ASUS GeForce GTX 480 Voltage Tweak edition review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

ASUS GeForce GTX 480 Voltage Tweak edition reviewTo compensate the deficits that NVIDIA enforced on the GTX 400 series the ODM and AIBs had to be creative they need to be on the lookout for some new...

More...

2. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    480 + WC and be happy

:tomcat:

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    It would be better, and more accurate, to indicate that the actual Power consumption would be your calculated GPU Load (232W) + IDLE consumption (~20W?) = 252W.

At least this way, you wouldn't be slated for incorrect power consumption ;)

I like your reviews, but you are slanting on one side a very very lot, by the LOOKS of things.
    Please prove us all wrong.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The power consumption is an indication measured at wall socket side, by default that already is a little relative. But fair enough .. you can add another 20~25W power for 'generic' non gaming usage - sure. BTW we are not slanting -- the method is used for ATI's cards as well.

Evil dead ... wow memories .. long time since I have seen that movie :)

5. silenthill

silenthill Banned

GPU:
    3 GTX 260 IN 3-WAY SLI
    The temp for this card is very high (90 C at full load) we really need to see some better air cooling for the GTX 480 something like two or three fan heat sink’s to get the temp down to around (70 C).

6. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Thanks for your reply hilbert.

if you could just add the idle power consumption to the load power you derive, you would have the "actual" power consumption, give or take a few watts.

I feel this value would add value to the quality of the review, since you are so close already.
    Just add idle power consumption, and you're there ;)

Keep up the overclocking, you're one of the only sites that really pushes the cards ;)

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah no problem, it's a fair assumption worthwhile to include/mention in future reviews. It was good to bring this to my attention.

8. silenthill

silenthill Banned

GPU:
    3 GTX 260 IN 3-WAY SLI
    What we really need in the review is actual power consumption of the card on its own without the system added on and I mean over clocked and ideal because readers then can calculate the power consumption with their own systems anyway I think you made an excellent point in your comment.

9. invisible69

invisible69 Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4870x2 2GB
    yeah, something like a clamp meter around the PCI-express power connectors, then add the 75W the mobo offers, and one can estimate the Real power usage of a graphics card I suppose :)

Great articles nonetheless ^.^

10. silenthill

silenthill Banned

GPU:
    3 GTX 260 IN 3-WAY SLI
    If the manufacturers of power supplies can put a power consumption two digit reader on their power supplies then why can’t the card manufacturers do the same thing I think it will be a great feature and will add extra character to the graphic card.

11. invisible69

invisible69 Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 4870x2 2GB
    Cause most ppl don't care :p

I think from a marketing perspective, it would be a waste of resources for graphics card manufacturers to use up precious space and needs to implement such a device. Then again MSI/Gigabyte do something similar with the LED's that represent the amount of power phases being used, and Asus have introduced something similar with the LED's on their 5870 Matrix that change colors according to load. Then again none really give us a quantitative measure of what they're using as regards to Power.

12. silenthill

silenthill Banned

GPU:
    3 GTX 260 IN 3-WAY SLI
    I have asked some hard core graphic technicians and they told me that it is possible but the reader will not be accurate because the GPU is getting power from two connections (motherboard (75w) +power cables from power supply) but after long discussions with them we reached a conclusion that the reader can display the power consumption coming through the power connecters on the card and you can add 75 W which comes from the motherboard and most of the time is constant and this will enable consumers to get a sharp idea of how much there graphic card is consuming but the main problem is that most graphic manufacturers don’t want to display the power consumption of their graphic cards( it is not a positive point for them).

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Silenthill ... stop posting your mesages in bold and red.

14. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Don't you see his posts are getting hotter and hotter :D

15. silenthill

silenthill Banned

GPU:
    3 GTX 260 IN 3-WAY SLI
    I’m surprised; I would think Don Vito Corleone would like the colour of blood

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Just to be crystal clear on this :

GPU TDP = (Difference between GPU Idle and GPU Load) + GPU Idle

You have derived the GPU load figure in your articleas 232W.
    Thats the difference between system idle, and Full GPU stress. Note that the GPU at idle is consuming power also, roughly 20W for Fermi I believe.

So,

GPU TDP = 232W + 20W = 252W which is close to the 250W official TDP.

atm, you're just missing the "+ 20W" bit to be perfectly accurate. ;)

Thanks again Hilbert for taking this into consideration.

edit : If you want to go the whole hog, since you have Volt-meters and such for extreme overclocking, using a PCIe x16 extension bracket would allow some wires to be soldered to it for measuring current draw etc.

A bit like they did at Hardware.fr/BeHardware here :

http://www.behardware.com/articles/781-1/report-the-true-power-consumption-of-73-graphics-cards.html

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  17. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    Hmm can this bios be used on the older ENGTX480 ? if it can does anyone have it! :D

18. cmatt099

cmatt099 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 580 Direct CUII
    Wondering the same thing and if so what program would I use to flash the bios

19. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I would be interested to know how the 480 performs @ 1080p DX10 enthusiast no/2aa.

I read several "professional" reviews on other sites and the results range from 35frames@1680x1050 - 45frames @1080p :S quite a difference.

All the benches I have seen around are always with 2 cards etc...

20. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti

Nibitor