Asus gtx 570 direct cu2 Overclocking.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by antboy6969, Nov 1, 2011.

1. antboy6969

antboy6969 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Hey guys let me go straight to the point: i cannot overclock my asus gtx 570 direct cu2 past 830/2000 with 1100Mv in MSI Afterburner and any higher core clock past 830 crashes 3dmark 11.

now im fine with the overclock of 830mhz but as far as i know the asus direct cu2 is suppose to be a overclocking monster but even my gigabyte gtx 570 overclocks past 900/2000 at 1075mv. So im wondering why a card that is more expensive and is designed from the ground up to overclock cannot overclock past a gigabyte gtx 570 which is a referance designed card?

and do not worry about the other components of my pc, people have allready confirmed in another thread that all of my pc components are compatible with eachother in this thread :http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=352495

2. Zboe

Zboe Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    You don't have a cherry picked GPU, just a good cooler and a non-reference PCB.

Pump up the juice and see what shakes loose!

3. antboy6969

antboy6969 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    i am thinking about water cooling my whole computer and videocard would i get higher clock with watercooling ?

4. Zboe

Zboe Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    If you add more voltage, you should get something more out of it.

If your at the limits of the card and still have thermal headroom adding water cooling isn't going to make the card magically better.

How hot is your card getting now?

5. antboy6969

antboy6969 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    Im sure its not the cooling of the card and in msi afterburner it only lets me ajust the volts up to 1100Mv anything lower than that at 830mhz crashes my card.

6. Sneakers

Sneakers Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Well raising voltage on the GPU will most likely raise the headroom for OCing aswell.

But 1.1V for 830 is quite weak so it should tell you the gpu is volt hungry, and even putting it on 1.2 V and water ( to manage temps ) might not give you anything much higher then 900 on core.

All speculation though, the scaling between voltage and core speed might not be linear at all, well most likely it isn't and therefore predicting without testing is tough.

7. Zboe

Zboe Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    Yeah, this is going to be one that you just won't know for sure unless you do it.

On the other hand I'm not sure I'd waste the time/money on that particular card just to find out.

If it was my card I would edit the BIOS, crank the volts and run it into the ground anyway. I don't think I have owned any GPU that lasted longer than a year with my abuse though. Except for my old Galaxy GTX 460 I handed down, it refuses to die.

8. antboy6969

antboy6969 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    MSI afterburner does not let me increse the cards volts over 1100Mv and is it woth it to edit the bios of my card and what are the downfalls of editing the bios of cards?

9. Zboe

Zboe Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    Editing the BIOS is how you enable more voltage so if you want your 570 to run faster there is no other option.

As far as downsides, if you don't know what you are doing you "could" brick the card. The first time I did it I used an old card that I didn't care about to get the hang of it and make sure I knew how to not just flash it but also how to fix it if I did mess it up.

10. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti FTW3
    1100mv is very high for just 830mhz, you should be able to reach 830mhz with the stock voltage or with just a minor bump to voltage at least. , at what test does 3dmark11 crash ?

11. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I know its not comparable as fermi is totally different from ati's chips... but my gpu will go from 775/1000 1.150v to 940/1150 1.172v totally stable (i can go further into the 1ghz on the core keeping almost same voltages but just don't want to shorten the life of the chip so fast and avoid overheating with the stock cooling.. i'm getting 76ÂșC max on furmark at these speeds though)

3 options:
    1) your PSU isn't delivering stable power to the VGA (tried switching 6-pin cables?) tried with another PSU just to be sure? you can do that if you have another build ! just use the other PSU to supply the card so you don't have to rearm both pcs.
    2) you got a gpu that won't oc well (which is quite weird as it is supposed to be cherry picked by asus and has the best materials for greater stability and temps)
    3) try a new bios for the VGA !

12. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    that's Direct CUII for ya, it can be quiet but that's about it.

i was about to buy this gpu too, but then i saw its voltage hungry and weak OC'er, so i passed.

for example mine needs 1.049v for 900mhz or 1.1v for 960mhz.

13. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti FTW3

you were really lucky ...that card must be the cherry of all cherry picks lol...you could mod the bios to change the voltage to 1.2v ....you would easily break 1000 mhz

14. antboy6969

antboy6969 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    if i do brick my card as far as i know i can still restore the old bios saved i can use it to restore the card back right?

15. antboy6969

antboy6969 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    i run the benchmark at performance mode.