Asus ROG Swift PG279Q WQHD 144Hz IPS Panel and G-sync

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I went from the original Swift to the Acer XB270HU. The IPS is 10x better than the TN. Especially because of the weird contrast/first frame artifact that's present on the Swift. The AG coating is way better on the Acer as well. Only problem with the Acer is some of them have bleed in the corners and the build quality is kinda flimsy compared to the ASUS.

Asus basically screwed it's Swift owners though. The RMA process was like the worst experience ever and the Swifts during launch had so many problems, problems for days. And they wouldn't confirm whether the contrast artifact (some people call it inversion) was fixable or not.

2. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Asus has always been like that, and its always a pain being an early adopter.

For the same reason, i decided to wait till better options are available (4k ips g-sync)

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Yeah I don't really like the design of the Acer.

I would have never bought the Swift if I didn't have a store near me that sells them. I even paid extra for the extended warranty so if anything ever happens to it I can just walk in there and get a new one or trade it for a different model. I hate dealing with RMA's.

4. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    I want this now!

So many problems with Acer and its... Acer!
    I hate my Benq xl2411 too, its TN so... and when I have 60hz ips next to it, it doesnt really help to see how bad TN is.

Just release this Asus asap with same specs than Acer but with better QC and better frame etc and im done.

5. Huigie

Huigie Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    Lets hope Asus ships panels without dead pixels. Planned on buying the Acer Predator XB270HUbprz but the amount of returned displays because of dead pixels is way too high!

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    This might be my next monitor, too bad it's only 27". I'm currently on an old 27" 1440p 60Hz IPS (Dell U2711 REVA07) and even though 144Hz and g-sync on an IPS sound great, I would have loved to have a small size increase as well. :)

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    When it comes down to QC, I doubt that Asus has learned from the TN Swift's launch...

Are there any real numbers you have? Because I'd be interested to really know how many Swift and Acer were returned...

8. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    But.. bigger pixels is not progress ;)
    Would be nice to see a 32" 4k monitor supporting 144Hz and G-Sync though. Not even sure if that would require a newer DP or HDMI standard..

I'd trade my Asus PB278Q happily, if offered. This PG279Q just has all the right specs, even when running a single NVidia card.

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Don't you mean 3440x1440/2560x1080 aka Ultrawide?

If so, yes that's wham i'm waiting for, unless it's overpriced like ROG Swift.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Just have your RMA place close at hand :)

11. crashburn162

crashburn162 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Wc
    I do own ASUS PG278Q I like it cause it's fast the TN discoloration sux, but I do hope they deliver this thing a lot better because the ASUS PG278Q was promised like February 2014 I think, I didn't get it till September and from Germany and of course it had a lot of bleeding so I got it RMA and got a nice one. I do hope since it's IPS there won't be any RMA problems and I hope there is a lot more demand cause then there will be a lot more supply and that's how the prices go down. And also Nvidia finally confess that G-sync is a software based and the hardware chip is just a restrictive measure so only a selected monitors can use it ! Then we can eliminate 100 euro worth of nothing

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I WISH...

Even with 100 or 120Hz I'd still be happy...

13. Sevuz

Sevuz Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1070
    Do you have proof of that the chip does nothing beside restricting?

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No. There was some idiot posting crap about it but he couldn't prove anything other then getting the G-Sync monitor enabled thing to show up on other monitors (but it obviously didn't enable G-Sync, just showed the little notification).

Plus he said that like they were just using the adaptive sync standard, which clearly they aren't -- because in the sub-sync window G-Sync and FreeSync work differently, with G-Sync being the better of the two.

15. Huigie

Huigie Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE

16. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I'm surprised at all the negativity towards the old Swift. Mine is fine and was so out of the box. It's meanwhile off it's stand and resides on the VESA mount of an Obutto r3volution.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Meh, I had a few Swifts. All of them had the first image contrast problem (inversion). The AG Coating on all of them was too aggressive. A few times I had problems with them blurring/getting lines through them. I switched to a Acer XB27HU, night and day difference. The image is significantly better, no issues. The bezel/build quality of the frame is garbage though, compared to the Swift at least. Aesthetically I think the swift is a good looking monitor. But yeah, the actual display is more important to me.

18. k37chup

k37chup Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 4070
    It up for pre-order on oc now.