ASUS Refreshes its AMD B450 Chipset Motherboards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Not every PC builder needs to be on the cutting edge, though, and the attainable B450 platform is tailor-made for systems where value is the most important consideration. We're boosting the bang-for-...

ASUS Refreshes its AMD B450 Chipset Motherboards

2. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    If there is indeed no new chipset for Zen 3, then I would rather see refreshes of X570 boards. I wonder if those are coming up and if I should refrain from spending too much time looking through existing X570 boards yet..

3. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    I'll never buy Asus again: Bought TUF B450M Pro and so far had some internet disconnects, changed cable but happened again. Nothing I can reproduce to award sending the card back. But a friend of mine got it worse: first TUF B450 Pro just failed, the replacement gave problems too and was finally replaced by MSI Tomahawk. Since then, no problems. My next motherboard brand will probably be MSI for sure, Asus charges a premium for crap components, no thank you!

jbscotchman likes this.
  4. Francesco

Francesco Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    For what concerns motherboards, I only buy ASUS since more than a decade. Before, I used to buy the cheapest mobo I could find, and had problems every now and then.

Since going ASUS I can't remeber a single issue, and I'm speaking of more than a dozen of items, currently I have two Zen 2 and one older Intel I5 system, all on ASUS, not a single issue.
    I'm sure MSI is great too, but maybe you had just bad luck with ASUS.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    This seems strange when B550 is out.
    I hoped there was a bios update for B450 supporting the latest CPUs but this for sure isnt going to happen when newer models are regressing.

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    B450 will support Zen 3. Well, AMD will, I guess it depends on the specific manufacturer. I don't know if they must, as AMD already backtracked on their original plan to only give Zen 3 support to B550 and X570.
    It will be a beta BIOS afaik.

7. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    The fact that you couldn't reproduce the issue consistently means you did not fully debugged it. So you can't really blame asus. It can be anything that is letting the connection die, windows included. You could have a MSI Tomahawk and experience the same problem

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    There will be updates, but they wont be without compromise(cut down beta bioses)

Since amd is providing firmware for B450 oems can now launch old boards with bigger bios chips quite easily. Zen3 is probably going to be a fairly big launch, and there does not appear to be a new chipset launching , makes sense they would try to have something available in volume at launch day.

9. Could ASUS be resolving issues in existing product lines? (as opposed to recalls - which no one seems to do anymore unless you're a car manufacturer)

I lost this between B450M & sending the card back? Possible Google Translation issue methinks? No offense intended...

I will admit yes I have had QA problems with ASUS at times - especially around 2017-2019. It seemed around 2019 they seemed to pick up their customer responsiveness again. I have no clue/no idea why as far as what would have caused that/what internally changed.

rl66 and jbscotchman like this.
  10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I'd say that is possible. Maybe these new boards will have proper Zen 3 support. Still if I was buying a new board right now I'd just go with B550.

Deleted member 213629 and Silva like this.

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    Not so, compared with the A520 that is around that price:
    - compatible with Ryzen 1*00 and 2*00 and with Ryzen 3*00 G/GE (as B550 and A520 are only Zen2)
    - Asus have told that they will update bios for Zen3
    - it allow OC

Most brand keep selling B450 for those reasons.

12. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    A quick google search shows more people in the same situation as me, but either they had the failure during the return period or it manifested repeatedly. After changing cable I had two more disconnects at the time and I've been a couple weeks fine now.
    My friend though had problems with 2 boards that completely bricked his GPU performance, he had constant crashes and bad performance. It could be reproduced and the retailer granted him replacement immediately the two times.
    He has the MSI Tomahawk and his benchmark scores are better than mine now with the same processor and GPU, previously it was the opposite.
    TLDR: Asus TUF uses the same crap components as the PRIME or crap variants. Don't pay more for the same crap!

I was the same, since the first computer I bought with my own money (this is the fifth).
    Asus quality just went down, they're charging more for cheaper components. Plus, they are making fiascos with GPU coolers for some TUF cards, cooler doesn't even have the adequate mounting pressure letting the card overheat.
    MSI is making the better boards now, my next purchase I know what brand it will be!

13. NightWind

NightWind Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG 2060 Super
    Sounds good.

14. Right?! Just seems like such a better investment!

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    asus prime b450m-a II has a 32mb bios and usb biosflash back vs the 16mb bios on the older board, so these definitely seem like they are intended to get a zen3 update, wouldn't be much reason to launch these otherwise.

jbscotchman likes this.

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Exactly. The whole Zen 3 support with B450 is gonna be a huge mess imo when they actually release. Looks like Asus is just trying to get a little head start ahead of the controversy. Still the biggest problem is gonna be with MSI.