Asus m3a79-t deluxe usb problem

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by jststojc, Mar 31, 2009.

1. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    Hey guys i have that board witht he latest bios (all otehr specs at the side) and im experiencig issues with my mouse (both mice in fact). one is a logitech g5 and the other one is a logitech mx1100(totally new just came from RMA as a replacement). so the problem is the g5 keeps dcing from the comp itself and reconnecting (it looses power and then get it again and windows reckognises that and sometimes it just drops the DPI to its lowest), the mx1100 kinda has the same dropping problem buti cant see the power drop on it cuz its wireless :) but still the mouse coursor doesnt move for a moment, so i used both mice on my older rig 680i sli evga with q6600 other stuff was teh same and it all worked perfect. im using windows 7 x64 and vista x64 (first i htought its some w7 bug but its persistant on win vista aswell) i tried all the tweaks for usb in the bios but sitll same problem and the dcing is just random, there is one thing i ahvent had any problems connecting my usb drive so thats what makes me think it must be the mouse but since one is totally new and since both work fine on another mobo i think its the usb on my mobo, yet the working drive puzles me) does anyone have a clue what could it be?

2. MrTOOSHORT

MrTOOSHORT Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 @965MHz
    Did you install usb 2.0 from the Asus mobo cd? Also did you install the logitech driver for the mice? I have the same board and didn't install anything ( just let windows xp install the hardware ), I have the logitech mx 3200 keyboard and mouse combo and everything is working fine.

3. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    hmm, ye i tried it with drivers, or just with default vista/w7 drivers still the same problem, i do think there must be an issue either witht he combo of the mouse +mobo or just the mobos usb is ****edup (feels like the usb doesnt give enough juice out and ithink its more often when i play games -eg. the comp is stressed and its hotter, but i have great cooling and nothing but the gpu ever gets over 45 degrees celsius)

4. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    Sorry to tell you ... but this is a know problem to asus motherboard. You will notice that also the keyboard will have a lag sometimes. Best advice I can give you , try to place the mouse in another USB. Mine in the back of the case is lagging or droping , but as soon as I put in one of the expansion slot for USB on the case in front is ok. Also ... I have tried a bunch of drivers and BIOS-es but with no luck. I am using an asus M2N4-SLI. So next time I thing i will go gigabite or other...

Sorry mate.

5. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    oh thanks for the response man, do you think i could RMA the motherboard? ye asus is kinda **** but where i bought the whole stuff they had no other am2+ mobo with 790fx and good power planes (wanted to oc), besides this the bios is crappy too (dont like ami at all) and its probably my first and last asus mobo ever (gigabyte, dfi, evga are all way better in my opinion) i have a ps2 keyboard so i dont get that issue. oh i tried the front usbs and they make the same problem aswell, i even jsut connected my usb drive and started copying a 6gb file, it copys quite fast and doesnt dc it, but during the copy the mouse made a random dc again (without affecting the copying, so sucky...)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  6. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    sorry to hear that mate ... good luck on the new motherboard. You can try to RMA the product. But make something beliveble ... they will not exchange for this reason I think.

Good luck

7. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    yah tnx, its hillarious tho if i connect both mice at once the wired dcs but the wireless still works

8. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I've been on the ASUS side for many, many years, and have never even heard of USB problems like what either of you are talking about.

I currently am running the M3A79-T and have absolutely no USB problems, nor have I ever had an USB problem with any ASUS board.

This doesn't mean that you both didn't have a crap board to begin with, or something else that's in common, but generally speaking, ASUS is top of the line in motherboards.

One thing that I can say, is that my mouse wheel experiences a bit of lag when scrolling, but that's only on Windows 7 - it doesn't do it on any other OS, just every beta since 7000, so it's obviously a Win7 issue as far as that's concerned.

Before jumping the gun, why not install Vista or even XP on a spare HDD or partition and try both your mice...if something's not physically wrong with your motherboard, you'll see right then and there because you're taking everything else out of the equation.

Although everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect your opinion about the AMI BIOS and the M3A79-T BIOS features, jststojc, I respectfully disagree with your outlook on it. The M3A79-T BIOS is one of the most thorough and overclocker friendly BIOS' there is on the market. I've made world-record overclocks on air using the M3A79-T and M3A32-MVP boards (both have identical BIOS).

The Award BIOS is 'dumbed down' to be more user-friendly. They hide or leave out several BIOS settings that are essential to overclocking...and finding those settings in their BIOS folder hierarchy is monotonous for people like me.

Anyway, enough arguing semantics.

I suggest installing Vista or XP on another HDD or partition and testing your mouse - if it's still having issues, then you can safely say that it's the motherboard, but unless you actually test the mice in another OS on the same system, you're not getting anywhere troubleshooting.
    If, for some reason, the mice exhibit the same behavior on Vista or XP on the same machine, then it's safe to say that you need a new motherboard - but don't let that turn you from ASUS - they're one of the best motherboard manufacturers in the world, and I'd hate to see you settle for something less than what the M3A79-T has to offer.

Good luck, and please do post back with your results.

Psychlone

9. MrTOOSHORT

MrTOOSHORT Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 @965MHz
    jststojc said in his other post that he tried Vista 64 with the mice. I agree Asus is top notch. I ran an A8R32-MVP deluxe with an opteron 165 with an ref of 350 for over a year until I sold it. And now I'm using a M3A79-T and also couldn't be happier with it. I'll always buy Asus mobos in the future. jststojc? Do you have other stuff plugged into other usb ports? I'm asking because I had a problem where one day I couldn't run Need for speed undercover, it would just crash all the time when I loaded the game. Just out of the blue, was fine before. Found out that when my ps3 controllers were hooked up through the usb on my comp just to charge them up, it made nfs crash. I pulled them out and now NFS is working great. Just a suggestion, maybe other usb hardware is conflicting with your mice. Hope it works out for you. :)

10. daytripper67mi

daytripper67mi Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS/HD5770/1024
    no usb mouse problems here M3A78-T,A8NX5 & A8R32mvp,if it is a board problem i would think that asus would have to rma.also have you tried @stock clock?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009

11. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    ^ Sorry - I missed the part where he said that he'd tried with Vista...

I was just thinking about the EHCI Handoff and Legacy settings in the BIOS for the M3A79-T.
    EHCI Handoff needs to be set to [Enabled] and Legacy needs to be set to [Auto].
    EHCI needs to be taken care of via the OS drivers and not by the BIOS - this could certainly cause issues with any USB devices.
    Legacy support *has* to be set to [Auto] to enable any older USB technology because there's a register set in the BIOS that messes with USB ports if it's set to [Disabled] - [Enabled] is almost worse, since it won't shut itself off if no legacy USB connections are made, unlike [Auto] (which will turn itself off in the event that no legacy USB device is detected)

Give that a try real quick before sending the board in for RMA.

Sorry about not seeing that Vista was already tried.

Psychlone

12. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    thanks for the suggestions, ill try those bios settings you suggested, however i wrote to asus and they sent me back a reply to contact my reseller and do a RMA with them (to be honest im not really into it because i would have to send it to germany from slovenia), oh the mice work fine on another system (q6600, 680i sli, 4gb ram) so i woudl think it has to do somethign with the mobo/cpu combo. maybe its an x64 problem, tho i doubt it cuz its totally random. oh and i tried with only the mouse conneted, with both mice and with the mouse and an usb hdd

13. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    so i just tried what you suggested psychlone and i still have these issues (they are somewhat less often tho i think, still unacceptable)

14. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    G1 1070
    I didn't say that I hate ASUS. Is one of the best. As you all said ... maybe just bad luck. I think that USB are not soldered good. who nows , i am no electrician :D ...

15. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    ye it feels like the usb intermittently looses power, coudl it be some power saving function that kicks in without being supposed to ?

16. jststojc

jststojc Maha Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx285
    i just updated the bios to the latest 0803, still same issues (random dcing lol)

17. Jinja

Jinja New Member

GPU:
    Asus 8800GT 512mb
    Hello, i got the exact same problem on my asus P5KR, some times not very often and then like right now maybe 4 times every 5min ~ driving me crazy! =/

18. ginj

ginj Member

GPU:
    EVGA gtx470
    same problem here on asus M3N78
    both of my mice give me that interruptions and both give me random cursor jumps
    what is really weird is that its completely random
    i mean, i can get those problem like every minute or none for weeks.
    i tried almost every tests, stress tests, benchmark i could found without any luck of finding the cause of the problem.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010