ASUS ROG GR6 Gaming Desktop

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    After the GR8 ASUS now announced the ROG GR6 ultra-compact desktop, a console-inspired 2.5-liter PC with supreme gaming performance. GR6 is powered by a 5th-generation Intel Core i5 processor and NVI...

ASUS ROG GR6 Gaming Desktop

2. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    >>GTX 960M graphics for Full HD gaming>>
    will have hard days w/o turning down GFX settings.

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    You do realize FULL HD is only 1080p.
    1080p high settings with 2xAA is not gonna be that hard for a 960m for even 2014/2015 games.

The 960m is the same performance as a 750ti.

4. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Well, my 680M is about identical in performance and it doesn't swallow everything on 1080p, 2xAA - a little down with settings may be needed.

5. makaveli316

makaveli316 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    People, you´re crazy, if you think a pc with that graphic card could run decently the top games in the moment....even on 1080p.
    This rig is a joke with that graphic card. They shouldn´t use the word gaming when promoting this pc.
    With nowadays lack of optimization, this card will struggle a lot. Even my 970 struggles at times.

6. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    No, it isn't a joke - it can play most games on high settings/ at 40 - 50 fps, enough for casual players. But a real player ofc does laugh at that performance.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    What settings are you playing in game where your 970 struggles? Even with my CPU only going up to 3.6 ghz, my 970 still handles everything I throw at it!

People are talking down about this GPU like it is a horrible piece of equipment, when really it is not at all. No it will not handle anything too much higher than 1080p with 2xMSAA, but here is the thing about PC games folks. You can play with settings, you can tweak settings, you can do things to get the performance higher always! For a small tower, the specs on this guy are not bad at all.

The only thing I would be worried about is the price. My Alpha which is comparable to the ROG GR6 I got for $450 with a rebate, which is only an i3 inside of it but performance wise not much lower than that i5. I also added more memory for $30, so still $480 for the machine I paid. That is a pretty good price, and if I wanted upgrades from Dell I would get them. Plus it came with a 360 controller, which this does not.

8. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yep. Why would anyone (except a n00b) want to buy a desktop with no internal PCIe expansion slots, with a (comparatively puny) laptop GPU soldered to the motherboard?

You can do so much better for the money, and I don't even know what this thing will sell for...;) You could pick better components all the way around, in a case that would allow for future upgrades and expansion, as well as user serviceability. This product is "n00b-designed with the n00b in mind"...;)

9. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    This product is designed for people who do not want to nor know how to build a PC. Either that or someone looking into small form factor PCs, it's pretty much a laptop with no screen.

Calling them noobs isn't productive, this is a help site after all.

10. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Do you see the size of it? Can you build a fully functional desktop with this size and power usage, have warranty support of a full build, and have a no hassle setup as well? No, you cannot.

You know why I bought my Alpha? Not because I am a "n00b" with computers or anything of the sort, I wanted a solution that was quick, easy, cheap, and just works. Which of all that, it does. Only thing I added to it was more memory(Easily), Kodi, and a USB tuner.

11. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Looks nice, it´s cool, like a great toy to play with, but other than that i have to agree; just learn the basics and build a rig yourself.

12. Enticles

Enticles Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    i'd love to see this and the alienware alpha get compared, to see if there is any difference in performance (or any worth mentioning).

if i had to pick between this, and the alpha - my money would go with the alpha.

13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    960M, underpowered with today's games for decent 1080p gaming, let alone in a year or two! Waste of time/money. (Needs a 980M or a highish end desktop card to make it worthwhile, if it would fit in the case!).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  14. SquirrelBoy

SquirrelBoy Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX770 Jetstream
    While the 960M is alright for gaming, the 15Watt dual core (+ht) 2,7ghz cpu is really not something I'd call gaming hardware...

15. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    2.9 ghz, and it actually does pretty well in games. Have not had an issue with cpu intense games with it.

16. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    True, the the CPU sucks big time too - dual core really! And only 15W too! (GPU still sucks as well).

17. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Never had any issues with it, loading GTAV on it today to see how it works out in a cpu intensive game.