Asus G1S, opinions?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Enozekun, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Enozekun

Enozekun Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT
    Hi all, i've decided to get myself a laptop for the first time. I'm not really a gamer so i don't need the beast of the beasts. But i'm going to take it to some LAN parties instead of my stationary so it should be able to play most current and older games ( Except Crysis or something crazy like that ;))

I work at a computer store and we have a G1S-AK111G for sale at a lowered price since it's standing out in the store, it normally costs $2 326,70 but i can get it for $1 878,60 which is pretty nice compared to other laptops in the same price-range. ( The dollar-price might seem kinda high but that since the swedish "krona" is very high compared to it )

For you people who don't want to look for info about it i'll post the basic here:

• Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.40GHz
    • 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667MHz
    • nVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB GDDR3
    • 250GB SATA 2.5” (5400RPM)
    • HDMI, e-SATA, firewire, bluetooth, Vista Ultimate, mouse and bag included

2. Havokie

Havokie Master Guru

GPU:
    4890 Vapor-X 950/1150
    We get absolutely ripped off here in Europe, don't we? In the US you can get a Gateway Laptop with an 8800GTX, and for the same price in euro, you can barely get a ddr2 8600gt...

The G1s is definitely a nice laptop, and the 8600GT is DDR3, so it's one of the better models to get - rock solid for most semi-recent games. Very fast overall laptop.

The only thing is, though, that not many people will be familiar with your economy, so it's hard to say if it's truly good value or not. The G1s costs about 1k here....which is about 1,600 US dollars. A dell Vostro 1500 with the same specs as the G1S costs about 700....which is about 1,000 Us Dollars. It doesn't have firewire, e-sata or hdmi though....

3. KommunistDK

KommunistDK Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD 5850
    I love my Asus G1S :) A great laptop for certain.

4. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    They are definitely solid laptops with great warranties and support. I'm very grateful I was able to snag the F8Sp-X1 from newegg for $975.00. It's normally $1,100 but it was on sale for $1,000 and I called up newegg and asked if I could receive any additional discounts for being a long time buyer. They politely said not normally but since they did appreciate my business they took off an additional $25.00 just because.

I've had it about a week now and I love it. Not only is it rock solid, it came with a configuration normally costing 50% more in other brands. It also came with a boat load of extras, like a very nice laptop case, mouse, and some other random stuff. Can't beat free 2 year accidental damage warranty too. I used to work for officemax and those warranties normally cost ~$300-400 extra.

If that's a good price for your location than definitely grab it up.

5. twarden

twarden New Member

asus f8spX1

The Kyle - Hey I just recently purchased the Asus F8SP-X1 and it is on it's way...I haven't really read many reviews outside of newegg.com

What else can you tell me about it - looking forward to getting it!!:)

6. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    guys... offtopic
    whats e-sata?

7. mcBu113t

mcBu113t Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX @635/1540/1060
  8. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    The only negative thing I can say is that the speakers arn't that great...and vista was a pain in the ass to un-bog with all that crap. Regardless, it's still one hell of a laptop and it has some neat features like facial recognition or fingerprint scan for logging in and/or replacing most passwords. It's running the whole adobe CS3 suite like champ though. Haven't tried any games yet.

9. s4_squalo

s4_squalo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 2GB
    get the asus m51sn-ap003g or the m51sn-ap067g

theyre cheaper (in AUD) and you get a T9300 @ 2.5GHz and a nvidia 9500M with 512mb dedicated