ASUS ROG Zenith X399 Extreme review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A new thread ripping processor will need to be paired with a proper motherboard, join us in this review of the X399 chipset based ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme. A motherboard loaded with features and high-e...

ASUS ROG Zenith X399 Extreme review

Maddness likes this.
  2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 590
    Awesome review as always Hilbert , thank you for the in depth review !

Gorgeous looking motherboard right there with all the connectivity and hardware support for real future proof , it will last many many years to come for the end user. I think this is as high end as anyone would dream of :)

3. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I am looking forward to future motherboards supporting Thunderbolt 3 now Intel has made it royalty free.
    Though ofc the cost of such add in cards will also plummet :)

I am thinking here of having an external GPU box for my laptop that I can also plug into my main PC for extra horsepower when I feel the need ^^

4. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Sorry, I know these are "gaming" boards, but... for a high end user in 2017 having only 6 SATA ports to connect multiple storage drives to is not enough and is the reason I will cross this product off my list for upgrade. And as Hilbert mentioned I don't even know what that other storage port is - but useless anyway. Should have put at least another 2 SATA ports on any high-end board.

I have 6 SATA ports on my Rampage II board and for ages I am having to use a PCI-E board with an extra 2 SATA ports for another two SATA HDs. The one thing I want to do is get rid of this extra board.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Hilbert, some users showed concern about the proximity of the socket to the first PCI-E slot when mounting coolers. Do you think this will be an issue on this board? Other manufacturers add a little distance like Gigabyte for example:

[​IMG]