Asus ROG PG348Q 34" Ultra-Wide G-Sync 100Hz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The PG348Q is a 21:9 aspect ratio ultra-wide screen with a curved format and 3440 x 1440 resolution. It features an IPS panel with NVIDIA G-sync support, and according to the press release can support...

Asus ROG PG348Q 34" Ultra-Wide G-Sync 100Hz

2. riardon

riardon Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX760
    Damn Asus has the best design language for their gaming monitors. All the rest companies tend to design bulky monitors with thick bezels and weird stands. Asus are slick and sexy.

3. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    Yes though I don't know if the triple-feet stand is steady as regular ones..sure it looks better.

4. k37chup

k37chup Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti XTrio
    WOW. Looks so good. I'll be happy to pay 1k. Can't wait to upgrade to this from poo acer GD245HQ.

5. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    I have always found that Asus monitors are the best . Sure my next one will be G-sync. However , not willing to upgrade now , because there is no horsepower to power 4k resolution at 100 FPS or even at 60fps ( steady).

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I always wondered with these 21:9 aspect ratio resolution monitors, do games actually support it? Or do we have those ugly black borders like in the screenshot here (from Witcher 3 I think).

7. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Only 100 hz a big epic fail right there, tn anytime if there is not even a 120 hz monitor in that form and low ms times.

8. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 Ultra
    I'm hoping that by the time it is released, Asus will increase refresh to 125Hz from 100Hz.

9. krisk7

krisk7 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Witcher 3 Supports the 21:9 aspect ratio. I guess they set the 16:9 on purpose to show the black bars - additional screen estate.

10. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Defo a nice monitor, and its been a while since i've seen one that's made me want to throw away my money. 120hz would be nice tho.

11. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Almost there Asus, atta boy. Keep trying until u get a 4k 120hz monitor on the market and i'll part with my money

12. snorge

snorge Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 970 SLI
    I tend to agree with that but I'm not so sure about this model. It looks pretty funky in the last two pictures.

13. cleverman

cleverman Banned

GPU:
    Ye

You do realise that's equivalent to a 1080p screen running @ 480 htz right ?
    Nothing the screen developers can do because there limited to the connection bandwidth speed of the display port 1.2 connection.
    To have what your asking will require multiple connections of dp1.2a or wait for dp 1.3
    You ask the imposable.

14. sirrith

sirrith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    Most new games support it.

15. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    I've been reading some stuff about G-Sync and FreeSync. Tell me if I'm wrong:

1) The main difference is that G-Sync when is out of the minimum supported range (I think it's 30Hz/30FPS) the Monitor starts to replicate the last image to fill the gap between the current FPS and the 30 Hz of the monitor.
    Free Sync supports a minimum of 9Hz, but there are still no "Vesa Adaptive Sync monitors" that support adaptive sync below 30Hz, right?
    So G-Sync has the advantage in this (I don't know how much better, because it's not the perfect solution, just a workaround sending the same copy/pasted frame).

2) At the same time, FreeSync monitors seem to be cheaper and there are some IPS cool models around there (at least one LG 4k UHD I've seen before).

----

Personal conclusion:
    I think I will wait until next year to decide which solution adopt. I currently own a GTX 970 (I'll buy something better, 200W-250W, in a future with Pascal or something equivalent from AMD).

To be honest, I'm really tempted by a FreeSync monitor.
    My current target is a 4k gaming at 60Hz. But I want "real" support below 30Hz so I need to wait a little more.
    (4K not just for gaming but reading stuff).

The best scenario would be a 27" 4K monitor with a range of 16Hz-75Hz. With that I could play joystick or non-FPS games at 4K (like some multiplayer games), and some FPS games at 75Hz without AA.
    Or just play some games at 1080p@75Hz resolution (or more Hz if supported).
    A lot of people play heavy games at 1080p in 4K monitors, plus, I don't care about max settings.

16. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Some games support 21:9 natively, some require an .ini edit, while others don't support it at all. Most new AAA games are coming with support for it.

Check out http://www.wsgf.org/ for specific details on many games. They've got a database you can search with instructions and screenshots of games running at various aspect ratios.

17. red6joker

red6joker Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    Man slap a decepticon sticker on it all you'll be set.

18. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX 3080
    That beast of a monitor is going to be pretty expensive, i bet half the price went to the design lol.

19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Nice one, thanks for the info!

20. er557

er557 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    It's like watching kids digging in the sandbox for scraps ,not seeing what's right in front of them...

Philips BDM4065UC

nuff said...