ASUS equips the ROG Phone 6 with a Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 processor and a 165Hz screen.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    All that crazy specs and you won’t get any firmware updates after 2 years… until the Android ecosystem support a minimum of 5 years of updates for security and bugs at least, I’m not going back.

reix2x, scoter man1 and schmidtbag like this.
  3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    At that price point, I'd expect 5 years of system updates too.

LimitbreakOr likes this.
  4. It's down to the phones manufacturer, it's not an issue with Android itself. Samsung for example are doing 4 years worth of updates on their new phones and other companies seem to be doing the same. But I agree that something needs to be done to ensure all devices at the very least get security updates. The greatest strength of Android is the choice and openness of it's ecosystem, but it's also it's weakness.

LimitbreakOr likes this.

5. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    i fixed one of this phones (Rog phone 3 if i can recall), it had water damage, the quality of internals is pretty low, i wouldn't buy an Asus phone by any mean

LimitbreakOr likes this.
  6. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I could be wrong but i thought one of the limitation on Android phones was with the snapdragon chips which limited to 3 years of Is inception for support. It’s Samsung now using something else?

Google pixel phones only support 3 years of updates from release date.

I agree with you though, the openness is nice on Android but also its weakness. I remember the days when I used to tell people to avoid iPhones, ironic that now they are the best choice after they were caught red handed throttling their older phones.

My last Android phone stopped receiving updates after one year of ownership because my carrier stopped selling them, I stopped receiving updates even though the manufacturer was still making them. The chain of Google >manufacturer>carrier with probably the chip maker being involved too is why android ecosystem is awful.

reix2x likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    short support period has nothing to do with quallcom, everything to do with samsung.

LimitbreakOr likes this.