Asus Radeon R9 290X ROG Matrix

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Singleton99, May 8, 2015.

1. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    Ok chaps i've been waiting for the R390x like most of you too ,
    Atm i have two Nvidia cards and will be swapping a.s.a.p.( i want freesync )

I've just looked on overclockers -uk and i can get a Asus Radeon R9 290X ROG Matrix for £245.99 each with free delivery , and at that price i would get two for crossfire , i mean come on that is cheap right compared to the release price of these babies .

Or should i just hang on a little longer for the R390 and just get the one card ?

cheers

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
  3. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah.. ASUS don't seem to be delivering very good cards, most of the time they're just gimmicks, gamer this gamer that.. Take something good and viable, MSI/Sapphire/Gigabyte for the most part have been very good brands for AMD.

But yeah, with regards to your issue.. I'd say wait and get the 390X when it releases, single card is much better, although multigpu is good too but you'll just have a little smoother experience with single card. Along with multigpus come the thoughts and buts sometimes.

The Vapor X is a very good 290/x is card. If you wanna get 2 AMD cards I'd get those (but still I'd wait for the 390X, seems pointless to sidegrade/upgrade now). Wait it out and get the freesync monitor then, or do you already have one? :D

If you do, is it 1440p + 120hz? .. Then.. yeah, 2x290/x will do. :D (The Vapor X are good)

Damn if you get those 2 cards and run 120hz+fps any game, you'll have the smoothest gameplay experience of your life. It'll look like butter and you can almost touch it. :D Will make playing that much more enjoyable.

But if you also want you could get 1 Vapor X now, sell the 780s and get a 390X if need be later on. (Truth is you might not need that 2nd 290/x with your freesync monitor, I don't know exactly though but I have a feeling.. :D) But in any case if you're already selling them later on then what the heck, get 2 cards already lol, lol what am I saying, just babbling and babbling.. :D

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  4. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    Wow Undying mega thanks for that info you just saved my life , also thanks to you too Deathchild for the info you to have also provided, sound good to me too i suppose , i am just dieing to use the freesync feature that's what fueling my change to the red team, and that i do have a freesync monitor that i'm using now(2560x1440) but unable to use freesync so thats the main reason i was going to grab a couple of r290x especially as the price is insane atm .
    Anyway thanks again and i will just have to hold onto my pennies for now then , i did very nearly press that buy button today on those matrix cards.

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Wait for R390X WC 8GB HBM -> And You don't need 2 of'em to Play in 4k 60FPS in every Game...Then Win10 and DX12_3 :D
    I'm Waiting for that Baby -> I will Pick one of XFX like always, Life Warranty !
    :infinity:

6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I almost did the same thing, OP. Newegg had those ASUS R9 290X for $250 or $260 after rebate and I had it in my cart for about half an hour while I looked up reviews and comments about it. In the end I decided to wait for the R9 380/390 cards to come out.

7. Muchope

Muchope Member

GPU:
    Asus R9 290 DirectCU
    Don't forget that crossfire freesync support is still MIA indefinitely so it would be a waste to get two cards and not be able to enjoy freesync.

I must insist, wait for 390 reveal next month.

8. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Ah yes indeed, about the crossfire support for freesync, there should be improvements in the future but in the current state we don't really know how it works.

So yeah, single card is best then I guess. Your best bet would be a 390X killer. :D It will be a sick card trust me, I hope so at least lol. XD :D

9. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    I suppose that crossfire support for freesync will come but if one was having a crossfire setup with high end cards you could argue that freesync may not be necessarily needed
    because you would probably be running at high fps hopefully depending on resolutions.

So i will be going with just the one card this time and see how that works out ( it's been a long time since i've ran with a single card) .

10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Last edited: May 10, 2015