Asus M4A785G-M + Phenom II x4 955 BE Good choice?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by NemesisT103, Apr 17, 2010.

1. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    Well hey there everyone, im building a new rig for a friend, and also buying for myself a new processor im jumping from my x3 720 to a x4 955, and since im buying all this things in a friend's store, he will give me a free motherboard, :D.

So basically right now i have an Asus M3N78-EM and he will give me a new Asus M4A785G-M. So by next week, ill get the new processor and the new mobo for free wiii :D. As far as i checked online its a pretty decent motherboard, much more OC capable and many more options, than my current one, so what do you guys think, its a decent upgrade?

I will be still using my G.Skill 2x2gb 1066MHZ CAS 5 and my XFX 5850 along with the processor and motherboard mentioned above. A the only reason im upgrading its because someone offered me a pretty sweet price on my x3 720 and the difference is really low on me buying a new one and a plus im getting the new motherboard for free, so can sell my current motherboard along with the x3 720. Do you guys think its a decent upgrade? If anyone has the Asus M4A785-M Motherboard maybe some feedback?.

Thanks!

2. MyNameIs940

MyNameIs940 New Member

GPU:
    MSI HD 4850 OC 512MB.
    I dont have the M4A750-M, But i have the M4A77TD PRO, Its a OC god, My AII 425 is running 3.5 stable with no overvolting.

3. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    Thanks for the info, well im going to be getting the new things this week, ill post back with benchs to compare and see how big the jump was.

4. Rob McClelland

Rob McClelland Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 390 x
    Why not get the new Asus 890 one? I just order my gigabyte board 890 :p I haven't order cpu and ram yet I get that bit later check my computer spec thread hehe.

5. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    Well, hehe the only reason im changing my motherboard its because im getting that new asus for free. I got no money atm to upgrade, so its not a choice. hehe im selling my current motherboard + my x3 720, buying a new x4 955 and getting the new asus mobo for free.

6. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Only issue w/ that M4A785G-M for me is the fact that it's a uATX board and not a standard ATX board which means u'll lose a couple PCIe or PCI slots.

deltatux

7. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    Its the same as my M3N78-EM its also an uATX board and i dont mind the only slot i use is the PCI-E for my XFX 5850. =)

8. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Ive got a gigabyte UD3P on the way, uses DDR2 and supposedly overclocks really well, have a look at that.

9. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    Well i got my new motherboard and processor today, everything works perfectly, my new Phenom II x4 955 BE its a C3 Revision it OC's really nice, and the motherboard is far far better than my last one when it comes to OC options. I can reach easily 3,6 GHZ on stock volts and the HT in 2.6ghz too bad my ThermalTake Ruby orb is not doing a good job at keeping this new quad core cooler cool under heavy load while OC so until i buy a new one ill be on stock clocks :(

10. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    Results!! Well i finally got the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for a decent price and even though the installation was a bit tricky, and more complicated than with other coolers i installed by damn for its price it perfoms like a champion.

With the stock cooler & and the thermaltake Ruby orb i had this results.

No OC.
    With 16° - 20° Ambient temperatures.

IDLE Temps: 34°
    Max Load temps: 49° - 52°

OC To 3.6 GHZ

IDLE Temps: 39°
    Max Load Temps: 59 - 62°

So basically as you can see neither of those 2 coolers were doing their job properly, and right now we are going into cold days, so... i couldnt even imagine when summer hits back.

And now this are the results with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Installed and working!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    That Hyper 212+ works better in a push/pull config - you need to grab another fan and slap it on the other side pushing air through, with the other fan pulling it...

Just so you know, 62*C is nearing the thermal threshold of the CPU...too much of that and you'll be popping little bitty transistors unbeknownst to you!

Congratz on your new components! It's like xMas!!

Psychlone

12. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I put my 955 BE in my comp yesterday with my titan fenrir, 3.6ghz, 30c idle, 47c load, really pleased with it, the paste hasnt bedding in properly and im running slighty high voltage for testing, may be able to drop another couple of degrees.

13. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    To be honest I think the 62C threshold is exaggerated. I have the TRUE 120 Copper on my CPU and the temperature still rises to 62-65 in summer and I don't really care. If the CPU dies, from my point of view, it'll be a great excuse to upgrade to an X6 :D

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^He said it was close to the threshold...;)

The TJmax is about 72c iirc.

15. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I thought it was 62C, sorry if I was wrong.

16. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    55C is reccomended temps to stay under, 62C is the limit.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Really? OK well my bad then..excuse me..:)

18. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    Well i did add an extra fan pulling the air out and its also being helped by the exhast one, so, and max load temps dropped aboud 3° more, so its great, this new cooler is really a good performer at a low price! Im very happy with it.

Some screenies!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes i know i need to work more on my cable management, I'll do so asap :D

Thanks for all the help everyone!

19. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Your cable management looks great! What are you talking about?? BUT - you need to maybe rethink your airflow.

From what I can see, you've got 2 fans on the Hyper in a push/pull config moving towards the rear of the case (and there's only about 2.5" before it gets turbulent hitting that rear fan to be exhausted) - then you've got 2 top mounted fans pulling air UP...so everything around the CPU has a negative pressure and probably is wasting a bunch of each of those fan's efficiency just fighting for their own CFM.

I have to assume that you've got at least the 140mm stock fan on the front of the case pulling air IN across your HDDs. (if you don't you may want to think about that - 55*C and most HDDs start to fade quickly) - which is also heating up the air inside the case.

So, given the parameters of the CM690II, and the amount of fans I can currently see, I would reverse the rear and both the CPU heatsink fans so that it draws air IN from the back, through the HS and exhausts it via the top 2 fans and the front. Effectively REVERSING all the airflow throughout the case.

Here's why: ALL of our CPUs are toward the rear of the case. Any large tower cooler puts that even closer to the rear, so if you're pulling air IN from the back, the CPU's heatsink is the first thing to grab that nice, cool air. From there, it would be expelled via the top (since heat rises) and via the front fan, still effectively cooling the HDDs in the system.

Give it a try - I would be surprised if it doesn't drop your CPU and motherboard temps by at least another 3*C.

I know it sounds weird, but if you just think about it - your case was made for a 'general' audience, and there's just no way that the way CM wants the fans in their case is going to produce the best airflow in every possible scenario. Sure, in some situations, the front to rear (standard) works best, but in my experience, it rarely is.

Good luck, and again, Congratz!

Psychlone

20. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I have a similar setup than him I think. I have the top of the case sucking in hair, then the fan on the CPU and on the back pushing it out of the back.

It worked well for me, basically pull the air down and push it out the back.

I also dont have a 2nd CPU fan since the fan in the back (Ultra KRAZE which is extra thick).