ASUS R7 260X DC2-OC-2GD5 - Power Management Tweaker

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Szaby59, Aug 14, 2014.

1. antdes45

antdes45 Member

GPU:
    Asus R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5
    Matija,

Clocks are stored on three bytes, little-endian, in 10^4 Hz.

1'500MHz = 150'000 x 10^4 Hz

150'000 = 0249F0h

Least significant byte first: F04902h

I took the stock Asus PowerPlay table and replaced all the 983A00h (150MHz) for F04902h.

2. matija1

matija1 Member

GPU:
    Asus 7790 1GB
    Oh. I feel stupid now :) I should have guessed that was the case, as Catalyst profiles also store data that way.

Thanks! I'll play with it this afternoon :)

3. matija1

matija1 Member

GPU:
    Asus 7790 1GB
    Unfortunately, this didn't go as planned :(

I dumped my reg key, made the changes (opted for 1600 MHz, through 0x027100 / 00,71,02), rebooted Windows, and was greeted with a silent crash. Hard reset, managed to somehow get in, but with nasty flicker and artefacts. Ran GPU-Z, confirmed the card was at 300/1600. But it was having issues.

Panicking, I ran this tool and went to reference clocks with 300 MHz memory (as it were) and tried restarting the video driver for a quick fix. Well, that crashed the PC. After booting into safe mode and going back to reference 300/300, I'm back to semi-normal. Not fully normal, because my RAID-1 got messy, and now I have to let it verify for the next 12-16 hours. Thankfully, OS and apps are on SSD, so at least the computer isn't running like a dead horse while it's scanning the drives. chkdsk found no issues with the file system, but I'm going to let this run anyway.

I have no idea why the card didn't like 300/1600. It was running like that for a year under Windows 8.0.

Going to try 300/600 tomorrow...

4. antdes45

antdes45 Member

GPU:
    Asus R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5
    Start with a 150MHz RAM idle preset. There are some 300MHz in the code for core idle, you don't want to change those. The reg file I copy pasted hasn't crashed on me yet. EDIT: Restore points are a good idea.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

5. matija1

matija1 Member

GPU:
    Asus 7790 1GB
    That's what I did. I dumped the key from a stock setting with 150 MHz memory. A total of six changes, from 0x003A98 (15000) to 0x027100 (160000).

Your key has 13 occurances of 0x0249F0, since you pumped up the memory to 1600 at all times. But that's still a lot more than I'd expect from looking at the tool; there's two PowerPlay states and eight PowerTune settings, for a total of ten. You had three extra, I had two extra. Hm.

6. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I own a Gigabyte 7970 OC... The power manager +-80% would be amazing over the stock 20%... The question is would this work? Is it safe to try it? I want to increase power/voltage because my 7970 OC is hardware locked, maybe driver will force consistent high voltages that will allow me to overclock better.

Edit: Having tested and knowing that it doesn't work... I would greatly appreciate it if you can add Gigabyte 7970 OC Support...

It's a fairly cool GPU, that rarely ever goes over 70 Degrees Celsius, yet Gigabyte have its voltage locked. Maybe the driver trying to eat more power will result in more power being eaten by the card and thus allowing us to overclock it a bit further (I am aware that theoretically this sounds stupid, because Gigabyte have it locked hardware wise, but I've seen weirder things being achieved with some tweaks here and there). I personally cannot achieve more than (1050Mhz Core) and (1400Mhz Memory). Those are my limits before artifacts begin to kick in.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  7. Alvaro93

Alvaro93 New Member

GPU:
    Asus R7 260x 2GB dc2 oc
    I used the tool but every time I reboot after making the changes I get a BSOD.
    Is there any step that must be done before using the tool?
    I followed all the guide but I can't get the card working in this way.

8. antdes45

antdes45 Member

GPU:
    Asus R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5
    You can try reinstalling the driver after cleaning with DDU. The software should work without problems, at least with the slower profiles (Sapphire 1050/1500) Before you use the tweaker, accept the agreement in the overclocking section of CCC.

Otherwise, make sure PCIe Spread Spectrum is disabled in your BIOS.

Those Bonaire cards are lemons I must say.

9. JohnLai

JohnLai Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Lemon you said? I am speculating it is memory component issue rather than the GPU core itself. It happen with all GCN 1.1 GPU, Yes, you heard it right. 260,260x,290 and 290x. The dreaded introduction of marketing material 'Powertune' and 'ZeroCore'. (sounds the music)

Information specifically for 7790/260x
    ASUS claims it is Hynix memory module issue.
    Another two of the AIBs (can't recall the name) claims NCP81022 controller is the issue. This controller somehow "can't" deliver properly what its specification has promised.

I noticed threads and post about 290x and 290 also exhibit same issue with 2D/3D memory clock switching. Admitly, I don't have much info on 290/290x.

10. Alvaro93

Alvaro93 New Member

GPU:
    Asus R7 260x 2GB dc2 oc
    Thanks.Done. But same bsod.
    Also, there is no option about Spread Spectrum in bios.
    If I change vbios, ANY vbios, I get bsod. So any variaton on this card get BSOD. :bang:

11. antdes45

antdes45 Member

GPU:
    Asus R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5
    @JohnLai, well I said the cards, not the GPU themselves. 18 months later and no working fixes to speak of.

@Alvaro, RAM and core voltage modulate with PowerTune. Your card probably doesn't handle the lower "idle" voltage well. Asus sold you the card with fixed clocks and probably didn't test if the components handle lower voltage.

My card also had trouble with VBIOS changes so I turned to the original and now only use the Power Tweaker presets or edit the registry entry (it doesn't change the BIOS). Now we would have to figure out what all those bytes mean in the PowerPlay table to possibly do something...

12. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  13. matija1

matija1 Member

GPU:
    Asus 7790 1GB
    I have an Asus like yours, and I can't set 2D clocks with that program...

Edit: Correction! With the latest version, I can! I had 2.4.x.y (the latest is 2.7.9.0 - an intermediate failed to install a couple of versions ago), and 2D wasn't an option in advanced settings. Now it is... I'm currently running a registry tweak at 300/600, which seems good for now.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  14. Alvaro93

Alvaro93 New Member

GPU:
    Asus R7 260x 2GB dc2 oc
    Yeah, I can't downclock my gpu. It's always at 1188 mhz and 1225 mv.
    With powertune, I get always freezing during login in Windows. It's impossible to lower the clock also on gpu-tweak by asus.
    Now here's my situation in Idle:
    Clock 1188mhz
    Gpu voltage 1225 mv
    Memory Clock 1750 mhz
    Temp :35 °
    Fan Speed 60%

15. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
    did you use in GPUtweak the option "settings/Tune/Tunesetting/keep settings for next start" ?

16. Alvaro93

Alvaro93 New Member

GPU:
    Asus R7 260x 2GB dc2 oc
    No, I did not use that option. I tried to use the tool with the gpu-tweak uninstalled. Freezing and Blue Screen.:bang:

17. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
    ok,

just an update: got stable results with gpu-tweak 2.7.9.0 for months without Freezes of Death (FOD).
    2D clock 550 Hz
    memory 6400 Hz (maximum)
    driver 14.12 omega !

18. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Also a slight note,

If you have more than 1 monitor the coreclock tries to stay close to 500mhz.

19. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    For the chap last month, matija1, who was trying for 1600MHz idle states for vram, were you sure to bring over the appropriate memory timings and not just the desired frequency?
    AMD cards have different "straps", not too dissimilar from dram timings, that each mate to a corresponding frequency.
    If the case is as it was written, I'm not surprised at all that 1600MHz was unstable for you since the 150/300MHz strap is the fastest/tightest.

For instance, I require 1.55v on my vram for stability at 1500MHz using the 300MHz straps.

The reason why 1600MHz was stable previously is likely because the means (afterburner?) you used to achieve the overclock will use the appropriate, bios-determined, strap for a given frequency.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  20. matija1

matija1 Member

GPU:
    Asus 7790 1GB
    It was previously stable through Want_n settings in a Catalyst XML profile - honoured under Windows 8.0, not so in 8.1 with the same versions of drivers.

Timings and/or voltage could have been the problem with a direct registry frequency edit, I agree, but not a lot I can do with binary data.

Anyway, I've been running at 600 MHz memory for 3+ weeks, and it's almost okay. There was a single freeze two days ago when trying to play an embedded YouTube video in Opera 12. I don't have time to hack around right now, but I'll have a look and see if there are any differences in that registry key after changing 2D settings with ASUS GPUTweak. If there are, it'll point me towards voltages/timings. I'll also check if 1600 MHz through GPUTweak is stable. If it is, I just might switch to that permanently and hopefully have a stable computer.