Asus Strix 970GTX fan replacement

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Pelzimus, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Pelzimus

Pelzimus Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB
    I bought replacement fan for my Strix 970GTX from Ebay because old fan started to make annoying scratching noise when rpms were high enough. New fan was meant for another model but screw holes, dimensions, amp/volt and wire number&colors+connector were same. So everything should be OK right? Apparently not, because for some reason new fan doesn't spin down at idle like original fans do and it stays at around 950rpm even if MSI afterburner shows fan speed as 0%. 2nd original fan I left in place works like it should. I'm not sure if new fan increases speed either because MSI afterburner shows rpm for both fans combined. Fan rpm curve goes up with temperature but it may be because 2nd old fan still works like it should. To my eye it looks like replacement fan maintains constant 950rpm. What's wrong? Can wires be in wrong order even if colors match?

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I am guessing you're screwed.

Try clicking "Synchronize fan speeds" in AB. Right of "Fan speed (%)" in the main interface.
    See if you can spin down new fan to ZERO rpm by controlling it directly.

3. Pelzimus

Pelzimus Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB
    So if nothing works then I was hoaxed and new fan isn't even PWM type or something?

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I dunno dog. There are too many variables involved to take a guess as to why it's not stopping.

My case fans are doing ZERO rpm, and they're not even working in PWM mode, but DC.

5. Pelzimus

Pelzimus Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB
    I'm more worried about new fan not changing speed at all and 2nd old fan has to work harder to compensate as I can hear it also making slight scratchy noise when things get heated up. Damn Asus has used crappy fans on this card, I still have old MSI 560Ti and it's fans are just fine. Too bad they are 3-pin and won't work on this card. Maybe I'll ditch the card and get a new one unless I try connecting normal 4-pin PWM fan and hang it with zip ties to the heatsink.

6. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX1080 GS
    I had to replace the fans on a "MSI Gtx970 gaming" due to me breaking one of the fins.
    When i fitted the new fan (genuine MSI fan) I noticed 2 of the colored wires that went into the connector were the wrong way around as i had my old fan next to me to make sure everything was the same.
    I took no chances and snipped the wires and put them exactly as my old fan.
    Card ran fine for the rest of its time with me !
    If you have your old fan just check in case you might have a similar problem.