ASUS posts Radeon RX 7900 Series TUF Gaming specs, incl clocks frequencies

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    A bit disappointing, but I don't know what I expected, they're always barely any different out of the box. There's so many rumours swirling around regarding the 7900XTX's much lower than expected clocks, I wonder what the truth is.

pegasus1 likes this.
  3. Catspaw

Catspaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH.

Sorry, my Jack Nicholson is showing.

I wonder if the chiplet design is not yet as optimized as it should be and some things had to be scarified in the first iteration of this non-monolithic die.

4. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    There were rumours the 7900XT/XTX had to be taped out again to fix some clock frequency issue not present on the lower end cards. Sorry, a bit too busy to go find the details at the moment.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The last I heard of that rumour it states that the 7900XT/X that will be launched will have that flaw, and the fixed versions will be named 7950 and 7990.

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I think the TUF versions are now their entry line, so it makes sense that they aren`t that catchy to the eye, like the high end versions.

Personally, i like the simple and understated style of TUF cards, the problem is the ASUS tax...

Kaarme and tunejunky like this.
  7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

wait and see

but really think about how it's made...imho if there's glitches it will be in the GCD (i/o die equivalent)
    as it has twice the number of fanout wires to ryzen - 50 and they're thinner packed into a similar area
    and the Infinity Fabric is a bit power hungry @ 1.3 picojoules per bit.

but some issues may well be that cache doesn't scale as well on a node shrink nor do the external interfaces (using that extremely thin wire)

in all reality MCM GPUs could almost be described as acting opposite of MCM CPUs in construction.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    In mainstream, the bottom seems to be the Dual, whereas in enthusiat it could indeed be TUF. In the mainstream segment TUF is still considerably more expensive than Dual, so it can't be trash (relatively speaking).

H83 and tunejunky like this.
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    True, i never remember those because they look really cheap...

10. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    3.5 slot cooler + extra pci-e connector just for a 5% factory overclock is pretty underwhelming.

Of course it's a win-win for ASUS; save money by recycling NV4000 coolers while at the same time justifying price higher than MSRP because beefier cooling solution/moar powar/OC.

Maddness likes this.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's not the looks I'm disappointed in, it looks exactly like what I expected, like any other TUF card from the last few years. It's the disturbingly low clocks are. And yes it is their entry level card, but it's often built better than others and is indicative of what clocks to expect from other models. My current card is a TUF and for the 7900XTX I'd likely get a TUF model as well if I buy one, assuming it keeps to that standard.

That and it's too procreating big like all the others, it'll take and block all but 1 PCIE slot on my full sized X570 board, and that's a problem.

12. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090

The 7990 is the card that will have 3dvcache, according to some leakers.

tunejunky and Maddness like this.
  13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The lower clocks seem to be a "problem" of the upcoming 7900 GPUs, so i don`t think there`s anything Asus can do about it...

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Yeah that's what I was saying, if Asus's has such low clocks, they all probably will have relatively low clocks compared to expectations.

H83 likes this.
  15. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    As sad as it sounds, this is a "do not buy gen", Nvidia need to lower prices by a good 30% and AMD will be a fail even with cheaper prices until the good 7950 comes out.

I was hoping for a good upgrade for 4k but will have to wait to next gen, not too worried tbh.

H83 likes this.