Asus G15 AMD Advantage killer notebook opportunity

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by Chastity, Oct 14, 2022.

1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...eonrx-6800m-512gb-ssd/6486485.p?skuId=6486485

Specs: 5980HX CPU, 6800M GPU 12GB, both delidded with Cryonaut Liquid Metal + vapor chamber heatsink, 16GB DDR4-3200 (max 32GB x 2), 2 NVMe slots takes up to 2TB NVMe per slot, 15.6" format, TKL KB, QHD 165Hz display IPS 98% DCI-P, no HDR. No Muxor, USB-C / mini-DP port is wired to dGPU. Comes with 280W PSU brick.

$1099 at Best Buy. I ordered one. :)

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    So it came in today, and I've been doing all my new machine setup, and still doing updates. Grrr

I would definitely use headphones or buds with this laptop, because under load it can go wooooosh! I also opened her up and installed 32GB of RAM and added a 2tb Intel 660p to the 2nd m2 slot so I can have some space. Kind of disappointed it doesn't come with 1TB NVMe. But at this price, you can afford to get a 2nd 2TB. It had no issue with detecting my HyperX RAM modules at 2936 (which I already had, which is why tey aren't 3200, and the BIOS has no RAM timing toys. I haven't yet tried Ryzen Tools)

[​IMG]

That's not backbleed, but reflections on the matte surface from the lights I turned on to take the pic. :)

So far the Wifi module in it has been behaving, so I haven't installed an AX210 in it. (Mediatek MT7921) Getting 1.2Gb over wireless, which is nice.

Kind of tired right now, so I will go more into it, especially after I am done updating more components and drivers.

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    OK, now that I am awake...

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/81434826?

11,301 Time Spy / 11,528 gfx / 10,169 CPU

Later I will be connecting the laptop to my 4K panel and doing some more tests. Also, the laptop is running official 22.10.1, and will try NimeZ 22.10.1 Multi-GPU setup.

I am beginning to understand the issues with MediaTek... seems if the lappy slips into Sleep, the card driver doesn't recover so nicely, and getting it to work again is a PITA or requires a reboot.

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Don't put the laptop in to sleep mode. Change the power option timers.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    So I have learned :) I may go into the registry and murder the Sleep option entirely

I also have an Intel Ax210 on hand I may just swap in.

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Intel isn't too bad nowadays, as far as Windows goes anyway.

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Intel and NVIDIA doesn't have the SmartShift tech. What this does is that it has a common power pool for the cpu and gpu, and will dynamically shift power up to 14% to either and apply an overclock depending on load and it's AI code, which is learning. I hooked up a 4K60 panel to it's USB-C port and tested it playing Diablo II Resurrected. (DX12) At native res it was doing about 54 fps, and as I was doing circles on the map, and watching AMD Link, I noted that it started tweaking the SmartShift up to about 9% over a brief amount of time, and my FPS grew to a smooth 60. I was rather impressed. :)

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
  9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    So I spent some time with the laptop yesterday figuring out how to master the fine art of lowering heat and keeping performance on this AMD Advantage system, and very much like AMD desktop hardware, undervolting is the key. The 6800M in this laptop is essentially a desktop 6700XT, and runs as hot as one at the tJunct hotspot. The other caveat is that the heatpipe is shared with the CPU, and despite being a vapor chamber, it can still warm the GPU, and the tJunct spot. Once tJunct hits 95C, throttle. (on current BIOS 318/320)

So the trick is to see if the game is CPU or GPU bottlenecked, and most likely GPU, and to reduce the power cap of the CPU, so that it uses less power and therefore generates less heat. You do this in the ARMOURY CRATE application and use the Manual Tuning option. Here you will have access to the adjustable fan curves for Silent, Performance, and Turbo, and 2 sliders for sPPT: APU and Platform. The APU slider is for the CPU, and Platform manages the shared power pool for CPU and GPU that SmartShift uses. You lower the APU then the Platform until you start to lose FPS, and then you raise it up a bit to keep the best FPS performance.

Case in point, the max range is 100w APU, and 190w Platform. I booted up SWTOR under DXVK Async and played it on my big 32" 4K@60 panel. The 6800M has an easy time with this old game maintaining 60 fps, but that pesky tJunct loves to creep up into the 90's C, especially on Turbo. However, the CPU doesn't get taxed much, so I lowered the APU power cap to 50w, and I played around with Platform and lowered it to 130W. The game still does 60fps at 4K native, but now the tJunct hovers around 77-82C, so I never see any throttling. Laymen can just stick to using the default Silent / Performance/ Turbo profiles. (The Performance profile is like Turbo, but it targets a 40dB fan noise level. Turbo goes for a higher fan noise level.)

Another concern of mine are spicy pillows, so I set my system to keep the battery at 60% charge, so that it doesn't stress, and eventually bloat. I mostly use the unit docked and powered, so this should help extend the life of the battery.

I've read about issues involving screen blanking and reboots, and I have a funny feeling all of that is tied to the quality of the paste job. My unit is a N2, so it's after the threshold of when Asus improved their paste technique. I haven't had any such issues so far. I also verified that the system is on latest firmwares and vBIOS. I'm also using AMD standard released drivers for chipsets and GPU. (Mobility Editions) If I do need a repasting, I plan on using my trusted ICD7.

10. dave11

dave11 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6800m
    Have had one of these for about 6 months now, the paste job on mine was horrendous with several cores bouncing of 96C and others in the high 70s so took it to pieces and it was like a mine field.

PXL_20220907_123214314_small.jpg PXL_20220907_123211042_small.jpg

M6 serial number.
    Had the motherboard replaced the other week as it just shut off mid game(guessing some LM spilt out after i caught the laptop mid air after it fell off the draws)

For overclocking/undervolting can try curve optimiser:
    https://github.com/JamesCJ60/Universal-x86-Tuning-Utility

This allows you to access the AMD overclocking settings in BIOS (CPU, RAM etc) need to disable secure boot to load it. I've not messed with it but works for changing timings and PBO etc.
    https://github.com/DavidS95/Smokeless_UMAF

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022

11. dave11

dave11 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6800m
    Managed to take a look into Smokeless BIOS and came out with the RAM overclocked to 3600Mhz instead of the the 3200Mhz default, same timings.
    Increased the RAM bandwidth and reduced the latency from 91ns to 69ns all stable with memtest, see how it goes.

Got the highest Cinebench R23 score of 14590.

Its certainly a big upgrade from the previous laptop (6820HK and 1070M)

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    G513QY is on sale again at Best Buy for $1099.

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Update: I finished doing my system upgrades, and I'd like to share

1) Mediatek Wifi ... I don't know what is up with their drivers, but the device does not recover well from sleep, and not detecting any Wifi networks. I have to go into Device Manager and disable / enable the device to get it working again. 3.03.xx supposedly fixes this, but I gave up on it completely and shelled out $23 for an Intel AX210 card. It just works. I think the system should have come with one of these originally.

2) Intel 670p 512GB NVMe ... why? This is 2023. The drive uses QLC, 6GB SLC cache (670p has 6GB per 512GB storage) and a dynamic QLC cache system that stops working when you hit 85% in use storage. You can fill up this drive rather quickly. The upside is that the system has a 2nd m.2 slot, and both are Gen3x4 thx to the 5980HX processor. So I had on hand a 660p 2TB that I used in a previous laptop for game storage. (QLC is fine for mostly needing read speed), and I replaced the 670p with a WD SN770 2TB, which has a Gen4 controller. Yes I know I'm limited to Gen3 speeds, but it works, and I max out the Gen3 speeds nicely. And it's TLC, so no odd cache limitations and slow speeds. I guess ASUS' thinking was that people usually upgrade their storage themselves, so why not cheap out.

I also picked up a heatsink kit for the WD, which came with .5 and 1 mm thermal pads, which is good, since the memory chip and controller aren't the same height, so I used pieces of both to get the sink level. Idle temps are 38-40C, and 55C under load with cooler off. I made the mistake of touching the heat sink... yeah it gets hot, being a solid slab of copper.

3) Replaced the 16GB DDR4-3200 with 32GB DDR4-2933 CL17 HyperX I had on hand from previous laptop. The 16GB sticks are dual rank.

4) Temps ... the hotspot is a bit high for my likings, and I'll probably repaste it when it gets intolerable. For now, I use Performance plan, and I play on a 4K@60 monitor over USB-C, so my hotspot gets to about 85-88C. Also depends on game, but I can maintain 60 FPS easily. My fans after 2 months only accumulated a little dust, so I cleaned them while I had the chassis open changing the storage drive. I do use a laptop cooler, and it does help with the temps.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  14. DonStanislao

DonStanislao New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3050 Ti laptop
    because it's a snappy drive,Intel tuned it to be like that. It's also quite energy efficent AFAIK. I had that drive (1TB model) in my previous laptop and had nothing to complain about.

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    First off, 512GB size from any maker is too small. Gets filled up too easily. And only having two m.2 ports means you need to use both of them to their best. After the switch, I've noticed start up time is even quicker, shaving off a couple of seconds, and OS is snappier, and noticeable.