ASUS Launches TUF Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Motherboard

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ASUS announced TUF Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 including TUF Thermal Armor and TUF Fortifier technologies, TUF ICe, TUF Thermal Radar 2 and TUF Detective 2 for cooling, strength and easy monitoring and con...

ASUS Launches TUF Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Motherboard

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Haha, good find!

Well, theoretically you could use PCI-E risers or single-slot cards and connect to PCI-E 1x. Still, I'd count it as marketing buzz and false marketing.

3. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    That's probably the first motherboard I've seen with a backplate it's very nice but it would be nice to see some colour variety.

4. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    looks cool

but i wonder what those slidder on power-regulator-chocke-heatsink work for ?
    seems only open/close for air circulation/ useless cosmestic stuff?

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    Z170 support only 2 graphic card at once (at 2 x8) as the previous Z97 and Z87...

quad GPU = 2 card with dual GPU

if you want 4 card you need a X99 or X79 (entusiast serie :) ) or as ASRock and MSI have done, add PCIe line with 3rd part chip.

i know there is some regular mother board with 4 PCIe X16 but once you connect 4 card: 2.0 X8 X4 X4 , in another word, it's cool for mining but for rendering better stay with 1 or 2 card.
    (btw they are not cheating you it is written in very small on the box where you never look at :) legal precaution).

6. kinggavin

kinggavin Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    quad sli is a pair of dual gpu cards like the gtx 760 mars or titan-z

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'm confused about this.

Does that mean the bottom slot will always work at x16 regardless of what is in the top 2? I'm not sure I've seen that set up before and don't quite understand the point.

8. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    The Top Slot will Runn PCI Express 3.0 or 2.0 (depending on your GPU) at X16

If the Top and bottom slot are occupied they'll both run at X8

If you look at the first picture you'll see the the bottom slot, while it is X16 in length, its only electrically wired for X8. So no, the bottom slot will only run X8 at either 3.0 or 2.0 depending on whats populating it.

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580X SE
    nope the real 3.0 X16 slot is the top one (see the color sheme difference) if one card is on second slot and the 3rd is empty then it is a X16, if all are populated then it is X8 on the 2nd and 3rd slot (sometime it even throtle down to 2.0... wich is more or less the same in fact)

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Asus have been sticking backplates on their motherboards for a good few years now, think it started way back with the Formula 5 or perhaps the older Sabertoothes, all I know is my Formula 7 has a backplate.