Asus R9 290x Problems (freezes, crashes, etc)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Merlin, May 23, 2015.

1. Merlin

Merlin New Member

GPU:
    G.Skill sniper 2400
    Hello.
    I have a problem with my Asus Radeon R9 290x video card, that i’ve purchased recently.

My system set up is:

CPU: 4-i5-4690K
    MB: Asus Z97-A
    RAM: DDR 3 G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz (CL 11-13-13-31) 8GBx2 (F3-2400-C11D-16GSR)
    PSU: Super Flower 650W 80+ certified (SF650F14MG)
    SSD: Samsung Evo 850 HDD: Some old WD 2TB SATA 5,400 (tried disabling that as well).
    Keyboard and mouse are USB (Razer Tarantula and Razer Lachesis) - tried unpluging keyboard
    I also use 1-5 coolers (disable all except CPU for testing purposes).

Once i’ve got the system, i was able to use it for one day (both web and playing Shadows of Mordor till 2am) without any problems. However about one day after active use i’ve started to get strange crashes, bluescreens (0xA0000001), driver crashes (the driver has been restored) and freezes. This doesn’t happen only with my system is 3d processing something, but it often happens, when i’m browsing web (i’ve tried to disable Hardware acceleration in Chrome). I’ve also tried to test the card with latest 3d mark, and cann’t get the “Fire Strike” demo in the loop for more, then 10 minutes (usually it freezes).

What have i tried already?

I’ve tried a number of drivers (13.2, 14.5, 15.4 15.5) all possible drivers (both removing old ones with DDU and with a clean install of Win 8.1 with disabled network). I’ve also tried Win 10 once, just to see, if the problem remains (it did).

I’ve also tried clean 8.1 install without any other drivers, except Catalyst.

I’ve tried disabling all on-board devices in Bios (Sound/ Network/Integrated video) and did a fresh install of win 8.1.

I’ve tested the RAM (memtest for 10 hours; each module separately) - no problems.

I’ve tried other PCIE slot.

I’ve tried reseting and updating the bios (And also restoring it back).

Unlikely attempts: I've tried to disconnect the Keyboard and replace the mouse. I've tried to use other HDD (from the other computer)
    So basically now you might say, that it looks like it points at defective PSU or defective video card....But wait, there is more.

The interesting part is that if i put this card into the old computer ( Core 2 Duo E8400, MB: Asus P5K SE; RAM: Some Samsung DDR 2 (i think 800 Mhz, but i’m not sure) 5 SATA HDDs + 5-6 coolers. PSU there is 550 W Be quiet!) it works without any problems (Fire Strike demo was running for 2 hours without any problems, though CPU has limited the result).

If i put the old video card (EVGA Geforce GTX 465) into the new computer is also works without problems (though of cource the card is significantly weaker, compared to Radeon) with GPU limitations).

I’ve tried to plug the PSU from the old computer (be quiet! 550W) to the new one with the same results (it crashes, but that does not eliminate PSU entirely, as be Quiet is only 550w). I’ve tried attaching the new PSU the old computer with the same results (works without problems).
    I've also tried to power the video card with the old PSU, while powering the system with a new one - same result.

Basically all parts in the new PC were just purchased, and i can return any of them (though Radeon got few scratches on the “Armor" due to the constant removal.

So now it looks like a very specific incompatibility (or am i missing something). Though it looks pretty strange, as my build type is quite wild spread, while MB and Video are coming from the same manufacturer/brand.

Thus my question is -
    1) Am i missing something? Should i try something else?
    2) Should i return MB/RAM/CPU/Video? If yes, what should be returned first?
    I was buying parts separetly and some of them from different vendors, and returning all parts doesn't sound logical to me ;) Though indeed it's better to return now, then to be stuck with the faulty build for the next 5 years.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  2. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Try the problem pc with only one stick of ram and then try different sticks one at a time and see if it changes the problem at all. Try the 290 in a different slot, even if its a slower slot, most of the time there's hardly any bottleneck at 8x or pci 2.0.

Honestly to me it sounds like something with the motherboard just doesn't like a certain setting in the bios, or it just cant handle the card in a certain slot, even if its the only 3.0 16x slot. So my first and best guess it might work fine in a different slot and while your at it try boosting voltage a bit on the cpu vcore stuff and ram and also make sure your not overclocking anything just yet.

edit: ok i re-read your op and i see you already tried most of this already...truthfully im more leaning on the motherboard just not being stable with such a powerful card. The fact remains the card worked fine in a different pc so i suggest trying one last time with only one stick of ram at a time and if that doesn't work i would send the board back.

3. Merlin

Merlin New Member

GPU:
    G.Skill sniper 2400
    Thank you for the reply.

I've indicated that i've memtested every memory module separately in memtest and i should have indicated, that i've also tried the 3d mark in those settings as well with same result (freezes in the 3d mark after some 10-15 minutes of use).
    I've also tried to change the memory slots (just in case the other one is faulty).

As for working in the old computer - it is a surprise, that pretty good modern day (and quite expensive) Asus MB (even though it's not from ROG line, like the video is) cann't cope with the card, while MoBo outdated mobo that was initially in the cheaper niche, works without problems while powered by the weaker PSU (though it might just be due to the fact, that old MoBo in combination with new Video and old video in combination with new build work in the lower speed modes even though Fire strike graphic tests provide a fairy reasonable FPS there. Also given, that my old computer is significantly slower, it takes more time to load the stage providing more "idle" cooling for the video).
    But in this case it could be both video and/or MB fault.
    I've also went around to PCIe controls in bios, changes few things, but i really can't change every single option and check whether it will affect the result.

So in conclusion, do you think it is reasonable to return this mobo and go with something more advanced like MSI Gaming, AsRock Extreme -, or Asus Republic of Gamers line )f.e Maximus VII Hero/Ranger - although no PCI slots and pretty expensive for the value)

4. Merlin

Merlin New Member

GPU:
    G.Skill sniper 2400
    have the same feeling, but again, i've tried last 3 firmwares (thus resetting them) without any success.
    If that was something wrong by the default, my post won't be the only one here as the set is rather popular around.
    Same goes about overclocking - i just didn't get that far yet (even though the set was purchased with overclocking in mind, otherwise why one would need 4XXXK processor, Z97 Mob and 2400 RAM ;)) ?

Btw, in some cases 3D mark, doesn't hang, but exits with this message: Workload work failed with error message: Process exited unexpectedly. N

Possibly, but again, this is a popular MoBo a and a popular Video. I've seen at least 10 recomendations for z97a + r9 290x on thg forums alone. Thus if this is not a result of faulty something - we've seen a lot of complaints on this matter.

The fact remains the card worked fine in a different pc so i suggest trying one last time with only one stick of ram at a time and if that doesn't work i would send the board back.[/QUOTE]

5. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    I know its an asus motherboard you have there but its really one of there "discount" version to be honest. Im not trying to say you always get what you pay for...as in more expensive is always better but.....

I know asus board were 300 plus when i bought mine and they still sell new asus boards for 500 plus and looking at it in a certain logic "sometimes you get what you pay for" is not out of the realm of possibility

I guess what im saying is some asus boards are better than others and i cant get over the fact the video card runs fine in a different pc...and that usually means the problem is not the card:)

I would suggest returning it and instead getting a Sabortooth, Maximus, or just treat yourself to one of the other higher end models before you have had it to long to return to retailer...and of course tell them it should be sent back to asus so a different customer doesn't end up with it

6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    Hey there, sorry to hear about the problems you are having with a new build. That is never fun. My only idea is to try something I've seen a good number of 290 users do to fix crashes, and that is to use MSI Afterburner to enable the "force constant voltage" option and try playing and browsing after that to see if it makes any difference at all.

The reason I suggest that is because I have seen it several times across the web, but mainly because I actually have a friend with a 290 who had constant crashes in Diablo 3 until we had GPUZ start logging data to narrow down his crash issues. From what we saw, every time his card was lowering voltages down for whatever reason, GPU load quickly dropping and rising or a loading screen in game, his driver issue would crop up or the machine would black screen and have to be reset.

Also, as far as the 290 working in your older machine, I feel like it may work in there because the other parts are so old that it isn't able to push the 290 enough to bring out the crashes/black screen issues. Hopefully some of this will help. Keep us updated.

7. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    This is a very good point.
    You could try to boot with the minimum hardware connected, like 1 stick of ram, one drive etc.
    What you don't need for a test run should be disconnected entirely.
    Then you could set the bios with correct settings like the actual ram timings (printed on the stick) cpu voltage on auto.

You can check with cpu-z and gpu-z if voltages are in order when stressing (prime95 and furmark).
    Eliminate your cpu being the cullpritt, because it can also produce your error number.

In the end of the day a 750W psu is recommended for a 290X by most manufaturers, and while many get away with lesser, it's still a number one suspect if yours is only 650W.

Have you tried downclocking the card? And forcing it to stay when stressed?
    You can use msi AB for that and also monitor ingame or tests if your clocks stay as they're set.

8. Titan7170

Titan7170 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290XT 4gb
    Don't know if you ever fixed this problem but if your cpu is overclocked try dropping it a couple hundred mhz....or even at stock. I was running my machine at 4ghz with my old card (5970 dual gpu) with no problem......I bought a Sapphire Tri-x R290x and I was getting kicked to the desktop in a few games over and over...especially BF4. tried different rails on my psu(1250w enermax) tried switching ram.......tried uninstalling adobe.....made sure card was cool (64c on load)(40c on idle) uninstalled all old drivers.....finally I decided to drop my clocks on the cpu and that did it!

Ive had 3 cards with this same cpu

4850x2 I could run the cpu at 4.2ghz
    HIS hd5970 4ghz
    sapphire tri-x 290xt 3.8ghz

the stronger the graphics card the more pressure it will put on the cpu and memory......so what worked before with a weaker graphics card may not work with a newer card as the load on the cpu is much higher!

Hope this helps a few people!