ASUS Republic of Gamers Poseidon GTX 980

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) today announced Poseidon GTX 980 with DirectCU H2O, a new graphics card with an exclusive hybrid thermal solution that enables extremely efficient cooling by either air o...

ASUS Republic of Gamers Poseidon GTX 980

2. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Interesting indeed, wil this version have similar speeds as the Asus STRIX one ?

And that fan stop spinning thing, hopefully they fixed that to, with this design.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The fan stopping spinning on the STRIX is done purposely, temps under 50-60c iirc it stops the fan

4. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    Yeah but i am not a freaking fan of it, hopefully this version wont do the same.
    Hopefully this card is really bugfree, no faulty dvi or display ports, no coilwhine, no fan spin problems, i probably buy two of these then for sli, but first i wait and see what nvidia-users are going to say when they have the card.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

5. EKRboi

EKRboi Active Member

GPU:
    3x GTX970 / 3x AOC i2757
    "ASUS GTX 980 ROG POSEIDON is listed for 1299 NZD (~1008 USD). Card is expected to be available next month." - videocardz

Someone over at Asus must be smoking some seriously good crack. $1k? for this? HELLZ NO! it doesn't even kind of add up. It's either that or the peeps over a videocardz are smoking crack.. all I know is someone is.

6. GALTARAUJO

GALTARAUJO Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX980 Strix
    If you are not a fan of it, maybe you should get another card. That is exactly the value proposition on the card.
    I've got of them running in SLI and the reason I've purchased them is because they are silent when not under stress.
    As of coilwhine, my cards have no such issue. Anyway, I've heard it was more common on MSI cards, but never experienced it.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  7. huilun02

huilun02 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X Lightning
    GTX 980 - $550
    Hybrid cooler - $50
    Branding & Capitalism - $400

Come on its only an 82% mark up.

Its not like you could make your own entire custom loop or buy a new phone/tablet/GTX 970 with the price difference.

You can totally pick up chicks with this thing, worth it.

/sarcasm

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I love the red around the card, should be a great product, as most Asus products are...

Hopefully Hilbert will review it should he get a sample in to test.

9. EKRboi

EKRboi Active Member

GPU:
    3x GTX970 / 3x AOC i2757
    Damn.. I didn't even think about the panty dropping properties of such a card. PREORDERED!

10. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

wow so expensive... i think its cheaper to buy a GTX 980 and slap on a waterblock

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Asus has become my favorite company this past year.

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    They have been my favourite company for the past decade. :)

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    They make good motherboards, however there RMA is pretty crap, Gigabyte and EVGA destroy them for the RMA process.

14. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Agreed, however, I've yet to RMA an Asus product. :D

15. EKRboi

EKRboi Active Member

GPU:
    3x GTX970 / 3x AOC i2757
    I have.. you DON'T want to have to deal with it trust me. I'll continue to buy Asus boards because out of the 8 or so I have owned over the years I only have had to RMA one (onboard sound took a dump). I learned my lesson with them, you just have to be super vigilant. Seriously, call them EVERY day "just to check" until you get a tracking # and see that it has indeed left their warehouse.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Me either hah Upto this current build I always bought Asus MB never had one fail. I hear nightmare stories about there support/rma and i belive it too, My uncle got asus mb for his current build and at MB has issues with the ram slots. 10 minutes into his call to asus to get it rma'ed he hung up on that how frustrated he was withe them.

I even have Asus Router now and i got say its best router i owned AC66U.

That video card looks mighty tasty but not at that prices, and frankly i probably keep buying Evga card as i love there rma support.

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Luckily we here in Finland do not have to deal with Asus since we only have to send it back to shop and that's it.

18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Are you sure that wasn't a lack of patience on your part? Calling everyday sounds awfully anxious. Some companies are just slow or under staffed or over loaded. That's why I always had a backup computer.