Asus Rampage Extreme II x58 SLI Issues

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Ambush083, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    First, I would like to say I'm happy to have joined these forums. Sometimes, its one answered question from a forum that keeps the person there.

Down to business. My Asus Rampage Extreme II board has been nothing but awesome. It has definitely not given me as much trouble as the Asus Striker Extreme 680i. I've finally received my 2nd GTX 280 from Newegg (got a 3rd one coming soon :) ). I have a thread over at Maxishine's forums that shows you what I've already done. For awhile, I thought I found a solution. I've test both cards and they seem to be on point. They both can display my monitor, both show up in device manager and are recognized and have green lights on the card itself. I did have SLI working. Below is a quote from the ASUS forums of a solution that worked...for a short time.

However, now it sometimes gives me errors in my Device Manger under the display adapters. Its the drivers that are malfunctioning it looks like. I tried to replicate the solution and now its not working at all. If I can't do SLI what makes me think I can do TRI SLI. I thought it was the bridge so I used a different one and it doesn't work. Motherboard seems to check out ok. Tried all the different slots and checked out BIOS for anything that should be enabled / disabled. Still nothing. Hopefully, I explained enough for someone more experienced to comment on with a possible solution. I'll be monitoring this thread often for a reply. Thanks in advance.

Video Card
    EVGA GTX 280 Base Model Not Overclocked

Link to thread over at Maxishine's Forum
    http://www.maxishine.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3912

SLI
    :bang: :bang:

TRI SLI
    :bang::bang: :bang:

2. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Well, its finally working. Thank God. I was getting very frustrated. The solution?

Running Driver Sweeper was not an option. I did it everytime. One box I failed to put a tick mark in is the Aegia Physix. Go figure. Anyway, when I did this SLI was able to be enabled. So much troubleshooting and heartache. Oh well. Third card should be coming soon. Can't wait. :banana:

:spam: Da Hawiian kine, bu.

3. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Well, I spoke too soon. Nothing, but SLI problems. It shows up first reboot when I have the bridge off, then I reboot again with the bridge on or off and it goes away. I say or off because I tried both just to be safe. Tried rebooting the first install with the bridge and that got me no where. What could be the problem? I OC'ed my i7 to 4ghz to try to test it and run 3DMark Vantage and it blue screen on CPU test. Then, my drivers in device manager for the graphics cards showed this symbol

Its like I have to keep reinstalling the drivers. What a pain, its not supposed to be that way.

4. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    I have this motherboard too. But I only have one EVGA GTX295.

I was wondering what mobo bios you are using?

5. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    I'm using 1001, but was using 903. Also, I've tried multiple drivers even the newest 181.22.

6. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    I have a very similar issue with my mobo. I even reinstalled vista 3 times. If you find a driver that works, let us know!

7. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    I think its the PSU. It needs 100amps or more on the 12v rail, or so they (EVGA) told me. ABS is going to call me to help me with this issue. I'll ask them if tri sli can run efficiently or not. This must be the problem.

8. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    100 Amps!!!!!!!.....I dont believe that. In the Tri-SLi GTX280 review conducted on this website they used a Enermax Galaxy 1000 Watt PSU and it has 75 Amps on the +12.

9. Nuke_Meltdown

Nuke_Meltdown Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 SLI
    100Amps sounds a lil overkill.....I'm running my SLI setup with only a 750W 12V@60A and i'm not even stressing the PSU @ 80%.

The weird thing is that nVidia recommend 1100W and eVGA 1200W, i know a bunch of guys who run TRI-SLI (No water cooling system) with a 1000W PSU without a single issue.

10. Foes

Foes Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-Sli 260's
    I was bored at work so I surfed around newegg and was only able to find 2 PSU's with 100A on the +12...lol

11. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    I'm going to buy another TRI SLI bridge. If it doesn't work I'll give it to my friend. I don't know what else to do I'm tired of this. :bang:

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    You might have a faulty motherboard , or a hardware failure somewhere. test each card by itself. test every one of your pciExpress slots. Try a different Power Supply , i was using a Silverstone OP 1000w on My rampage extreme II with Quadfire and the PS Unit was not up the job :/ I end up buying PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 1200w Esa certified wich peak at 1400w if needed. And since then i have 0 Problems. I had problems similar to yours so might be the Power Supply its faulty. Good Luck and let me know if i can help.

chispy.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    wow...the Core i7 master responded. How's the 40k run goin? Hope to see it posted soon!

14. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Well. I read this post after the fact. I kept trying diff card diff slots. I labeled them this time with a piece of electrical tape. 1 2 and 3. Then, I found out that it was possibly card#3. I tried to do SLI and I got cards 2 and 1 to work in slots 1 and 2.

Then, my Windows Vista unregistered itself and I spent 2 hours with Microsoft. They had to give me a new key to fix it. I think its because of Vista SP2. I'm not for sure, though. Before that, though. I had SLI then TRI SLI working, but then I done messed it up. I stinking wanted the stuff to look the way I wanted it to look. So then I could not enable it again. I did it all over after I got Microsoft to fix my stuff. They're pretty straight not too bad customer service. My only gripe is they Micro Manage stuff, hence Microsoft I guess.

I repeated the process similarly once more only installing 1 card at a time. Like this.

1) Installed One in 1st PCI-E Slot then Shutdown
    3) Installed Second Card in 2nd PCI-E w/ bridge
    4) Automatically It Installed Drivers and Enabled SLI
    5) Shut Down Installed 3rd Card in 3rd PCI-E Slot
    6) Swapped SLI Bridge for TRI-SLI
    7) Booted Up and It Automatically Installed Drivers
    8) Enabled TRI-SLI

Ok, I did reboot everytime to see if SLI and TRI-SLI worked. It did. Unfortunately it unregistered my product, again! Its ok. Hopefully, I can get it fixed faster. The solution should be the same.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  15. cars10

cars10 Member

GPU:
    gtx 260
    is there a solution to this?

i have an asus r2e and i can't get SLI running either (gtx 260s)
    i have the same thing where i can boot up with 1 card then insert the second and SLI will work once until I reboot, after that I get error code 43s and have to reinstall the drivers, which then won't let me SLI anymore

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    Ouuuch , thats sad to hear :( , you guys should contact Asus directly ,me thinks its a Bios issue now :/. I hope you guys find a fix for your problems soon. I have not try SLI on mine so i cannot give further advice.

chispy.

17. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    I think the overclocking is what's messing up the device drivers. This is unfortunate, because I like overclocking my CPU. Oh well. Any idea when the Core i7 965 Extreme price will drop.

18. Nuke_Meltdown

Nuke_Meltdown Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 SLI
    Good point! First thing first always run @ stock speed; CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.....You just wanna get less issue out of the equation.

A price drop on a i7 965 EE, i'm not expecting that soon......I've never seen an Extreme edition cheap enough to get one...:(

19. cars10

cars10 Member

GPU:
    gtx 260
    i'm not running anything overclocked and still can't get SLI to run :(

20. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Guys quick question, can I assume each and everyone of you is seeing something similar like the image below in the device manager ??

[​IMG]