ASUS ROG-STRIX-LC-RX6800XT-O16G-GAMING Instant crash under load

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by YBNorml, Jan 17, 2021.

1. YBNorml

YBNorml New Member

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX 6800XT
    Hello,

I just installed a new ASUS ROG-STRIX-LC-RX6800XT-O16G-GAMING GPU… I was so excited to finally get this after two months of daily non-stop F5s.

I uninstalled the video drivers using DDU in safe mode (twice just to be certain) and installed the latest revision of the AMD provided adrenalin drivers (20.12.2 December 17th) using the factory installation setting.

No issues in Windows, but instant crash (black screen reboot, no blue screen) whenever I try and play a game (AC Valhalla) or enter benchmarks (i.e. OCCT and Heaven’s). AC Valhalla usually crashes in the menu settings, but I’ve been able to get to run the in-game benchmark for 10-15 seconds a few times. Haven’s will run between 30-90 seconds depending on the occasion. OCCT is instant crash when trying the 3D test.

Monitoring temps when I do get to run a benchmark, I’m in the low 40s on the core and low 50s for the junction. Case is very well ventilated, no pets, clean set up and room, no carpet. Nothing is overclocked everything at stock, running at stock 2450mhz on core and 2000mhz on VRAM.

CPU/RAM all at stock and no issues previously (I even removed the XMS profile just in case).

Updated the motherboard BIOS to the latest revision after crashes, didn’t help. Re-did the DDU process multiple times, no help. I’m running a triple monitor 4k set up (2 DP, 1 HDMI), disabled two of the monitors, no help.

I can run OCCT overall stress test for an hour no issue. I can run OCCT memory for an hour no issue. I can run OCCT power test for an hour no issue (GPU pulling 300W and CPU pulling 200W). I have a 850W PSU. Everything works, except the video card under load, no issues in Windows. Windows fully updated; triple checked.

No idea what else could be causing this!! Any ideas?

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Taichi
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900k
    RAM: Ripjaws V DDR4-3000MHz CL16-18-18-38 1.35V 64GB (4x16GB)
    GPU: ASUS ROG-STRIX-LC-RX6800XT-O16G-GAMING
    SSD: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB
    PSU: Corsair Professional Series HX850W 80PLUS Silver
    CPU AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB 360mm

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It looks like either the gfx card or PSU are at fault.
    But there is still a niggle it could be something to do with the OS.

If you have a spare drive, use it as the only bootable drive in the system (apart from your games drive) and install Windows on that.
    See how you get on.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    YBNorml likes this.
  3. YBNorml

YBNorml New Member

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX 6800XT
    Couldn't read?

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yeah I asked a question that had already been answered.
    I've posted something a bit better above now :)

YBNorml likes this.

5. YBNorml

YBNorml New Member

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX 6800XT
    Someone on another thread pointed out that the PSU is 10-12 year old, which does bring concern come to think of it. As I am not having temperature issues the old power supply becomes the prime suspect. I'm well past the time to replace it anyways. Just ordered a EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 1000W. Hope that solves it.

6. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Pulse
    2 separate 8pin from the psu, right? non daisy-chained?
    what gpu you were running before?

HandR likes this.
  7. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB
    Try undervolting the GPU to rule the PSU out,by undervolting you can just about reduce 100W under full stress loads, just until you receive new PSU.

YBNorml likes this.
  8. YBNorml

YBNorml New Member

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX 6800XT
    2 separate, direct from the PSU. Previous to this, a Sapphire Radeon RX580 Nitro+ SE

9. YBNorml

YBNorml New Member

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX 6800XT
    Currently set to 1150mv by default, what would you set it to?

10. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Pulse
    you can just set a negative value in power limit if you can, ex -15% or so

YBNorml likes this.

11. YBNorml

YBNorml New Member

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX 6800XT
    I got it at least running AC Valhalla for ~30mins by reducing core clock to 2225 Mhz (it's the lowest I can set it), 1000 mV (down from 1150), and power target down to 95%

12. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Pulse
    so it can be the psu, but not sure 100%

13. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Sounds like PSU.
    Surprised you got 10 years out of it. It's time to take it out back and put it down.
    Buy a Seasonic or another good quality model power supply with the least amount of ripple in the power near peak load.
    750w should do most anyone some justice unless you run more than one dedicated GPU or are doing LN2-class overclocking.
    9900K with liberal clocks can consume 250w max, don't think your AIO will handle more than that anyway.
    Video card is 250~300w ? I forget what the 6800 runs but yes underclocking it and keeping CPU and other things stock will help strongly keep your system working.

Power supplies lose capacity over time and hence produce less max wattage. After a few years a mainstream power supply can lose 20% without a second though, a top quality one will be hard pressed to lose half that in 3 years.

Plan to replace a 650w~1000w top-tier brand power supply after 5 years (max), if you get more than that out of it, that's a bonus.
    If it's a cheaper one like an EVGA 420w~600w model made by Channel Well Tech or Great Wall, consider replacing it every 3 years. The cheaper ones don't last. Keep in mind companies such as EVGA and Corsair and many others DO NOT make their own power supplies. These companies slap a label on a unit that they spec out with an OEM (who makes it) and get from the lowest bidder unless it's a bread-and-butter top-dog model.
    Three years for a mainstream or cheaper supply, Five years for a good one (you can push 7+ on a very good supply just do not forget capacity decreases with age).

I recommend Seasonic for their GREAT support and great products, and I've had really good luck with them. My house was direct hit by lightning over a dozen and a half times. It never got through a Seasonic 750w M-II unit and hence never damaged the computer. We lost 2 TV's, and some other stuff, but the computer was still kicking.
    So for this recent (18 month old) Ryzen 3950x machine I've got a 620w Seasonic and it doesn't even get warm (machine is stock clocks and settings, whisper quiet with a large air cooler, and only the RAM DOCP profile is set for proper performance). Highly recommended.
    EVGA has really good service also, and when you buy one of their product they allow you to immediately upload your proof of purchase to them for safe keeping in the event of an issue or unsatisfied customer etc. So if you want good service, pick one of those companies or anyone you've had good experiences with. Just double-check reviews first and most importantly:
    MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THE POWER SUPPLY YOU BUY HAS NOT ONLY THE PROPER PCI EXPRESS POWER CONNECTORS BUT ALSO HAS THE PROPER AMOUNT OF CPU POWER (EPS12V) CONNECTORS! It can have more, that is a non-issue and is sometimes good for future upgrades, but a lot of people forget that part so it's in caps.
    If you have a Micro Center nearby they sell decent units there such as Seasonic and their 'meh' store-brand power supplies (sometimes they are good, again, DO diligence and check reviews), and a few other name-brands sometimes.
    Good brands like Seasonic rate power supplies conservatively AND rate by continuous output at warm temps, cheaper brands rate peak output at room temp - beware of this! Seasonic DOES produce power supplies for about a dozen other label brands, so you can sometimes get a good unit from them on the cheap under another name, provided you don't mind reduced warranties from 'another brand' if applicable.
    Good power supply brands will send you updated cables for modular supplies for free or a small fee when needed, too (such as the new Nvidia 12-pin connectors).
    Make sure to order an 8-pin EPS12V extension if you get annoyed having your PSU wires for EPS12V CPU POWER routed over the motherboard if you have a large case (otherwise, they may not reach to be routed behind the motherboard where they're supposed to be).

--Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Mufflore and YBNorml like this.
  14. YBNorml

YBNorml New Member

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX 6800XT
    PSU arrived, installed and solved the issues immediately. Benchmarked the GPU at 100% load for an hour straight at default clocks and settings no problem.

Decided to have fun.......

Cranked up the GPU Clock to 2675Mhz, GPU voltage back to 1150mV, Memory Clock to 4150Mhz and Power Target % to 115% - one hour, full load, no issues. Temperatures on the GPU never went above 44C and Junction about 56C.

Am now a happy camper!

Mufflore and JonasBeckman like this.
  15. YBNorml

YBNorml New Member

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX 6800XT
    See above :) New PSU came in (EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 1000W) and issues solved. Thanks for the extra detailed explanation!

16. YBNorml

YBNorml New Member

GPU:
    ROG-STRIX 6800XT
    See above, issues solved :) Thank you for your help!

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Nice!
    Glad it worked out easily in the end.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Good writeup, I agree.

A little anecdote although my PSU could be a bit of an outlier :

I have a Corsair AX750 which is based on the Seasonic X-750 PSU.
    This is close to 10 years old now and was used 24/7 for about 8.5 years in my main system: a well overclocked 6700K on water and 1080ti with Arctic Accelero Xtreme III cooler.
    I retired the PSU about 1.5 years ago, replaced with a Seasonic Titanium 750.

But then bought a 2nd PC for gaming only in November with a very high power RTX3090 + 10700K and dug up the old AX750 PSU, out of curiosity, to see if it could handle this new setup (with recommended minimum of 850W).
    Its working like a dream for 2 months so far despite overclocking the CPU and GPU.
    Rock stable.
    I honestly thought I would be buying a new PSU for this rig :)
    (fwiw, during testing, the game with the highest peak power load was Shadow of the Tomb Raider. This is the only game that caused a PC shut down due to a poor PSU connection on the gfx card.)

Using a watt meter to see how hard its pushed:
    Worst case 680W max (not peak) for a moment at the wall, it generally hangs around 620W while gaming.
    Thats about 610W max (not peak), 560W sustained, assuming around 90% PSU efficiency.
    Peak power will be much higher!
    Its possible the PSU has degraded 20% over its "10" year life assuming when new it was able to push out a lot more than rated power.
    Assuming its 5% overpowered from new with 20% wear over the 10 years, its still capable of 637W yet is capable of more for sure!
    There is evidence caps degrade less when kept at constant temp and as it was running 24/7 it might not have even worn 20%.
    (these are quality caps over a long period, cheap ones will likely fail through leakage far earlier - making this clear for anyone reading. A cheap PSU will likely not achieve anywhere near this.)

Very pleasing.