Asus Rampage Extreme - Won't start up!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by azcn2503, Aug 20, 2008.

1. azcn2503

azcn2503 Member

GPU:
    HD4870X2 2GB
    OK, so I just bought a lovely new system. It's great on paper, but unfortunately it's not doing much right now!

I've built about 4 or 5 systems in the past without any hassle I guess, apart from maybe the odd processor cooler that caused me some headaches.

The Rampage Extreme is definitely the most expensive motherboard I have ever purchased. Unfortunately, it will not boot.

OK, so it boots to a stage, then just stops. I would like to know if you can suggest anything for me?

The interesting thing is that the system does not boot at all when a USB keyboard is connected. Obviously I need this USB keyboard in order to configure the machine.

When the keyboard is not inserted, the system boots successfully and completes the POST test. However, it cannot find a device to boot with and asks me to press a key to restart. Of course there is no keyboard connected. When I connect the keyboard, I cannot press any keys. It is as if this motherboard just cannot use a USB device!

Needless to say, I have cleared CMOS and tried rebooting many times but I get the same problem each time.

Has anybody else had this problem? What can I do?

2. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate

Re-seat all components and make sure all connections are correct. Are you using the correct type of memory. Just use two sticks of memory, in different slots if necessary, and see if this thing will boot. Just use your boot drive, no others. Are there any LED displays to get an error message or maybe some beeps? Remove unnecessary component cards such as sound and lan.

3. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    So the only problem is with the keyboard? Can you not just use a different keyboard?

4. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    Use an older keyboard . Sounds like it needs USB drivers installed with your OS

Used to run into this alot with USB mice

5. glenboy

glenboy Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5850's for now
    agree with above just get a ps/2 older keyboard they are only about a fiver

6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    A usb to PS/2 adaptor should also work.