ASUS launches ROG Phone with 90 Hz OLED Screen

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Alright the last one from ASUS for today, ROG Phone is a new 6-inch smartphone designed specifically for high-performance mobile gaming. A phone with GameCool 3D vapor-chamber cooling system, yes....

ASUS launches ROG Phone with 90 Hz OLED Screen

2. Embra

Embra Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    Rog this, Rog that .... A whole lot of ROGging going on.

I really like using my phone as a phone and browser/email. This is a bit much for me.

schmidtbag and cryohellinc like this.
  3. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Well...it has GameCool 3D vapor-chamber cooling system in it so it must be good! Nah i keed. But really is there a market for this?

4. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Red Devil
    This might just be the worthy upgrade from my iPhone.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Maybe it's just me, but that's a silly phone.

cryohellinc and airbud7 like this.
  6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Neah, it isn't just you. It has RGB LED's too. Happy middle-schoolers I guess.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT73VRE TITAN
    I want one

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    This phone looks like it´s dedicated to the Guru3d crowd... All that´s missing is the option to overclock the damn thing!...

HitokiriX likes this.
  9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Needs you to register at ROG probably, and then you need to root it :D

10. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    no mention about battery life or cost. i'm betting you it's silly money and poor battery time.

11. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    4000mhA battery so should be decent and you can change between mode also between normal and performance, and the AOMOLED should help cut power consumption a little more over LCD, I want one!, but yeah price is going to be silly, so it maybe i want but never get lol.

12. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    that heat vapor fin on back of the phone interesting, wonder if it really improve heat dissipation compared to thick aluminum frame+glass back

but again SD845 is 10nm... so dont think the phone going to be that hot even with continuous play
    so far all phone with 10nm SoC i own never go hot like 14nm one
    the highest probably around 60℃ at most in core.... battery / overal temp always below 40℃

samsung s7 with 14nm often go nearing 80℃ on load

but i dont think this phone have ip68 with those fin in back, if it have ip68 kinda interesting how they design the vapor with water resistance

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    So, I imagine myself having this phone in that fancy dual screen case or whatever it is. Having it closed in pocket.

I am walking, can I make call using just one hand to take it out of pocket, open it and touch all those areas required?
    I guess Not.

14. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    You are correct it's not IP68, it's only splash resistant. Even then take IP68 with a pinch of salt anyway my S7 started to act up with a bit of rain, took months to dry out the port before i could charge via USB so had to charge via wireless. So as far as i am concerned IP68 is worthless it's a meaningless sticker and certification.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. Catcher40

Catcher40 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Just think of using this phone with Steam Link app to play your PC games using your steam controller connected to the phone as well, i think it would look amazing. where can i buy one?

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Test it 1st with your regular android phone. Steam Link has a lot of work to be done. They fixed quite a few bugs in last update. But controls are far from great.
    Test your intended game type. Without controller you can play games which are fully controllable with left mouse click. because right mouse click is done by 2 finger tap and I fail like 90% of those. It either registers as 2 separate LMB pressesor as RMB, but misses target.

Secondly, playing that great looking game on so small screen, not so good. I think it would be best with phone capable to connect to monitor without MHL. Or if you have OTG HDMI.