, with the fan set to 40% in both it and Catalyst. I did however manage to do the same thing before, only to have it crash upon starting the next island, but this time I quit the game right after finishing so I didn't get to see if it would happen again.

Since I'd rather play the games and circumvent the problem than have the computer crash entirely again and again just to try to get an idea of how to solve it, I'll just get my fix of Tropico for now and see if Halo works later.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  20. Chillzone

Chillzone New Member

GPU:
    ATI ASUS TOP 4850 1024MB
    Not to self bump or anything, but the T3 is back to crashing again and SmartDoctor didn't save the day like I thought.

I'm getting desperate here. I was playing TF2 for a good two hours straight last night, the same with BF2, but playing for three minutes in Tropico 3 crashes the whole system. Same with Halo.