Asus GTX 580 DIRECTCU II or Asus GTX 580 Matrix

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Rrrox, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Rrrox

Rrrox New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 vapor-x
    Hi all!

This is my first post and I hope you guys can help me to decide! :)

My question is simple, which one is the best and why? I didn't find any review which could compare both cards. Also I'm considering the idea of having a SLI regime and I am not sure which one will works better.

Price difference isn't big between them but I wanna save as much money as I can.

Any advice is welcome!

:thumbup:

2. madmic3

madmic3 New Member

GPU:
    Asus 580gtx dcu sli
    Hi
    I run 2 gtx 580" dcu"s in sli
    You wont be disappointed

madmic3

3. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    personally i would say dont bother with the matrix. over here in australia, its overpriced compared to other cards offering a similar overclock. heck, you could buy a gigabyte 580 super overclock and it will have higher default clocks at a lower price.

4. iako

iako Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 LIGHTNING
    Isn't the Matrix a triple slot card?... depending on your mobo layout that could make SLi a bit toasty...

5. Rrrox

Rrrox New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 vapor-x
    Dont worry with that!

My mobo is an Asus MB RAMPAGE III EXTREME and my case a HAF X!

6. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    I bought two Matrix's' recently and am running them in SLI.

Really nice cards, they run cool and quiet!

My advice is that if you don't plan on overclocking them, don't go with the Matrix platinum cards.
    These cards are meant to be overclocked and have additional features on them to do so which the DCII doesn't have.

In terms of appearance, The Matrix easily wins over the DCII.
    (But that's just my own opinion).

My only disappointment with both the Matrix Platinum and DCII cards is that ASUS didn't release a 3GB VRAM version for each.
    Otherwise I think both are great cards and depending on your needs, I don't think you can go wrong with either. :)

7. Maziar

Maziar Member Guru

Both cards are triple slot.
    I was in the same dilemma and went with Matrix and I'm extremely satisfied with it.
    For me it wasn't much more expensive than DCII.Also it runs cooler/quieter/faster

8. swISS

swISS Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX980 Ti
    If price matters alot, get the DirectCU.

If not, Matrix.

9. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    If you can afford, go MATRIX. The DirectCU II is built for silence, whereas with the MATRIX you can choose between silence and extreme overclocking.

I believe EK Waterblocks makes custom waterblocks for the DirectCU II but not the MATRIX, though. But then again, if you wanted custom watercooled GPUs you probably wouldn't bother getting DirectCU II anyway I guess.

For optimum results with the MATRIX in SLI you should IMO consider not only leaving an empty slot between both of the cards but also a sidefan set up as an exhaust. This is because the cards blow part of the hot air inside the case so it's best to keep that air from rising upwards (from the 2nd card into the 1st one, and from the cards into the CPU aircooler if you have CPU aircooling). In addition, you should IMO try to utilize front-to-back case airflow to guide fresh air into the fans of the 1st card (but not to spread out the hot air coming from the cards, into all different directions).