Asus Swift PG278Q upgrade?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by wasteomind, Mar 14, 2021.

1. wasteomind

wasteomind Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    I am still rocking one of the original 144hz, 1440p Gsync panels. I'm finding myself curious lately if there are any upgrades that are worth the money. Panel still looks and works great, I'm just at a point what, 7 years later, wondering if there is anything that is absolutely an upgrade in every way, or if I'd just be trading one benefit here, for a downgrade there. I'm not interested in losing color quality for added refresh rate or the like. Only ups wanted here. Larger size is fine too, but again, only if the tech is all upgrades. HDR feasible? Never had/tried that, but from what I understand there are different tiers of it, and the lower ones aren't worth bothering with?

I've not kept up with monitor tech. Wondering if anyone can't point me in the right direction. I am happy with 1440p, but having a rtx3090 I feel like maybe its finally enough power to maybe test the waters with 4k if there is just no 1440p monitor that provides any real benefit over what I have. One thing I absolutely will not give up though is Gsync. After having it for so long, its painful not to have it. Do monitors still come with specific gsync modules installed in them for the best use of this feature? Or is that something they have moved away from?

2. GreenAlien

GreenAlien Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC
    There is actually an upgraded version of your current(well, almost) monitor coming out this year, but not sure how much of an upgrade it actually is.
    https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-monitors/rog-swift-pg279qm-gaming-monitor-intro/

If I was going to buy a monitor right now, it would either be ASUS ROG Swift PG329Q, which is all around great and features HDR600 with 16 local dimming zones.
    The only downside is that 1440p @ 32'' means it would be a downgrade in pixel density for you.

The other one would be LG 27GN950-B. It's almost equal spec wise as the above, but has worse HDR. 4k @ 27'', so big pixel density advantage.
    (Probably the better choice for you, since you are not coming from 1080p and have a strong graka. It should feel like an upgrade..)

Both aren't cheap.. if it's worth the money to you, only you can know..

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  3. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    I can't tell you if it worth it for you but I've had my PG279Q for over a year. I love it, beautiful and smooth as silk.